Quick questions and answers - Page 22 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Hey I got another one if somebody could answer this for me...

What magical (or otherwise) items are out there that give bonus to hit. I would prefer it to be a ring, vest, weapon crystal, armor crystal (that's probably not going to happen) or something that doesn't take a body slot. The other "body slots" are taken up with useful schtuff.

Does using a wand of Scorching Ray provoke an AoO if used in a threaten space, because of ranged attacks provoke AoO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3kings View Post
Does using a wand of Scorching Ray provoke an AoO if used in a threaten space, because of ranged attacks provoke AoO?
Quote:
Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Spell Trigger = wands, staves, etc. Compare to Spell Completion such as scrolls.

Can you automatically fail a Dispel Magic caster level checks on spells that you have cast with an area Dispel Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispel Magic
For each ongoing area or effect spell whose point of origin is within the area of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to dispel the spell.
Two things:

1) Can you aim the dispel so that the origin of your area spell is not within the area of your dispel?

2) It states you 'can' make a dispel check against an area effect, not that you are required to make a dispel check. Perhaps twisting RAW, but that is what it says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithamar View Post
2) It states you 'can' make a dispel check against an area effect, not that you are required to make a dispel check. Perhaps twisting RAW, but that is what it says.
That IS twisting RAW. That means you have to know each and every spell in the area, if you want to dispel it, which, incidentally, isn't the case.

I mean I'm trying to use a Dispel Magic So I don't dispel anything on my character but get rid of a Lion from a bag of Tricks and Summon Monster 3 in one round.

You can voluntarily fail to dispel effects. (You can voluntarily fail at anything). You can also automatically succeed to dispel your own spells, if need be.