Notices

Mechanized Banditry [D&D 3.5, DragonMech]

Old Mar 26 '09, 1:47am
Fresh From The Kisses of Death

Mechanized Banditry [D&D 3.5, DragonMech]

Mechanized Banditry DragonMech - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 1

Life isn't easy in Highpoint. For the last hundred years the plateau continent has been bombarded with "lunar rain," a daily deluge that sends fragments of the moon falling to earth. Initially this drove the people of Highpoint underground, for the earth itself was the only thing that could endure the rains. Though the rains have gradually slacked off since, to the point at which they're only sometimes deadly, the strange lunar creatures which descend with the rains have retained their full lethality.

Despite this, the people of Highpoint have begun to reclaim the surface. They have done so with the power of technology. Great mechs stride across the landscape, sheltering those who live within them from the rains and protecting them from lunar dragons and other threats. These mechs range from one-man fighting machines up to the great city-mechs which shelter populations in the thousands.

In times such as these one does what one must to survive, up to and including, well, robbery. Unfortunately for you, some people don't understand the necessity of crime. Some people arrest bandits. Some people imprison them. And that's how you ended up in a cramped holding cell somewhere in the torso of Thuron, a city-mech of the Stenian Confederacy, with an armed dwarf standing guard outside your door.

The scuttlebutt among the guards seems to be that Thuron is suffering from a food shortage, and, well, prisoners aren't exactly a high priority. Though you were fed something every day until today, the portions have been shrinking steadily, and there's talk among the prisoners that if things get bad enough, well... I've heard if you cut a man into stew meat you can't really tell where it came from.

Now would be a good time to be anywhere else, assuming you value your life. Why don't you try doing something about that? Getting somewhere else?

Questions

Game Description:

Life isn't easy in Highpoint. For the last hundred years the plateau continent has been bombarded with "lunar rain," a daily deluge that sends fragments of the moon falling to earth. Initially this drove the people of Highpoint underground, for the earth itself was the only thing that could endure the rains. Though the rains have gradually slacked off since, to the point at which they're only sometimes deadly, the strange lunar creatures which descend with the rains have retained their full lethality.

Despite this, the people of Highpoint have begun to reclaim the surface. They have done so with the power of technology. Great mechs stride across the landscape, sheltering those who live within them from the rains and protecting them from lunar dragons and other threats. These mechs range from one-man fighting machines up to the great city-mechs which shelter populations in the thousands.

In times such as these one does what one must to survive, up to and including, well, robbery. Unfortunately for you, some people don't understand the necessity of crime. Some people arrest bandits. Some people imprison them. And that's how you ended up in a cramped holding cell somewhere in the torso of Thuron, a city-mech of the Stenian Confederacy, with an armed dwarf standing guard outside your door.

The scuttlebutt among the guards seems to be that Thuron is suffering from a food shortage, and, well, prisoners aren't exactly a high priority. Though you were fed something every day until today, the portions have been shrinking steadily, and there's talk among the prisoners that if things get bad enough, well... I've heard if you cut a man into stew meat you can't really tell where it came from.

Now would be a good time to be anywhere else, assuming you value your life. Why don't you try doing something about that? Getting somewhere else?

The Questions

You already know this, but I am definitely interested. I'm mostly wondering about being the dedicated mech jockey or trying out the steamborg class like I've very much wanted to do. This does arise a question though ascension, you say we have no starting funds but does that apply to before the game starts? (Ala, a steamborgs artificial parts or built in steam-powers)

Oh, right. For things that couldn't have been taken from you (easily) you can purchase them with level 5 WBL. That's probably a bit unbalanced, but hey, if your class features depend on turning yourself into a steampunk cyborg you need all the help you can get. Preferably of the psychiatric sort, but this works too.

I have thus far been unable to acquire the rulebook, but I'll peruse Amazon tonight. I'm quite interested.

And the duplication problem is because shinynew!Myth-Weavers automatically attaches the game description to your advertisement thread; you don't need to add it manually.

I am so in. I love this setting. Seeing as you may be potentially amenable to homebrew, how do you feel about a class from AEG's 'Magic?' (I'm good to play pretty much anything, anyhow, but I've been looking for an excuse to break out something from that book since I got it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
Oh, right. For things that couldn't have been taken from you (easily) you can purchase them with level 5 WBL. That's probably a bit unbalanced, but hey, if your class features depend on turning yourself into a steampunk cyborg you need all the help you can get. Preferably of the psychiatric sort, but this works too.
I don't plan to go unbalanced, just don't want (most) of my class features to be useless. I'll save the more...miscellaneous steam power combination until cash flow is coming in and only get things that I think are essential to the character now.

Would you be open to caster type who makes things go boom? (I'm thinking of a Warmage or sorcerer type )...Probably human, and thinking of making him into a (chaotic- neutral) gambler...

However I must say that I have never played in this setting (I might be able to get access to the books however).

Holy undead crap-mountains, batman!

By which I mean, this looks very interesting. Steam-mechs? Lunar gods? Gear forests!?! 'Torso'? Yeah, that sounds pretty damn awesome.

I immediately had an idea for a courageous (some would say foolhardy) air pirate 'captain' master of the quickdraw. He's not a mech-jockey, he's a dashing swordsman, but still undeniably steamcool.

Couple questions - 1. Why are there humanoids aboveground? If belowground can support life (thanks to steam vents, magic, whatever), what has forced these humans to a surface where they need to spend vast amounts of resources (lives, energy, magic, iron, steel, steam) to construct giant mechs in order to survive? If the underground is safe, I could see people moving up and creating small communities under overhangs or in caves, but not the vast expenditure of resources to make giant mechs.

2. Are there flying machines?

What it amounts to is, the dwarves are rat bastards and won't let anyone in their hidey-holes. Also, the surface is ours, it does not belong to the lunar abominations seeking to desecrate it. Again, not only will those short and bearded ones not allow us underground, they had the audacity to build mechs to conquer the surface. And then had the gall to get angry when others began improving upon their ideas.
(As to flying machines, I think there are stats for one flying mech, but its iffy in form and function.)
And as to undead crap-mountains, the undead city-mech actually has a massive freakin magic sword, so is quite far away from a mountain of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSE View Post
I am so in. I love this setting. Seeing as you may be potentially amenable to homebrew, how do you feel about a class from AEG's 'Magic?' (I'm good to play pretty much anything, anyhow, but I've been looking for an excuse to break out something from that book since I got it.)
PM it to me, I'll consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
I don't plan to go unbalanced, just don't want (most) of my class features to be useless.
Next you'll be saying I should allow wizards to have spellbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolaulten View Post
Would you be open to caster type who makes things go boom? (I'm thinking of a Warmage or sorcerer type )...Probably human, and thinking of making him into a (chaotic- neutral) gambler...

However I must say that I have never played in this setting (I might be able to get access to the books however).
I'm going to try to ease you into the setting, more or less. It shouldn't be that big a problem for you not to be familiar with it going in. And sure, I'm cool with blaster casters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
Couple questions - 1. Why are there humanoids aboveground? If belowground can support life (thanks to steam vents, magic, whatever), what has forced these humans to a surface where they need to spend vast amounts of resources (lives, energy, magic, iron, steel, steam) to construct giant mechs in order to survive? If the underground is safe, I could see people moving up and creating small communities under overhangs or in caves, but not the vast expenditure of resources to make giant mechs.
What the GSE said, plus the sheer number of refugees who fled there. The underdeep is massively overcrowded, uncomfortable, and filled with people who don't want you in their personal space, and if you try to go deeper to get some elbow room you start running into terrible things that you don't live to talk about.

The dwarves are a fascinating bunch in this setting. They're both saviors and total bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
2. Are there flying machines?
Not that I'm aware of. I almost bought a book of 3.5 airships a while back, and if I had I'd be willing to try to work them in, but even if I did they'd only be good for short hops since there'd be the danger of the lunar rain busting them up during the middle of a long flight. So no, you can't call yourself Cid.