Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

4e: Community Sage Advice

Sure, but charging, unlike abilities like hit and run, provoke OA, and has to be in a straght line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar View Post
Sure, but charging, unlike abilities like hit and run, provoke OA, and has to be in a straght line.
I don't read that it has to be in a straight line, merely that the movement has to be directly to the nearest square from which you can hit the target. Unlike 3.X charging, it appears you can move through squares occupied by an ally, move through difficult terrain, and move in other than a straight line as long as you move as directly as possible to the nearest square for striking.

It also appears as though Charging isn't the entirety of one's action, just that it precludes taking other actions afterwards as part of a normal round, though that language is odd and so causing me to ask the question.

Well, I don't know about your definition of 'directly' but I would put that as a straight line. I.E no taking a longer route to avoid OA.

You can charge around corners now which is...interesting, but you can't take an extra 3 steps to avoid provoking that OA from the guy between you and the bad guy...

No, but if Character A is 3 squares directly behind Character B, who is engaged with Enemy 1, Character A can charge in a straight line and then step diagonally to either side to be adjacent to Enemy 1, even if running down a 1-square corridor that terminated early enough for Character A to move diagonally in the last square of movement.

That would never have been possible in 3.5.