Monsters of Farland

Monsters of Farland

This thread is to convert the existing monsters. First I have tried my hand at the Bazok. Please comment. Specifically, I wonder if the Bazok Spear-Caster is overpowered because of the regen.

BazokA cross between the largest Oluks and trolls, Bazoks look like very large orcs with thick muscles and green, warty skin. They only obey oluk orcs, whom they have been taught since birth to respect, and will destroy any other humanoid that annoys them if oluks are not present to restrain them. They even hate trolls, although they fear them. They have no culture and are generally kept locked in pens between fights. Bazoks are smart enough to resent this.

Bazok Skewerer Level 7 Brute
Medium natural humanoid XP 300
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +4
HP 98; Bloodied 49
Regeneration 5 (if the Bazok Skewerer takes acid or fire damage, regeneration does not function until the end of its next turn)
AC 19; Fortitude 20, Reflex 19, Will 17
Speed 6 (8 while charging)

Longspear (standard; at-will) Weapon
Reach 2; +10 vs. AC; 1d10 + 5 damage (crit 1d10 + 17); see also terrifying charge.

Claw (standard; at-will)
+10 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage.

Terrifying Charge (Standard, Recharge 6) Weapon
When it charges, the Bazok Skewerer makes an extra longspear attack.

Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Giant
Skills Athletics +16, Intimidate +7
Str 20 (+8) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 12 (+4)
Con 18 (+7) Int 6 (+1) Cha 9 (+2)

Bazok Skewerer Tactics

Bazoks Skewerers begin combat by charging to strike viciously with their longspears. They then stab at whatever foe seems to present the greatest danger, methodically moving from enemy to enemy as their foes fall. Their regenerative ability gives them courage in battle, but they are not completely fearless and have been known to flee, especially if their oluk commanders have been slain.

Bazok Spear-Caster Level 10 Elite Skirmisher

Medium natural humanoid XP 1000
Initiative +12 Senses Perception +7
HP 212; Bloodied 106
Regeneration 5 (if the Bazok Spear-Caster takes acid or fire damage, regeneration does not function until the end of its next turn)
AC 26; Fortitude 24, Reflex 26, Will 22
Saving Throws +2
Speed 8
Action Points 1

R Javelin (standard; at-will) Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +15 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 damage; see also Dual Cast.

Claw (standard; at-will)
+14 vs. AC; 2d6 + 5 damage.

Dual Cast (standard; at-will) Weapon
The Bazok Spear-Caster can shift up to its speed and throw two javelins at different opponents.

Dodging Cast (immediate reaction, when an enemy makes a melee attack against it, recharge 6) Weapon

The Bazok Spear-Caster shifts 1 square, then throws a javelin.

Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Giant
Skills Athletics +16, Intimidate +7
Str 18 (+9) Dex 20 (+10) Wis 14 (+7)
Con 18 (+8) Int 7 (+3) Cha 9 (+4)
Equipment leather armor, club, quiver of 6 javelins

Bazok Spear-Caster Tactics

The slightly smarter Bazok Spear-Casters attempt to use their speed to stay out of reach while they pelt multiple enemies with their spears. They are not above engaging in melee combat with their claws, however, when they run out of javelins.

Bazok Lore
A character knows the following information about bazoks with a successful Nature check.
DC 15: Bazoks are usually found with groups of orcs but have no love for trolls.
DC 20: Bazoks fear fire and will also flee from foes that present overwhelming force.
DC 25: Bazoks are more likely to flee if their oluk handlers are killed or driven off.

The spearcaster does look powerful, but only because it has a +114 to hit. Otherwise, it looks very weak for an elite, and it looks like you dropped the Skirmish ability. Its will is also exceedingly low. The Skewerer's Terrifying Charge needs a usage keyword, probably encounter or recharge 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
The spearcaster does look powerful, but only because it has a +114 to hit.
Ahahaha! Good catch.

Quote:
Otherwise, it looks very weak for an elite, and it looks like you dropped the Skirmish ability.
I did drop the skirmish ability, because I didn't want it to be a copy of the ogre skirmisher. I tried to replace the skirmish ability with the Dodging cast, but maybe the replacement was too weak. Think I should add the skirmish back in addition?

Quote:
Its will is also exceedingly low.
I set the will using the DMG's recommendation: level + 12, with -2 because of the lower than average WIS score. What do you think the will defense should be and why?

Elites generally have things like a multihit ability at will, an immediate action attack or redirect, and so on. This makes them almost the equivalent of two characters. Maybe if it could, as a standard action, shift its speed and throw two javelins at will, with a recharge 6 ability that duplicates Fox's Cunning(shift 1 square after an opponent attacks in melee, then make a basic ranged attack).
The Will is 6 below the AC, a rather large difference, especially since Will is already the general lowest of the non-AC defenses. I'd beef the will up to around 22-24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
Elites generally have things like a multihit ability at will, an immediate action attack or redirect, and so on. This makes them almost the equivalent of two characters. Maybe if it could, as a standard action, shift its speed and throw two javelins at will, with a recharge 6 ability that duplicates Fox's Cunning(shift 1 square after an opponent attacks in melee, then make a basic ranged attack).
The Will is 6 below the AC, a rather large difference, especially since Will is already the general lowest of the non-AC defenses. I'd beef the will up to around 22-24.
Great ideas. I'll make the adjustments.

Wolf Spider Level 6 Skirmisher XP 250
Large aberrant beast

Initiative +8 Senses Perception +11; tremorsense 5
HP 72; Bloodied 36
AC 20; Fortitude 19, Reflex 19, Will 18
Speed 8; climb 6(spider climb)

m Bite (Standard, at-will)
+12 vs Armor Class; 1d6+4 damage, and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).

Combat Advantage
The wolf spider gains combat advantage against a target that has one or more of the wolf spiderís allies adjacent to it. If the wolf spider has combat advantage against the target, it deals an extra 1d6 damage and the target is also knocked prone on a hit.

Skills Stealth +12
Str 19(+7) Dex 18(+7) Wis 16(+6)
Con 16(+6) Int 7(+1) Cha 11(+3)

Something like this. I'll write up a Trap that goes with it for the webs sometime tomorrow, I think.

Looking good. I might take your theme and write up a larger wolf-spider, maybe a soldier or a brute.

Wolf Spider Web Level 4 Obstacle
Trap XP 175
Trap: A sticky web covers 5 consecutive squares.
Perception DC 22: The character notices the webbing.
Trigger
The trap attacks when a creature enters or begins its turn in one of the trap’s five squares.
Attack
Opportunity Action Melee
Target: The creature that triggered the trap.
Attack: +10 vs. Reflex
Hit: Target is restrained until escape.
Aftereffect: Target is slowed(save ends, at a -2 penalty).
Miss: Target returns to the last square it occupied and its move action ends immediately.
Countermeasures
Immobilized characters can use Acrobatics (DC 25) or Athletics (DC 20) to free themselves.
A character can attack a square of web (AC 14, other defenses 12; hp 20; resist all except fire 5). Once a square is destroyed, it cannot attack.

Cool. Maybe we need to add an ability to the wolf-spider, something like:

Web-spinning: Given enough time (equivalent to a short rest), once per day, a Wolf Spider can create a Wolf Spider Web.

What do you think?