4E Feats Conversion and Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Here is a conversation that pertains to our racial diversity feat.

We probably need to limit the races that this applies to -- or the sources.
I'm not sure that represents a problem, though. That person wants to use a racial feature. Our feat as written definitely would not allow that.

My concern is the use a feats designed for monstrous characters... If you don't think it'll be an issue, then I'm cool w that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
My concern is the use a feats designed for monstrous characters... If you don't think it'll be an issue, then I'm cool w that.
Good point. Some monstrous feats are more powerful than feats aimed at "standard" PC races. Unfortunately, there's little outside of DM fiat to limit this.

Adding "Pick another race in the Player's Handbook" means drow and genasi (both added as "standard" races in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide) won't work.

However... if these feats are intended to remain specific to the Farland Campaign Setting, this becomes less of an issue. A limitation along the lines of "Pick another Farland player-character race from the list
"here" would like to the appropriate list
here." becomes doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Good point. Some monstrous feats are more powerful than feats aimed at "standard" PC races. Unfortunately, there's little outside of DM fiat to limit this.

Adding "Pick another race in the Player's Handbook" means drow and genasi (both added as "standard" races in the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide) won't work.

However... if these feats are intended to remain specific to the Farland Campaign Setting, this becomes less of an issue. A limitation along the lines of "Pick another Farland player-character race from the list
"here" would like to the appropriate list
here." becomes doable.
Maybe just add "pick another race approved by your DM" or something?

On another note, would this be totally off the wall for Reckless Strike?

Reckless Strike
Heroic Tier Feat
Benefit: You may choose to use this feat when you make a melee attack against a target. You get a +2 feat bonus to one attack roll against that target but immediately provoke an opportunity attack from it. This feat may not be used in conjunction with power attack.

Is that too penalizing?

I would actually allow it to be used with power attack. But I think it's suppose to be +2 bonus to damage, not attack. Reckless would make the attack less accurate, not more.

If power attack reads as a feat bonus, which I don't think it does, they wouldn't stack automatically. I suggest dropping the feat bonus part, because then it doesn't stack with weapon focus or any things like astral fire.

How about if you change it to 'Immediately after your attack and before any other actions are taken, you are subject to an AOO from your opponent?'. Maybe you should also add a +2 feat bonus to damage as well to power it up a bit.

That way, you could drop your opponent and not be subject to an AOO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune Tsuki View Post
I would actually allow it to be used with power attack. But I think it's suppose to be +2 bonus to damage, not attack. Reckless would make the attack less accurate, not more.
It's implying that you are ignoring your own defenses to hit your opponent. Also, if it became a +2 to damage, it would be roughly the same as PA.

I have to agree with kitsune on this one, the name reckless strike definitely makes me feel you're sacrificing something for damage.

Maybe focused strike, or concentrated, or contemplated.... I don't know, but something that shows that you're focusing on the target but not on the surrounding area. For now I'll just use your old name though.

as for Benefits From what I've seen most 4e feats seem to be conditional rather than reprisal. If you want it to be reprisal that's fine, but if you want it to be conditional you could say reserve this for encounter attacks, or daily attacks. It'd give that extra oomph to daily attacks, making sure they hit, and won't take anything away. It seems to be powers that have both negative and positive. I know it's already limited to Melee attacks, but that's not nearly as limiting as blade opportunist.

Reprisal: If you do go with reprisal, I'd suggest either the OA that you have there, or granting combat advantage until the end of your next turn. That means that how detrimental it is can be entirely circumstantial.

Prerequisite: Most feats seem to also have prerequisites. often times it's something small like Str 13. I'm not sure how you view this, but if it is a focused thing you may want to go with a mental stat. Since you have it at melee str would work too.

Something similar from Martial Power:

Rash Sneak Attack
Prerequisites: Human, rogue, Sneak Attack class
feature
Benefit: When you deal Sneak Attack damage,
you can choose to gain a +2 bonus to the damage
roll. If you do so, you grant combat advantage to all
enemies until the end of your next turn.

Feats are generally written along the lines of an IF...THEN statement: IF you do X, THEN Y happens.

Lots of feats and powers grant Combat Advantage to all opponents until the end of your next turn. This is a +2 bonus to ALL attack rolls from EVERY opponent on the field. If you're surrounded ... or can be surrounded, that's a massive penalty by itself. It gets worse if even one of those opponents has an ability which triggers off Combat Advantage (like Sneak Attack).

Back to Reckless Strike ...

Disallowing Allowing its use with Power Attack isn't that big a deal, I think. That's +2 damage at no penalty for the cost of 2 feats. It's not hard to do the same thing with other two-feat combinations.

Edit: I think the paragraph above makes a bit more sense now...

However, it's the attack bonus that concerns me. 4E attack bonuses are as rare as hen's teeth. Most are highly conditional. This may be limited to race, spending an action point, or making a certain type of attack (most commonly an Opportunity Attack). There is exactly 2 which grant more than a +1 bonus:
+2 to OAs with Light or Heavy Blades, stacks with Combat Reflexes
Blade Opportunity and
+3 to attacks with Action Point, human only
Action Surge.

+2 to attack rolls whenever you like, even with drawing an OA or granting CA, is too much.

At Sith's advice I only made it usable with at-will attacks. Is the +2 while provoking an OA still too much?

Plus many powers are STR +2 or whatever to attack.