Okay then, I am going to be running a
less fatal version of my Trapped in Time for nWoD. I was planning on running a fantasy style game with magic, but I don't own Mage: the Awakening, so here's what I've got for a homebrew so far. My biggest concern is making the mage OP.
|Hey, I've got 3-4 RL players and I'm aiming for 6-12 here. Of course its going to be more fatal here!|
- Computer is replaced with Knowledge
- Science is replaced with Spellcraft
- Occult is replaced with Arcana
- Drive is replaced with Ride
- Casting magic takes Willpower. A level 1 or 2 spell costs 1 point, a level 3 or 4 spell costs 2 points, and a 5th level spell costs 3 points.
- Magic takes Level x 2 turns to focus and cast. Ex. A level 3 spell takes 6 rounds to cast.
- The Meditate Merit has been increased from * to ***.
- A character with access to spell can meditate for an hour per Willpower point to regain lost points. With the Meditative Mind merit, this is reduced to 45 minutes per point.
- When casting, you lose any Defense that you naturally have (cover, armor, etc. still apply). If you are in anyway disrupted you must make a Resolve + Composure check to continue. You need one success per spell level to continue.
- You can put an extra two dots into Eidetic Memory to be able to continue a spell with breaks. You can stop and continue the spell at any time, but if you begin a new spell, you lose the other spell.
- The Black Magic (* to *****) and the White Magic (* to *****) merits have been added. Each dot grants three new spells at the next level. Specifics to come. As usual, the 5th dot costs double.
- Magic(al damage) is determined by a Spellcraft + Intelligence check. Magic deals aggravated damage unless otherwise stated.
- Using a magical item requires an Arcana + Wits check.
- A spellcaster gets a penalty for any speed penalty she incurs from armor.
- The Arcane Focus merit (* to *****) has been added. You can have a item that serves as an arcane focus. As long as you have this item and use it to help in the spellcasting, you get a bonus equal to the amount of dot spent in the merit. Ex. Two dots will give you a focus that grants a +2 to magic checks.
- Arcane Resistance (***) merit has been added. You can replace your Defense (lowest of Dex or Wits) with your Arcana skill if you are fully aware of a spell that is about to be cast at you.
- Each player gets 35 xp to start the game, as they are all "seasoned" adventurers.