Notices

Interlude: The Reality Gem

Blackbird makes no attempt to deny it. The man simply nods before going on to add, "In order to deny it to another. I apologize for any appearance of deceptive intent - we were advised to tell you as little as possible. Something about the nature of the stones and those who deliberately search for them having difficulty doing so."

X then turns and looks to add his two cents. Matters had conspired that lead us to the point of secrecy with you. I doubt that you could truly blame us for such a matter. Well atleast not them. I live my entire life in a shroud of secrecy. I hope you know where we need to go from here Mr. Fuzz. This group is ready to go the mile if needed. X then starts cheacking his equipment to make sure he as well is ready to go. After a quick survia he nods showing that he to is ready to hop to the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam (Blackbird) View Post
"In order to deny it to another. I apologize for any appearance of deceptive intent - we were advised to tell you as little as possible. Something about the nature of the stones and those who deliberately search for them having difficulty doing so."
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Barca (Agent X)
Matters had conspired that lead us to the point of secrecy with you. I doubt that you could truly blame us for such a matter.
"Oh, no, I understand completely. I realize that due to the very nature of the Infinity Gems that the easiest way to find them is to not look for them. I'm just a little...surprised...at the magnitude of what you seek", the man-in-the-fez replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Barca (Agent X)
I hope you know where we need to go from here Mr. Fuzz. This group is ready to go the mile if needed.
"Mr. Fuzz?", the man replies as finishes dispelling the image and walks off towards the couch again. "My apologies...I've been observing you for so long I forgot that I have failed to introduce myself. Raising one palm to his chest and bowing respectfully, the man continues.

"I am Mantor, the Magician."*

* Last seen in Human Torch Comics #2, Fall, 1940

"...and I have located the item you seek." Sitting down on the couch, Mantor lifts his ornate china teacup filled with warm Ovaltine..."...but I will not tell you where it is...". He takes a long sip of the rich, chocolately drink.

"Why not?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan (Mantor, the Magician) View Post
"...but I will not tell you where it is...". He takes a long sip of the rich, chocolately drink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stam (Blackbird)
"Why not?"
Smacking his lips after a long sip, Mantor finishes his previous statement "...yet."

Turning to Blackbird, he continues. "The spell that was given to you to find the Gem will return you to the presence of 'the good doctor'", Mantor rolls his eyes "once you obtain the item. I have determined that the item is now relatively easy to obtain. Thus, any time spent between now and actually taking willful possession of the item can be spent stategizing...as well as socializing...", here he refills Maelstrom's teacup.

"For now...oops...pardon me a moment..." Mantor gets up from the couch, heads to the front door and opens it. You can hear cheering coming from the street outside, but you don't know the reason. Mantor stands in the doorway for a short while, eventually gives a short wave, and then closes the door.

Returning to the sitting room and taking his place on the couch, Mantor completes his previous thought. "As I was saying...for now, we have all the time in the world." He sits back and takes another sip from his teacup.

"Ahhh. Please excuse my impatience, then."

Blackbird sniffs the drink, then takes a cautious sip. "Hmm. Not unlike a hot chocolate, but very different."

"Pardon me, Mantor" Jericho chimes in "but you said we should use this time to strategize. But strategize what exactly? Are we going to have to fight this Thanos or whatever his name is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzguy (Jericho Tesla) View Post
"...you said we should use this time to strategize. But strategize what exactly? Are we going to have to fight this Thanos or whatever his name is?
"You might obtain an Infinity Gem. Thanos will covet it. The conflict is inherent. Thanos is a being of incredible power. If he has already obtained an Infinity Gem himself, he has become even more so. Let us see what my magics can discern about the nature of this 'Reality Gem' and what you may be able to do with it…"

Maelstrom sat sipping his ovaltine quietly, while watching Mister Mantor. The gem was close - Thanos has seemed to think as much himself. In fact he had said that they possessed it already. Bottomless swirling blue eyes narrowed and he looked at each of the others in turn ... could they be hiding it? More likely it was Mantor himself. He couldn't imagine Blackbird or Cap doing such a thing. SNAP! Unless they were part of a covert government op to keep the thing hidden!

He sipped deeply and considered. If that were so, it would explain the arrival of Agent X, wouldn't it? He tried to chew a thumb-nail thoughtfully but just stubbed his teeth on the glassy covering. So was this whole mission a bad idea then? Had better people already determined the thing was to be hidden and remain so?

He voiced his concern, "Maybe we should be asking if finding the gem is actually what we need to be doing. What if we find it only to have it taken from us? I wonder if there isn't some other way to fight or trick this Thanos into defeat?"