England Expects Every Man (and Boy) to Do His Duty -- Adventure on the High Seas

Old May 17 '09, 9:43pm
Horse *Listener*

England Expects Every Man (and Boy) to Do His Duty -- Adventure on the High Seas

The High Seas - Forum
7th Sea
Estimated Members Requested: 2

Ship's boys needed to help round out the crew of a sixth rate frigate in His Majesty's Navy.

This game has already begun, but shortly after the ship set sail, one of my players bowed out due to time constraints, leaving us with a playerless ship's boy and no way to conveniently be rid of him short of violence -- which I am saving for later. The GM already has enough NPC's to run with a ship of the line and all of her crew! I don't need another ship's boy to look after!

I'm hoping to find a player to step into this characters. He hasn't been developed a whole lot beyond getting chosen as part of the crew, and his backstory and character sheet could be modified to suit the new players' needs/desires as long as nothing played IC changes. We've only played a few short chapters, and not a great deal of much importance has happened until recently. Reading to catch up shouldn't be too taxing, I wouldn't think.

The system is ... odd. I'm using 7th Sea mechanics because that's the system I'm most comfortable with. However, the world is not 7th Sea's Theah; it is realistic fiction -- in other words, Earth during the Napoleonic Era. Also, the system is heavily house ruled in that I make quite a few allowances/modifications for keeping the game moving and for involving the players in decision-making and story creation whenever I can. It is role-playing heavy and the three players I currently have are awesome, reliable posters, fabulous RPers, and good writers. I am looking for players to keep up with them, ie., good writers/RPers who can post at least five times a week and more when things get exciting and posting speeds up. I award XP frequently, and characters will progress at a satisfying rate.

You don't need to know the system or own any books to play; I can teach as we go. You will need at least a solid basic understanding of the setting, however.

If you are interested, please do a quick read of the IC chapters in the game (the first three are in the game's archives) and let me know if you'd like to play Art -- and perhaps supply me with a link to a game you are in or some other sample of your writing style. Please don't request to play any other character or to create a new one. That won't solve my current problem at all! Thanks for your interest!

Game Description:

The year is 1803 and Britain and France are at an uneasy peace. Word has passed throughout London, though, that war is again looming on the horizon. The shipyards at Woolwich and Deptford swarm with workers, and ships are being repaired, refitted, and turned out like there is no tomorrow.

HMS Rose has recently put out to sea, and aboard her, in addition to a full complement of men and marines are a handful of ship's boys who are quickly learning what it is like to be a member of His Majesty's Navy. The Rose is not without her thorns, though, it seems -- and a ship's boy's life is far from an easy one ....

Last edited by Isannah; Jun 11 '09 at 7:50am.. Reason: To make Korey and Art's names stand out for easier reference
(Still around to play the occasional vilain. Hmm, especially if you're in need of someone to teach the subtleties of the French language to Mordae... Hmm.)

No Frenchies yet. Sorry!

Isannah, can you tell us which characters are the open ones so that prospective applicants have an idea of what we might be getting stuck with?

I considered applying for this game the first time around and while I am interested the thought of taking over a character is not highly appealing. Knowing what I might be getting myself into would help immensely.

Sure! Korey or Art.

Quote:
If you are interested, please do a quick read of the four IC chapters in the game (the first three are in the game's archives) and let me know if you'd like Korey or Art -- and perhaps supply me with a link to a game you are in or some other sample of your writing style. Please don't request to play any other character or to create a new one. That won't solve my current problem at all! Thanks for your interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRipper View Post
Isannah, can you tell us which characters are the open ones so that prospective applicants have an idea of what we might be getting stuck with?

I considered applying for this game the first time around and while I am interested the thought of taking over a character is not highly appealing. Knowing what I might be getting myself into would help immensely.
Never mind. I found it...idiot.

That's okay. Now it's even easier to find!

Bump.

There's gotta be someone out there who's read a Horatio Hornblower or two, the Jack Aubrey books, or Bloody Jack and wants a good sea-faring adventure, right?

This sounds like a great game, but I've absolutely ZERO experience with 7th Seas.

Currently reading up on Chapters 1-4, but is there some sort of "7th seas SRD" around anywhere?