Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Most awesome tank pic

What manner of foul beast is this?!

This is the only information I've found on it: (Quote) It's the Troyanov Obiekt 219 heavy tank prototype, which ranks as the best Russian vehicle of its type (along with the Isakov Obiekt 770). It was designed to fight in the nuclear battlefield. The Russians had observed that tanks near a nuclear blast site were frequently overturned but still functional. The hull shape of the 279 was dictated by the need to resist overturning by the blast shockwave and resultant high speed winds. The modular hydropneumatic suspension could be lowered to place the CG closer to the ground and increase the tank's resistance to overturning. A high powered 1.000hp naval diesel engine and a 130mm gun were employed for mobility and firepower. The suspension supports also contained fuel cells and the hull configuration allowed for anti-radiation inserts. Its sophistication was what killed it, as it was too expensive to manufacture, and in any case, Nikita Khrushchev was in favor of missile weapons and considered heavy tanks outmoded.

I'd think to protect from shockwaves and get a more efficient and better armored tank a system like the skirting on various truck ICBM launchers (like the midgetman) that forced the vehicle towards the ground using the blast would be better suited to the job and definitely more aestheticaly pleasing, but who am I to argue with the Russians anyway?

Angry.

Fake. It's an old photoshop jobbe.

*Oh, and object 279 is certainly an odd one! I'm fairly sure he's been linked in here already. Was intended to be used in reserve detachments for breaking through that first line. Yessir, the Soviets were serious business. Didn't know about that hunkering down ability, cool beans!

MIM-46 Mauler, triple-A

M42 Duster, also triple-A

M247 Sergeant York, again, triple-A

T249 Vigilante, again, triple-A. This sucker mounts the biggest rotary autocannon ever: 37x219mmSR round based on a necked-down 40mm Bofors. 3000 rpm for air targets. Those guys who go "squee" at the A-10's main gun? Yeah, that's not what you need to be squeeing over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsentWizard View Post
[IMG]T249 Vigilante, again, triple-A. This sucker mounts the biggest rotary autocannon ever: 37x219mmSR round based on a necked-down 40mm Bofors. 3000 rpm for air targets. Those guys who go "squee" at the A-10's main gun? Yeah, that's not what you need to be squeeing over.
Yeah... but... the Avenger is a flying autocannon!

AK130, Russian. World's largest autocannon. Kirov-class cruisers have these as dual purpose guns. Shooting 130mm shells at 20 to 30 rpm is quite a feat, very scary if you're an A10 Avenger within 20km of it.

...but it's not a tank, so to make up for it...

One stolen T34, low mileage, two previous owners.