Paragon Paths/Prestige Class Conversions

The Spellbinder is up in my thread.

By the way, I personally like my take on the Council Sentinel more than Squeak's. Different basic ideas of the PP, though.

Here's an attempt at Pikeman. Please shred it.

Pikeman

"Give me my pike, and I'll give you a skewered foe."

Prerequisite: Fighter Class

Your mastery of your pike or polearm grows even greater. You control a battlefield, striking at close and extremely long ranges, and deal massive damage with your chosen weapon.

Pikeman Class Features

Polearm Reach (11th level): You gain the feat Polearm Gamble for free. This feat does not count as the feat you gain at 11th level.

Tripping Pike (11th level): When an enemy provokes an opportunity attack and you are wielding your polearm, upon a hit you may choose to knock the enemy prone rather than dealing damage.

Extreme Range (16th level): The reach of your polearm extends by one square. This does not affect the Polearm Gamble feat.

Pin Him Down, Pikeman Attack 11

You pin your foe to the ground.

Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action------Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength +2 vs AC
Hit: 2W + strength modifier damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Set for a Charge, Pikeman Utility 12

You set your pike to impale a charging foe.

Encounter ✦ Weapon
Immediate Reaction------Melee 1
Trigger: You are hit by a charging foe.
Effect: The charging foe that hit you takes 1W+str modifier damage from your pike.

Vaulting Strike, Pikeman Attack 20

You strike your target then use your polearm to vault over him.

Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action-----Melee Weapon

Attack: Strength vs AC
Hit: 3W+ strength modifier damage, and you may shift up to four squares. When using this power, you may shift through the squares occupied by your target, though you may not end your shift in them.

As I recall, pikes worked much better against cavalry because, when braced, they turned their power against them. What would happen if "Set for a Charge" became a stance that reflected the damage of the next charge against them?

I probably should go read the rules on mounted combat again as well.

First thought? No additional benefit when spending an action point. I'm not sure if there's precedent for this omission.

Second thought: How does this compare to Polearm Master in Martial Power (p31)? I won't have time to make that comparison until later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
First thought? No additional benefit when spending an action point. I'm not sure if there's precedent for this omission.
Huh?

Quote:
Second thought: How does this compare to Polearm Master in Martial Power (p31)? I won't have time to make that comparison until later this week.
Errrr.... it compares in the sense that I totally forgot there was a Polearm Master path. Damn. I will check when I get home. Grrrr.

Okay, I checked the polearm master path, and doing so showed me that my extreme reach ability is too good. Other than that the Pikeman looks fairly comparable but different enough. Now we have to decide if we want to just scrap Pikeman as redundant or keep it as an alternative class.

One of the things that Dr M was talking about earlier was that at 11th level, all classes have a power that is somehow tied to the use of an action point. You skipped that on the Pikeman, and gave him an 11th level power not related to the use of an action point.

How would you feel about reworking this as a warlord subclass?

I could see a Master of the Phalanx paragon destiny being cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
One of the things that Dr M was talking about earlier was that at 11th level, all classes have a power that is somehow tied to the use of an action point. You skipped that on the Pikeman, and gave him an 11th level power not related to the use of an action point.
Guess I missed that.

Quote:
How would you feel about reworking this as a warlord subclass?

I could see a Master of the Phalanx paragon destiny being cool.
Hmm an interesting idea. Would it involve a pike though? If not, it seems to be a totally different idea.

We could actually probably keep the name Pikeman, but I was picturing everything would need to tie back to a Phalanx in concept. That is really the main use for a pike anyway.

Ideas including abilities such as
* Gain the shield benefit of an adjacent ally
* Free shift as an interrupt when an adjecent enemy shifts
* Attacks providing benefits for setting your pike

I can try to write something up, but it'll be later this week before I have time. If anyone else wants to give it a shot, please feel free.

Great idea, Squeak! Here's an attempt at a Master of the Phalanx path to replace the Pikeman.

Comments?

Master of the Phalanx

"Give me my pike and my men, and I'll give you a skewered foe."

Prerequisite: Warlord class

Your mastery of your pike and its best use in formation extends to your comrades. You direct them to break enemy formations and crush enemy lines.

Master of the Phalanx Path Features

Strike Early (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, the melee weapons of your allies gain the reach property until the start of your next turn. Your allies need to be able to see and hear you for their weapons to gain this property. Weapons that already have reach are unaffected.

Polearm Reach (11th level): You gain the feat Polearm Gamble for free. This feat does not count as the feat you gain at 11th level.

Phalanx Shield (16th level) (16th level): When you score a critical hit using a polearm, you and all your allies gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.

Break Their Line, Master of the Phalanx Attack 11

Your tactical direction causes your allies to devastate the enemy line.

Encounter ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action------Melee Weapon
Prerequisite: Must be currently wielding a polearm.
Hit: 2[W] + strength modifier damage, and until the end of your next turn, all allies that can see and hear you gain the ability to push any target they successfully hit a number of squares equal to your intelligence modifier.

Set for a Charge, Master of the Phalanx Utility 12

You set your pike to impale a charging foe and in doing so set an example for your troops.

Encounter ✦ Weapon
Immediate Reaction------Melee 1
Trigger: You are hit by a charging foe.
Effect: The charging foe takes 1[W] + strength modifier damage from your pike. The charging foe is pushed 1 square and the attack misses.

Strike Together, Master of the Phalanx Attack 20

You direct your companions to strike in unison.

Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action-----Melee Weapon

Hit: 2W+ strength modifier damage, and three allies within 5 squares of you make melee basic attacks against targets of your choice as a free action. The allies add your Charisma modifier to their damage.
Miss: Half damage.