Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Think it's a spot rule, Nexus.

Cinders, yes you can, but someone else will have to give you the gritty bits, 'cuz I just plain don't remember.

A question here (Pathfinder)

If your hands are in manacles, can you still use spells with Somatic components? The SRD says that a somatic component is a precise movement of the hand, but does it have to move around, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
Manifesting a power. Is it possible to hide a manifestation? What's the DC if so? Is it possible to make it seem like something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloftheOdd View Post
Cinders, yes you can, but someone else will have to give you the gritty bits, 'cuz I just plain don't remember.
I direct you to the expanded Concentration rules in the EPH (or SRD), in the table listing, "Attempting to manifest a power without its display".
I'm not aware of any rules allowing for the manifestation of a power in such a way as to deceive onlookers as to that power's nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
I direct you to the expanded Concentration rules in the EPH (or SRD), in the table listing, "Attempting to manifest a power without its display".
I'm not aware of any rules allowing for the manifestation of a power in such a way as to deceive onlookers as to that power's nature.
I don't think there's anything rules-wise, but I could see you using a free action to make the display-less power seem to be caused by something else, like timing it so that a faked sneeze coincides with your manifesting of a display-less telekinetic thrust to make it appear as if your sneeze was so powerful it blew someone across the room. :P

Question for D&D 3.5:

In the Cityscape book, the Ebonmar Infiltrator prestige class includes a Speed Reader ability, which lets a character read a full page of text as a full-round action. My question is: How long does it NORMALLY take a character to read pages of text? Maybe I'm missing it and it's right under my nose, but I can't seem to find printed anywhere the rules for how long it normally takes a character to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Question for D&D 3.5:

In the Cityscape book, the Ebonmar Infiltrator prestige class includes a Speed Reader ability, which lets a character read a full page of text as a full-round action. My question is: How long does it NORMALLY take a character to read pages of text? Maybe I'm missing it and it's right under my nose, but I can't seem to find printed anywhere the rules for how long it normally takes a character to read.
Honestly, based on other uses of reading (for instance, using a scroll, which by the rules for writing spells in a spellbook could be multiple pages in length, and is still always only a standard action to read and cast the spell on the scroll), that feat seems incredibly underpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
Honestly, based on other uses of reading (for instance, using a scroll, which by the rules for writing spells in a spellbook could be multiple pages in length, and is still always only a standard action to read and cast the spell on the scroll), that feat seems incredibly underpowered.
Is there something that would lead you to believe that scrolls follow spellbook rules for determining the volume of their contents?

Good point! However I also failed to mention it said it can be used even in conjunction with a Decipher Script check or the use of Comprehend Languages...and an interesting tidbit I found in the Comprehend Languages spell is that "Written material can be read at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute." And under the Decipher Script skill, it says, "Deciphering the equivalent of a single page of script takes 1 minute (ten consecutive full-round actions)." So it would seem the rate of normal reading is 1 page per minute...so in theory Speed Reader could be really useful in certain situations.

It does seem weird to me that it takes 1 minute to read a page of text but only a standard action to activate a scroll. Almost seems like you don't even have to read the scroll, but just flap it around or push a button on it or something...