Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Half-Orc (D&D 4th Edition)

Half-Orc (D&D 4th Edition)

I'm playing in a 3.5e campagin that converted over to 4e afew months ago...but playing a half-orc was kinda of a problem with them not being part of the 4e PHB.
So...I worked up a rough version of the half-orc, but know would like to fine tune it for others here to use for their games if they don't like just using the orc from the 4e MM.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Rough Draft #1:

Half-Orc
Average Height: 6'0"-6'5"
Average Weight: 200-230lbs.

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution *or* +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Giant
Skill Bonues: +2 Intimidation, +2 Perception *or* +2 Intimidation, +2 Endurance
Orcish Ancestry: You can take feats that have either orc or human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for half-orcs), as long as you meet any other requirements. (Derived from Half-Elf Racial Traits, PbH:42)
Battle Frenzy: While you're bloodied, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. This increases to a +4 bonus at 21st level. (Derived from Gnoll Racial Traits, MM:277)

Warrior's Surge (Half-Orc Racial Power)
Encounter*Healing, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit 1[W] +Strength modifier damage, and you can spend a healing surge.
Increase to 2[W] +Strength modifier damage at 21st level. (Orc Racial Traits, MM:278)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes: I would love some help in making a unique encounter power for the half-orc...that the one thing that I have trouble in balancing out for the race.

I don't think of elves being durable, yet half-elves have +2 Con. I think a +2 str and +2 wis is a good mix.

These are half-orcs though - perhaps their part human ancestry has given them the mental prowess needed for Wisdom. After all, Wisdom by the PHB is the measure of "common sense, perception, self-discipline, and empathy," not necessarily being wise in the traditional sense of the word.

I agree with Victor Von Doom's choices. It's more interesting to have +2 STR and +2 WIS than +2 STR and +2 CON in my opinion, and I do think that the mixture of human and orc would provide that little bonus to the Wisdom score. And I would say Endurance is probably more of a racial skill for a half-orc than Perception.

I like it, and I'd definitely be willing to throw this into a game or two.

I think a wisdom boost is extremely appropriate.

Half-orcs tend to have unique insights on both orc and human nature, tend to have a connection to the natural world, they're often well-grounded and pragmatic, and the fact that so many look down on them for no good reason, or assume that they're fools and patronize them to get their own way. In either case, half-orcs get a better look at peoples true selves, and are more capable of empathizing with the pains of others due to what they have to endure.

Thus, you have a well-grounded, sensible race in tune with themselves, others, and the world around them, whose lot in life has given them an exceptionally well-rounded view of the world beyond what other species would be able to see in their place. This all makes wisdom look like an extremely appropriate choice to me.

With the race written up as is, a Battle Cleric would be an almost perfect fit for the half-orc. Fighter, too, would be a great fit for a class, and Paladin, while maybe not ideal, would still be a good fit, stat wise.

Maybe, instead of giving them the healing surge encounter power, perhaps they can have an encounter power in which they can add their Wisdom modifier to their next attack made that turn, or some such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletta Vadim
I think a wisdom boost is extremely appropriate.

Half-orcs tend to have unique insights on both orc and human nature, tend to have a connection to the natural world, they're often well-grounded and pragmatic, and the fact that so many look down on them for no good reason, or assume that they're fools and patronize them to get their own way. In either case, half-orcs get a better look at peoples true selves, and are more capable of empathizing with the pains of others due to what they have to endure.

Thus, you have a well-grounded, sensible race in tune with themselves, others, and the world around them, whose lot in life has given them an exceptionally well-rounded view of the world beyond what other species would be able to see in their place. This all makes wisdom look like an extremely appropriate choice to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgva8889
agree with Victor Von Doom's choices. It's more interesting to have +2 STR and +2 WIS than +2 STR and +2 CON in my opinion, and I do think that the mixture of human and orc would provide that little bonus to the Wisdom score. And I would say Endurance is probably more of a racial skill for a half-orc than Perception.

I like it, and I'd definitely be willing to throw this into a game or two.
Ya'll make a good point and I have to agree with ya'll on that wisdom would be the difference between a orc and a half-blooded...
I going to go with the +2 Strength and +2 Wisdom for the half-orc...and the +2 Intimidate and +2 Endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahluah
Maybe, instead of giving them the healing surge encounter power, perhaps they can have an encounter power in which they can add their Wisdom modifier to their next attack made that turn, or some such?
Hummm...I should have some type of rough encounter power up by tommorw for ya'll's reveiw... I've got to get some sleep now...

Why would you give them a gnoll racial trait?