Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Mostly I was thinking in terms of the much more significant Coriolis effects of a small-diameter (less than 1000 km) O'Neill Cylinder. It should be reasonable that ranged attacks by one familiar with standard gravitation would suffer until it's compensated for (a feat?), and the same applies to a Cylinder denizen who found himself on a planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentWizard View Post
Mostly I was thinking in terms of the much more significant Coriolis effects of a small-diameter (less than 1000 km) O'Neill Cylinder. It should be reasonable that ranged attacks by one familiar with standard gravitation would suffer until it's compensated for (a feat?), and the same applies to a Cylinder denizen who found himself on a planet.
I see. Since the effect would be sort of similar to wind, I'd suggest a -2 or -4. It also makes sense to decrease range increments of bows and crossbows.

On the other hand, I think it wouldn't affect short range attacks, so maybe an additional range penalty, regardless of weapon would be better. Arrows might be less affected, because they are light and are guided by the surrounding air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerostoth View Post
What's an O'Neill cylinder?
It's a type of megaconstruct; essentially a cylinder a few miles long and a third that in diameter. People live on the inside, and it's rotation produces gravity through centrifugal force. The Rama series of books takes place on/in an O'Neill cylinder.

Oh, and AW's physics-insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger92 View Post
Also, can natural attacks be enchanced like weapons?
There's a magic item in Savage Species that does this. It gets to be expensive when you're enhancing multiple attacks, but for just unarmed strikes it's no more expensive than any other magic weapon.

The surrounding air, however, would also have funky air currents due to the rotation differential. It's like having the trade winds and doldrums of Earth, except much more tightly packed.

This thread is intended for quick questions and answers. Please take any discussion to another thread so as not to clog this one. Thanks.

How much heat damage does mixing quicklime with water create, and for how long?

What skill check is necessary to construct a focus-based optic rangefinder? A long-baseline parallax optic rangefinder?

It's not gibberish if it makes sense to at least two people.

I'd say Craft (Lens-Grinding) or maybe Profession (Optician).