Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Podonis is starting up a generic game forum for different GM's to run different systems for single scenario games (ie. not a campaign or adventure).

Found here

Just a quick question: Can spiked chains be used as double weapons? It does not say that they can in the SRD but I am planning on building a character that uses one, and I want to know what my options are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessghost View Post
Just a quick question: Can spiked chains be used as double weapons? It does not say that they can in the SRD but I am planning on building a character that uses one, and I want to know what my options are.
No, they can't.

For D&D 3.5.

If I play a Wizard who continually uses Animate Dead, eventually creating more undead than I can actually control, is there any way to keep the uncontrolled undead from attacking myself or my party, besides taking the Lichloved feat?

Hide From Undead is usually a good choice, but it'll probably work against your controlled undead too. Beyond that, you could always just ask your DM if you can switch between the undead you command as something like a full-round action. Give one lot commands, back away out of their sensory range, switch to the next lot and let the first bunch get on with. Rinse, repeat, research a spell for it if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
For D&D 3.5.

If I play a Wizard who continually uses Animate Dead, eventually creating more undead than I can actually control, is there any way to keep the uncontrolled undead from attacking myself or my party, besides taking the Lichloved feat?
A few ways to do this:

1. Get some of the older or less desireable minions destroyed so you don't go over control limit. This could be as useful as driving them ahead of you as trap-checkers or as simple as ordering them to remain still while you bash them apart.

2. take the Master of Undeath feat fromComplete Mage. This one isn't perfect, but it will allow you to choose one undead you create and control it without counting against your control limits for caster level days (after which it becomes hostile). You can only have one undead like this at a time. Even though this may be the worst idea, you should take the feat anyway for those undead you plan on losing soon anyway as well as Create Undead spells (the feat never refrences Animate Dead) so you can control that Shadow you just created.

3. Send the old ones off somewhere if you don't care about them. Heck, burying them works wonders.

4. Cast Command Undead on the now-uncontrolled minions and re-cast every few days. They're mindless, so no save involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosHarbinger View Post
Hide From Undead is usually a good choice, but it'll probably work against your controlled undead too. Beyond that, you could always just ask your DM if you can switch between the undead you command as something like a full-round action. Give one lot commands, back away out of their sensory range, switch to the next lot and let the first bunch get on with. Rinse, repeat, research a spell for it if need be.
I suppose I should have been more clear about the situation. I was thinking about using unintelligent undead in swarms for hideout security, but I need a way for the other characters to bypass them without getting attacked.

But I completely forgot about that Hide from Undead spell. That's a lot less costly than the spell I had in mind. I think I can easily get every member carrying a crafted item with Hide From Undead 5/day.

Shirt of Wraith Stalking, Magic item Compendium p216. 6,000gp. Hide from Undead at will.

Actually better than the spell, because intelligent undead do not get a save...