Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

4e: Community Sage Advice

4e: Community Sage Advice

In the event that one thread listing our many rules clarifications questions of each other will be of organizational use, I offer the Community Sage Advice thread!

Close Blasts and Forced Movement

Here's a scenario:

A character uses a Close Blast 5 power with Effect: move targets 3 squares away from caster. The only targets within the Blast effect are 5 squares away from the caster.

Does the power really move them a further 3 squares away?

I can see no rule that would suggest otherwise, so I would have to assume that is the case, but it seems mildly against the intent of the Close Blast.

(Then again, the push probably shouldn't stop at the edge of the Blast for targets that are 3 or 4 squares distant; it's just odd imagining that a target at the extreme edge of the Blast would be pushed well beyond that edge.)

The effect (a powerful blast that pushes you back) only hits those within the blast, but any within the blast move the full 3 squares.

Standing up from Prone

It appears as though standing up from prone no longer incites Opportunity Attacks. Has anyone seen anything that might refute this observation?

Charging

Two questions about Charging:

1. Earlier versions of the 4e Charge conferred Combat Advantage for one's foes after one charged. This no longer appears to be the case. Can anyone find any evidence to the contrary? If not, there no longer appears to be much of a penalty associated with Charging.

2. The 'No Further Actions' phrasing of the Charge action is odd. In my playtesting, we have just moved, minored, and then charged, which seems to subvert a portion of the spirit of the No Further Actions ruling but not subvert any direct rules. Anyone have an opinion about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
1. Earlier versions of the 4e Charge conferred Combat Advantage for one's foes after one charged. This no longer appears to be the case. Can anyone find any evidence to the contrary? If not, there no longer appears to be much of a penalty associated with Charging.
Except that you can only make a melee basic attack. No abilities whatsoever. So, your only benefit is a +1 to attack, and it would seem you can move twice - once to move, once to attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
Here's a scenario:

A character uses a Close Blast 5 power with Effect: move targets 3 squares away from caster. The only targets within the Blast effect are 5 squares away from the caster.

Does the power really move them a further 3 squares away?
Yes. The close burst emanates from the caster with no attacks of opportunity granted and has an area of 5 squares. All targets that are within the 5 squares are affected by the power, which in this case is a push effect for 3 squares.

Targets that started adjacent(square 1) from the caster would land with 3 squares in-between the caster(so on square 4) and its new location. A target that started 5 squares away(the edge of the blast) would land with 7 squares between the caster and him(8 squares away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Except that you can only make a melee basic attack. No abilities whatsoever. So, your only benefit is a +1 to attack, and it would seem you can move twice - once to move, once to attack.
Beats a sharp stick to the eye. I could see a charge-oriented fighter using a charge to get an opponent marked whereas otherwise they wouldn't have the opportunity.