Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Collaborative Writing

Collaborative Writing

As we were kicking around the idea of collaborative writing, and it was my silly idea in teh first place, I thought I'd start this thread to get your ideas as to what this would entail.

I was envisioning a framework wherein we begin with an idea - perhaps a blurb of several hundred words, describing a setting and/or an initial character. We could then 'pass it on' to whoever decides they have a few minutes and an idea, whereupon they would continue the thoughts, expound on them or branch off to another scene, another setting or developing another character. The initial portion could be anything the starter wants, and that exalted position could be passed about round-robin style.

Questions:

- Perchance, is anyone still interested in such a thing? I am. Hell, if no one else is, I'll just start writing, when the time comes, I ain't proud.

- Is this worthy of guarding thru GoogleDocs, or some such mechanism? I'm not sure it would be easily handled thru such a medium, as it would be easier to just add a post, one after the other, so that we could read what's been posted so far and to gather a sense of continuity.

- WOuld it be a good idea to have a post in the thread to handle "the batting order", so no one steps on other writers' toes? I was thinking, you could sign in and add your name, and a time/date you'd need the board cleared. A writer could always sign in and give himself a day, when he knows he's going to write, and write it in word or another program, then cut and paste it into the next post to keep from tying up the thread or from cross-talking.

- it follows, then, that another thread would be for discussion of previous writing (Hey, that's not what the character would do!) (Hey, that was good) (Hey, what would the character do if...?) - that sort of thing.

- Then what? If we think it's wrapped up enough, we can guide it toward a conclusion, perchance.

- would we have different styles? "You betcha!", in the words of Sarah Palin. Would that be good? Yes, most probably, as we'd have a fullness and richness of ideas.

- would we expect a full publishable story? Doubtful, at least until we start to click. Would we have a coherent story? Possible so. Would we learn a lot from each other? I have no doubt but that we would.

- I forsee a time line of a reasonable length, but not necessarily specified or written in Mithril. We can discuss how it's going inj the discussion thread. If it's about to die, we write, "And a big tree falls on everyone and they die", and start again.

- Is this what you all might have expected? Or am I missing something? I doubt that we'd want to chop it up into tiny bits (Hey, Kerrz, the character just opened his mouth, what would he say?), as we'd want to finish an idea or scene, and break it up in logical places. But I doubt we'd want to go on and on for a dozen pages before handing it off.

- And I don't think we'd specialize (RJ, you're better at describing scenery, put something in here).

I'm running this up the flagpole to see who salutes. If you want to start this way, then branch off into more serious partitioning of work for another project, I'm tickled pink.

Quote:
- Perchance, is anyone still interested in such a thing? I am. Hell, if no one else is, I'll just start writing, when the time comes, I ain't proud.
I intend on giving Collaborative Writing its own folder in the forum. Do you want to be GM in charge of thread management for that folder?
Quote:
- Is this worthy of guarding thru GoogleDocs, or some such mechanism? I'm not sure it would be easily handled thru such a medium, as it would be easier to just add a post, one after the other, so that we could read what's been posted so far and to gather a sense of continuity.
So long as everyone understands that the work is considered published by many standards, keeping it open seems best.

Quote:
- WOuld it be a good idea to have a post in the thread to handle "the batting order", so no one steps on other writers' toes? I was thinking, you could sign in and add your name, and a time/date you'd need the board cleared. A writer could always sign in and give himself a day, when he knows he's going to write, and write it in word or another program, then cut and paste it into the next post to keep from tying up the thread or from cross-talking.
Yes. Old stories can be sent to an archives, discussion threads can be properly labeled, all taking place in its own folder to keep clutter low.

Quote:
- it follows, then, that another thread would be for discussion of previous writing (Hey, that's not what the character would do!) (Hey, that was good) (Hey, what would the character do if...?) - that sort of thing.
Sure, why not?

That's my input, hope it was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
I intend on giving Collaborative Writing its own folder in the forum. Do you want to be GM in charge of thread management for that folder?.
Sure, if Kany doesn't mind. I'm a little unknowledgelable as concerns the GM's abilities or powers, what he can do, what threads he can change, etc., which you may have to fill me in on, later. For instance, I was thinking of taking the next person's post and copying it into the main story at the next position, and deleting their post, to eliminate clutter. Maybe denoting where they started and stopped in the final cut:

(WonderWoman)...yadayada...and the policeman lowered his weapon....for now"
(Kanavel - )
"The young man began to lower his as well, as teh rest of the group...yadayada..."

And so on. It may break up the continuity at first, but would be helpful in assessing each other's parts. I can always go back and copy/paste and clean it up, and we'd have just two posts for the actual story.

And the "batting order" post would have to be editable by anyone, I would think, so they could write down when they're open. We'll discuss.

Agricolus, I'm up for the challenge of collaborative writing. This was evident in my participation in the "santa" story. Who knows we could have developed that to the deep underground that exists in the North Pole. Ruled mostly by followers of Vornoth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolus
Sure, if Kany doesn't mind.
Of course I don't mind. I support you 100% Agricolus.

I don't think it is much different than playing an actual PbP game. You never know how the other players are going to twist and turn the story with each post. You can only react or choose a new action to what someone else has posted.

Having its own thread would definitely be good. Then those who do not wish to participate will not have to frequent the writings. And I see nothing wrong with posting it right here at the MW. Since it potentially could be a large collaborative effort meaning many contributors I don't believe tit would really be publishable.

As for a "batting order", I don't believe we need one. If I pop buy with a few minutes to write a hundred or so words I don't want to wait around until my turn to write. There is the great possibility that we will "cross post" with someone else who is writing at the same time. In that case, it should just be first post wins. Whoever's post show's up first is good to go. The other person should rewrite his or her post accordingly.

Now if your "batting order" was referring to who was going to start the story I think that could work. Unless someone who is up doesn't step up to the plate. Then we can either take a pinch hitter or whoever is on the warmup spot.

I look forward to the first story.

I write in dozens of collaborative stories here on the boards. I see no reason to avoid writing in one more. I'm in.

As for the hiding on google docs thing... don't worry about it. Just do it here. If we get really good at writing collaboratively, then maybe we can worry about it. But for just now? Nah. No big deal.

OK, thanks for your input, so far. Anyone else? I tend toward not thinking so much about these types of things, as it will be what it will be.

This reminds me of when I was the president of our town's chess club. Not that I'm that good, just everyone else took two steps backward. I invented a game of 'tag team chess'. There was no talking allowed, and two to a side. One would make a move and hit the clock, getting up from the chair to relinquish it to his mate, who would then wait and respond to the other side's move. It became very interesting, as you had to think like your partner, and was fun. You would often have a bishop dance back and forth as the teammates got more and more upset and tried too hard to think.

The 'batter's up' scenario may not be needed, then. Makes sense, we can change posting if needed. As soon as we get a place to post, and I get up to snuff on the technology, I'll start with something. Pending comments by others, of course.

This sounds like a bit of fun. I used to do this with schoolmates while bored. Good entertainment, to be sure.

Would this be in an open thread, or a game thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenproof View Post
This sounds like a bit of fun. I used to do this with schoolmates while bored. Good entertainment, to be sure.

Would this be in an open thread, or a game thread?
Check out the MW Writers' Guild linked in my signature. We often run collaborative writing threads there.

How would one apply to such a guild? Just start postin'?