Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Most awesome tank pic

M551 Sheridan. Aren't these still in service? One of the para regiments in the USA i think. It is after all light enough for parachute drops (barely). The in-barrel missile (Shiellagah, as seen above) was an ambitious project by all reports, didn't work quite so well in field but at least it pioneered that technology.

In-barrel rockets persist today for Beyond Visual Range, and i think the Israelis have such (or are developing such) for their Merkava tank to allow it to engage aircraft.

M60 - 2000 mod? I'm not certain but i think so. The -2000 pack is an upgrade for M60 tanks, gives them a lot of the capabilities of an Abram for less money.

Before people snicker at it, remember the M60 has a few advantages on the Abrams - like exhaust that isn't dangerous to your own infantry, who can thus use it for cover. It's not too bad really. There's a lot of M60s floating around too, so an appealing option for many governments.

I don't think we've had the T28 yet. Is it really a tank? Dunno. The Americans certainly thought so.

Here's what wiki thinks the definition of a tank is, which I looked up out of curiousity:

A tank is a tracked, armoured fighting vehicle designed for front-line combat which combines operational mobility and tactical offensive and defensive capabilities. Firepower is normally provided by a large-calibre main gun in a rotating turret and secondary machine guns, while heavy armour and all-terrain mobility provide protection for the tank and its crew, allowing it to perform all primary tasks of the armoured troops on the battlefield.

And just for good measure, because what's better than having one gun? Twenty guns!

...or the potential to fire a million rounds a minute? (hyper-inflated optimism not withstanding)
Metal Storm tracked robotic defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirocco View Post

M60 - 2000 mod? I'm not certain but i think so. The -2000 pack is an upgrade for M60 tanks, gives them a lot of the capabilities of an Abram for less money.

Before people snicker at it, remember the M60 has a few advantages on the Abrams - like exhaust that isn't dangerous to your own infantry, who can thus use it for cover. It's not too bad really. There's a lot of M60s floating around too, so an appealing option for many governments.
Israeli Magach-7C. M60s with upgraded armor.

M60A2 Patton. Deviated from the other variants by replacing the 105 L7 with a 6" Shelleigh gun/missile launcher in a distinctive turret.

For awesome, how about...

...a 200-foot tall submarine tank with enough guns to level a city?

Not good enough, you say? How about we make it an aircraft carrier too?

What is funny is that in both cases, the writers appear to honestly believe these were the future of warfare.

In fact, I recommend going to the website I got these from and just give it a look: here. It is a great way to get rid of 15 minutes or so.

If we're talking about armored Airborne Airborne Aircraft Carrier Carriers with guns (and possibly a set of tracks SOMEWHERE))... I give you...

CASTLE WULFENBACH

(The figurehead is armor, at least)