Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Monk Fix (PEACH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroken View Post
@Solo: Well what else would my words be? It's not like I'm high or insane.
That's exactly what a stoned psychopath would say!

Other than the fact that they are Social Skill MASTERS, have an excellent spell list, and have UMD as a class skill?

Edit: No to mention that they can also be trap-monkies.

Excellent spell list? They only have illusions and enchantments. What possible use could there be for spells that deceive the senses and cloud the mind of the enemy, either on the battlefield or off of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Excellent spell list? They only have illusions and enchantments. What possible use could there be for spells that deceive the senses and cloud the mind of the enemy, either on the battlefield or off of it?
Lol. True. It is much more effective to have Fireballs and Lightning bolts on your spell list, and to prepare every slot with those tasty damage dealing spells. :P

At least those spells have a measureable effect. I mean, you can see the numbers, and numbers don't lie! What numbers come up when you use Silent Image to create a fake wall for your party to hide behind as an enemy patrol comes along? Nothing, that's what!

That may be the single most frightening thing I've ever seen on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
Mettle is basically evasion for Fortitude/Will effects, but it also works on Fort/Will Partial as well as Fort/Will half. To my knowledge, there is no Improved Mettle
There is but it is exceedingly rare. I think it only shows up in epic classes.

---

Rambling comments on the actual class;
For fast healing you might as well give fast healing equal to monk level or half monk level, that makes it less bursty in the progression.

You might want to make the monk speed bonus not an enhancement bonus, that mostly helps in the early levels where cheap speed boosting items will make you faster than the monk but they wouldn't stack with the monk's movement.

Also listing everything in the table makes it easier to read, rather than having a note at the end about what was removed. As far as I can see the only things missing that carry over from the old monk class are slow fall, still mind and the AC bonus. A lot of monk fixes replace slow-fall with a fly speed which is probably a good idea, especially as the monk otherwise has issues with flying opponents. Unlike everyone else he has no long range spells and no bow. A sling works, but has a much more limited range.

Also which proper wuxia monk can't walk on water?

On the power-curve, in a initial reading it seems it starts of reasonably strong, keeping pace with martial adepts until level 12 or so. Before then the monk had limited options but his class features had synergy that meant that he does that one thing very well. When you get into the teens though his options widen but his original options don't really become much stronger.

Also for a tier 3 the monk can do very little out of combat, the ranger has track, spells and abilities that make him a better scout, the martial adepts have powers that can be used for utility purposes, etc. The monk can move fast. Give him something to do out of combat, even if it is just acupuncture to give fast healing to the party outside of combat. It doesn't need to be much, and it doesn't need to be strong but there should be something.