Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastir View Post
Shirt of Wraith Stalking, Magic item Compendium p216. 6,000gp. Hide from Undead at will.

Actually better than the spell, because intelligent undead do not get a save...
Hrm... that's pretty interesting. Though a little costly. I'm not sure I want to burn 6k of my starting character wealth (starting level 5) on an item that won't get any use other than to make sure I can get safely into my base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Hrm... that's pretty interesting. Though a little costly. I'm not sure I want to burn 6k of my starting character wealth (starting level 5) on an item that won't get any use other than to make sure I can get safely into my base.
Secret tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul View Post
Secret tunnel?
Secret tunnels can be uncovered stumbled onto by accident. It's more secure to have traps that the members can bypass with the correct knowledge and/or items.

If I understand correctly, if I want to create a +1 weapon with a special ability on it (let's make that an ability which price is +1 bonus, like the Defending ability), it would cost me the same as creating a +2 weapon?

Or, in instance, if the ability's price is equal to a +3 bonus, adding it to a +1 weapon would make the weapon cost as much as a +4 weapon?

If this is wrong, how should I add the costs of abilities, when they simply state "Price= +X bonus"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4yne View Post
If I understand correctly, if I want to create a +1 weapon with a special ability on it (let's make that an ability which price is +1 bonus, like the Defending ability), it would cost me the same as creating a +2 weapon?

Or, in instance, if the ability's price is equal to a +3 bonus, adding it to a +1 weapon would make the weapon cost as much as a +4 weapon?

If this is wrong, how should I add the costs of abilities, when they simply state "Price= +X bonus"?
You're correct.

A +1 Flaming Longsword would cost the price of the masterword weapon, plus 8,000 gold for the effective +2 enhancement.

If you already have a +1 Longbow and you wanted to add the Splitting enchantment onto it, it would be an effective +4 enhancement, costing 30,000 gold (32k, minus the 2k of the +1 enchantment already present on the weapon).

This is, of course, assuming you straight up buy the enchantments. Doing them yourself costs half the gold price, but requires an expenditure of experience points.

This is where I ask how the hell can adventurers get good gear if not by finding it. I've never had more than 15k gp at one single moment, and I've played up to level 12th campaigns... -.-'

Geesh...

Thanks for the help! You're like an encyclopedia, Greyfeld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4yne View Post
This is where I ask how the hell can adventurers get good gear if not by finding it. I've never had more than 15k gp at one single moment, and I've played up to level 12th campaigns... -.-'
lol well, wealth levels are supposed to represent the worth of everything your character owns, which includes gold, jewels, equipment, property, etc etc. A lot of that wealth is usually soaked into the character's adventuring gear, which means that a lot of the time, you have to sell what you have to get the cash to buy new toys.

Then again, you could also just be playing in games where the DM doesn't know how to do loot distribution, I dunno :P

Quote:
Thanks for the help! You're like an encyclopedia, Greyfeld!
lol not even close. I just know that I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how enchantment pricing worked for a long time, so it's nice to be able to help other people who are having the same struggle.

so it's not just my problem. I like that.

I take the momentum to ask the following:

If I want to add the abilities of a Cloak of Elvenkind with a Cloak of Invisibility, I take the price of most expensive one and add the price of the less expensive one multiplied by 1.5, correct?

What if, instead of "merging" two cloaks, I'd like to merge, say, Gauntlets of ogre power and Helm of Telepathy?

I don't think you have to add a multiplier to combining the effects of the two cloaks, I think you just add the cost of the effects on top of each other, but somebody else might be able to verify that. I'm really only familiar with the general rules for armor and weapons, and cloaks fall under "wondrous items" which have their own rules as far as enchantment costs and restrictions are concerned.

As far as merging items from two different slots is concerned, I read somewhere that creating an item with an enchantment that doesn't normally go in that slot (For example, changing Gloves of Dexterity into a Helm of Dexterity) increases the cost of the item by 1.5x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
I don't think you have to add a multiplier to combining the effects of the two cloaks, I think you just add the cost of the effects on top of each other, but somebody else might be able to verify that. I'm really only familiar with the general rules for armor and weapons, and cloaks fall under "wondrous items" which have their own rules as far as enchantment costs and restrictions are concerned.

As far as merging items from two different slots is concerned, I read somewhere that creating an item with an enchantment that doesn't normally go in that slot (For example, changing Gloves of Dexterity into a Helm of Dexterity) increases the cost of the item by 1.5x.
This. I know you must multiply the price of the items you want to merge by something (maybe it is 0.75 for items that go into the same slot...). But that bold sentence explains some of my doubts.