Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

According to this, an item that continuously granted Greater Spell Immunity would be 360,000 gp. A command word activated item of Greater Spell Immunity, usable 3/day for
Minimum caster level for 8th level spells is 15
150 minutes/use is 129,600 gp (2/day is 86,400 and 1/day is 43,200). Having it only be immunity to
+1 one more specific Spell, 2 more if you're willing to bump the CL to 16, which would up the cost as well.
Banishment and Dismissal might be a suitable restriction to lower the cost, instead of being able to choose the spells you're immune to every time you use it.

As an aside, and (and and as well, assuming Arrow Demons are Chaotic Evil) also have Banishment effects, if you're really worried about it.

Which is why Diminsional Anchor sounds better and better...need to ask my DM how he rules it...

If you are a tiefling with a tail, can the spell disguise self be used to hide it? What about horns?

The spell says "you could add or obscure a minor feature". What qualifies as minor? And what exactly does obscure mean in that context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
If you are a tiefling with a tail, can the spell disguise self be used to hide it? What about horns?

The spell says "you could add or obscure a minor feature". What qualifies as minor? And what exactly does obscure mean in that context?
I;d say horn and tail could be hidden, if only 1 have your tail as a 'belt' and hide the horns.

~D&D 3.5~

Ok, I've got some confusion over grappling and multiple attacks.

Lets say I've got a character with a +6 BAB and two natural attacks that may be made as secondary attacks. This means that a full attack routine would go: +6 (first main attack), +1 (second main attack), +1 (natural attack A), +1 (natural attack B). (Right? This is assuming that the creature doesn't have multiattack or similar).

Now, lets say instead the character is trying to initiate a grapple, and can do so with his natural attacks as well. Lets also say that his first attack was successful at initiating the grapple, doing the unarmed damage in the process. Is his turn over, or may he do something with the three remaining attacks? If he can use the remaining attacks, can he use them to make further grapple checks (to either do additional unarmed damage, or to pin, etc.)? In other words, are the three attacks wasted, or may he use them as normal for attacking in a grapple (and only attacking in a grapple), or may he potentially achieve a pin against his opponent with a single round? (i.e. first attack -> grapple attempt -> initiate grapple & unarmed damage -> second attack -> Grapple check -> pin).

Second question, this time regarding the feat/power Improved Grab. Improved Grab states that a creature may make a free grapple attempt after hitting with a natural weapon. Does this have the potential of doing double damage? If he hits with a bite attack (doing 1d6 damage), then gets his free grapple attempt, would a successful grapple attempt deal the same unarmed (natural) damage as normal on a successful grapple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuine View Post
~D&D 3.5~

Ok, I've got some confusion over grappling and multiple attacks.

Lets say I've got a character with a +6 BAB and two natural attacks that may be made as secondary attacks. This means that a full attack routine would go: +6 (first main attack), +1 (second main attack), +1 (natural attack A), +1 (natural attack B). (Right? This is assuming that the creature doesn't have multiattack or similar).
correct so far

Quote:
Now, lets say instead the character is trying to initiate a grapple, and can do so with his natural attacks as well. Lets also say that his first attack was successful at initiating the grapple, doing the unarmed damage in the process. Is his turn over, or may he do something with the three remaining attacks? If he can use the remaining attacks, can he use them to make further grapple checks (to either do additional unarmed damage, or to pin, etc.)? In other words, are the three attacks wasted, or may he use them as normal for attacking in a grapple (and only attacking in a grapple), or may he potentially achieve a pin against his opponent with a single round? (i.e. first attack -> grapple attempt -> initiate grapple & unarmed damage -> second attack -> Grapple check -> pin).
Barring special powers/feats/equipment, you won't be able to deal unarmed strike damage on a grapple initiation attempt, successful or otherwise
other than that, entering a grapple does not in-and-of-itself end an attack sequence, so yes, he would be able to continue

Quote:
Second question, this time regarding the feat/power Improved Grab. Improved Grab states that a creature may make a free grapple attempt after hitting with a natural weapon. Does this have the potential of doing double damage? If he hits with a bite attack (doing 1d6 damage), then gets his free grapple attempt, would a successful grapple attempt deal the same unarmed (natural) damage as normal on a successful grapple?
first, natural weapons are not unarmed strikes
second, again, successful grapple initiation attempts do not deal damage unless an ability/feat/etc specifies otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Barring special powers/feats/equipment, you won't be able to deal unarmed strike damage on a grapple initiation attempt, successful or otherwise
If this is true, why do the grapple rules in the SRD say:
Step 3
Hold. Make an opposed grapple check as a free action. If you succeed, you and your target are now grappling, and you deal damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike.

simple
because it's been far too long since I've actually used the grapple rules for 3.5, and I should take more time to check these things before answering questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
simple
because it's been far too long since I've actually used the grapple rules for 3.5, and I should take more time to check these things before answering questions
This is the source of my confusion also.

I have a question if anybody would help me? Though I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I'm currently developing a Goliath Barbarian character who will have a focus on great swords. Since he is a Goliath and has the powerful build trait he can use a large great sword rather than medium. As a style thing rather than for mechanics I was curious about using the Monkey Grip feat to be able to wield the weapon one handed. The only real benefits other than style I can see for this is the ability to free a hand up at need, for example with Goliaths being natural climbers, the ability to wield his weapon one handed while clinging to a climbing surface would be useful and add flare without really breaking the game, also a free hand could be used to push or shove an opponent in combat. My question is what is the likelihood of a DM agreeing on this feat being used this way? the feat itself would basically allow me to wield a 2h weapon 1 handed but will affor me a -2 to my attacks. I'm a greenhorn at all this so any help would be appreciated!