Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

I'd say no, too situational and possibly to easy to get a permanent bonus in some campaigns.

I suppose it would depend a bit on the game and how exactly you were allowed to define your "charge". My instinct would be to allow it unless it looked like you were trying to abuse it.

Her charge is one person and only one person. She is actually 'tied' to this person. If she goes more than a mile away from them she risks dying.

The person she guards is not a combatant at all, in fact, if someone is close enough to hit him, he runs a very good risk of dying.

@Knight: How is it too situational and too easy to a bonus? Also, wouldn't those be two contradicting ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khakhan View Post
@Knight: How is it too situational and too easy to a bonus? Also, wouldn't those be two contradicting ideas?
no it's not contradictory. If it's whenever anyone lands an attack. That means there's a possibility that it almost never comes up (too situational). But if the GM decides to make it so it comes up often enough be a waste of a feat. Then it will boil down to a flat bonus whenever your charge gets a hit. Her stats aren't the issue, the issue is that this wording is a free excuse to give you a bonus against anyone who manages to hit your charge regardless of how different they may be. Favored Opponent is meant to be akin to favored enemy, a specific definable group of enemies. Not a completely unrelated group that manage to land hits.

In GURPS, how do you represent a character having multiple bodies? Not in a "Superpower" way, but like an AI with multiple separate robotic bodies.

I just found out about GURPS recently, and this seems like an interesting idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zale View Post
In GURPS, how do you represent a character having multiple bodies? Not in a "Superpower" way, but like an AI with multiple separate robotic bodies.

I just found out about GURPS recently, and this seems like an interesting idea.
It would depend on how the bodies are used.

If the AI can only use one body at a time (ie it takes the full focus of the AI to control), then it would be a form of Possession with the Enhancement Telecontrol and limitation Puppet Only and possibly Mindlink.

Multiple bodies (at the same time) might be built off the Mind Control advantage along with the AI having Compartmentalized mind (one for each body). Again Puppet would be an option as a limitation on the Mind Control

The body would be built as an Ally with the puppet disadvantage.

It would be extremely expensive though, though there are probably ways of getting the price down a decent amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDarksword View Post
It would depend on how the bodies are used.

If the AI can only use one body at a time (ie it takes the full focus of the AI to control), then it would be a form of Possession with the Enhancement Telecontrol and limitation Puppet Only and possibly Mindlink.

Multiple bodies (at the same time) might be built off the Mind Control advantage along with the AI having Compartmentalized mind (one for each body). Again Puppet would be an option as a limitation on the Mind Control

The body would be built as an Ally with the puppet disadvantage.

It would be extremely expensive though, though there are probably ways of getting the price down a decent amount.
It was the first one. Thank you for the help!

Ok, I'm still a little fuzzy on the use of scrolls and how that works with a Cleric with the Magic domain.

I've got 14 Intelligence and short of borrowing the resident wizard's intelligence boosting gear, I could buy (or have someone else cast Fox's Cunning) and then I can use a permanency scroll and as long as I make my casting check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiov View Post
Ok, I'm still a little fuzzy on the use of scrolls and how that works with a Cleric with the Magic domain.

I've got 14 Intelligence and short of borrowing the resident wizard's intelligence boosting gear, I could buy (or have someone else cast Fox's Cunning) and then I can use a permanency scroll and as long as I make my casting check?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD(Magic Domain)
Use scrolls, (...) as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD (Activating Scrolls)
  • The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine).
  • The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
  • The user must have the requisite ability score.
With a Fox's Cunning (or an +2 Int item), all three conditions are met, thanks to the Magic Domain's granted power.

Unless your cleric is at least level 18 (and thus counts as
assuming minimum caster level for the scroll
Wizard 9 for the purpose of activating scrolls), you'd need to succeed on a caster level check, yes.

Consider, however, that Permanency may call for higher caster levels, depending on the effect that you try to make permanent. Unless the scroll had been created at a sufficiently high caster level, that might restrict the allowed uses of the Permanency Scroll.

For a dungeons and dragons 3.5 edition "Screw ecl, LA and balance lets go crazy" game what would be considered the "best" template to add to a sorcerer monstrous character?

I.E something with a big charisma racial ability mod and anything else useful.