World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with D&D 4th Edition.

Tactics and Strategies of the Dark Conquest

hahaha, you'll get it anki, glad to have you on board. As long as there's no huge rush, I'm glad to take this on.

edit: That being said, Anki, why don't you start working on the short story since you seem ready to go. We're trying to work on all of this collaboratively (SP?) so post what you have as you go and we'll tear it apart for you

^_^ Thanks Val.

Edit: I take it that since the conqueror's would be using the land to feed their armies that they wouldn't use the scorched earth policy would they?

Edit #2: Are we going to be starting at the beginning of the Dark Conquest or prior to that?

I think some of them would use such a policy as scorched earth, but the main dark conquest was orchestrated by pretty intelligent creatures, so you're probably right that mostly the fields and even many of the citizens were allowed to survive.

We'll start at the beginning , but for the story, I would think either a story about the plight of someone or some group either while the dark conquest was conquering whatever kingdom you choose or decades or even centuries later when the conquest is firmly ruling the kingdom. What about a James Mitchner-esque tale of a family before during and after the Dark Conquest. Just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valanduil
I think some of them would use such a policy as scorched earth, but the main dark conquest was orchestrated by pretty intelligent creatures, so you're probably right that mostly the fields and even many of the citizens were allowed to survive.
Absolutely.

Quote:
We'll start at the beginning , but for the story, I would think either a story about the plight of someone or some group either while the dark conquest was conquering whatever kingdom you choose or decades or even centuries later when the conquest is firmly ruling the kingdom. What about a James Mitchner-esque tale of a family before during and after the Dark Conquest. Just an idea.
Hey great idea, Val. I like it a lot. But why does this remind me of the poem by Yeats:

Quote:
PARNELL came down the road, he said to a cheering man:
“Ireland shall get her freedom and you still break stone.”
But actually I imagine the life of even the average peasant would change a great deal, but the people's whose lives would have changed the most would have been the upper classes.

So, maybe an upper class family with a kid who's lets say 7 or 8 years old, and then later on his life when he's in adulthood?

Sure that sounds good. The family would suffer through the conquest and then when the kid reaches adulthood, he can describe life in an occupied kingdom.

Could I do it in like a journal entry type deal?

Hmmm, try it out however you like. I think the journal style might be difficult if you're going to pick up a whole generation later. You could have an adult looking back at his childhood journal, that might work. DOn't try to take this on all by yourself either. Keep up poisting your ideas as you have them and we can all share our input and thus emerge with a better product. You know seven heads are better than one and all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valanduil
You know seven heads are better than one and all that
I feel like a Hydra

Anki --
I completely agree with V... Open up a new thread and throw a bunch of ideas and thoughts out on this. When we do this, we almost always end up with a better project... Look at all of the conversations we've had on Stor Gris, Dark Races, Creation and Metaphysics, et al and you'll see how much going back and forth we did before we finalized everything... I mean, Farland won't even let anything get through without criticizing it at least once.<_<

Re: the style you are thinking about... Have you read the Diary of Anne Frank? That might make a good style, similar to what you are looking for... Actually, the content wouldn't be that far off either...