Notices

Non Sequitur

A place for light-hearted forum games and other threads that don't promote discussion.

Most awesome tank pic

Your reactive armor and shtora laser disruption is no match for modern AT missiles. Missiles might not be able to fill the role of Tanks, but they can sure guarantee that Tanks can't fill the role of tanks either. Two modern armies of equal strength clashing means, besides millions dead, that every tank and heavy capital ship in the world would be mothballed.

Modern missiles have sequential shaped charges, and if they're guided they don't need to rely on lasers. Top attacking with a high speed defeats any conceivable countermeasure. Even newer RPGS can do the trick. Just ask the Israeli army.

1) We aren't realistically looking at two modern armies clashing for the foreseeable future, nor are we concerned with missile tech of the far (>20 years) future at this time. Maybe missiles will win out. Maybe the countermeasures will. Don't know.
2) A TOW launcher can be destroyed by a tank's shell well before the missile arrives; tactically, they're surprisingly slow. With no guidance it hits sand.
3) Shaped charge and missile countermeasures are a very interesting field! Take another look; some of the really cool stuff uses a missile (faster than the eye can follow) to kill another missile. The Brits IIRC are planning to use a shotgun-like blast to hit inbound missiles. If you reckon it stops there, think again... electric reactive armour's the coolest i've found yet.

^Electric armour in testing. Stops repeated hits pretty cleverly; warhead impacts, molten copper shape charge burns through first layer then touches second. Causes short circuit between these highly conductive & highly charged layers. The electrical discharge vapourizes the (already near-plasma hot) copper.

Neat, eh? It's only one of many systems under development to make tanks lighter. Just happens to be specifically for beating shaped charges, as used by missiles (and some IEDs).

I have another system i'd love to show, involving radar and a missile that zips up, goes all of 3 yards then frags the inbound missile. But on short notice i'll show this new Iron Fist one instead:

Iron Fist (Israel again!). I recall you said ask the Israelis? Yes, they are big players in regards to active countermeasures. LIke this one. Use radar to see the missile, use a shrapnel blast to kill the missile. Straightforward to say but quite clever in it's fashion.

4) (this one's important!) This is a tank pics thread! Post more tank pics! I don't mind a chat but put some more pictures up for ficus's sake.

Edit: As an addendum, i'm looking forward to what Hilscher posts next. But it better include some pics with tanks in 'em!

What's that, you say? Israel got its stuffing beat out in '06 by RPGs? You want the real masters of the battlefield, the helicopter gunships?! Well okay then!

So majestic. How about the future of mobility, the Osprey? I can do that, too!

Sexy. Here, I'll be nice and give you an inferior armored weapon platform being dropped off by a logistical marvel. That's because I'm morally superior and taking the high road. :3 Yup, I'm a pretty great guy.

Quote:
^Electric armour in testing. Stops repeated hits pretty cleverly; warhead impacts, molten copper shape charge burns through first layer then touches second. Causes short circuit between these highly conductive & highly charged layers. The electrical discharge vapourizes the (already near-plasma hot) copper.
Well, we're getting one step closer to Star Trek's electromagnetic shields!

Helicopter gunships? Seriously? Those things are flying deathtraps even when they aren't taking enemy fire. Yes, they are a useful component of a mixed force, but I haven't heard anyone seriously call them kings of the battlefield since the 80's. It's much, much easier to kill a gunship than a tank.

Lots of R&D going on in these areas... in-barrel missiles fired by tanks aren't new (ask the Russians - their idea i think and in general use), the idea of using them to engage gunships however's a project i've heard of in Israel. SPAAGs are the more normal countermeasure - and fighter planes!

^ K-30 Biho (apparently)

^M113 Vulcan

^ The common & indefatigable Russian "Shilka"

...most of which are built off APCs or Tanks. Speaking of which, have a couple more pics of active, hard-kill countermeasures.

And because i bumbled into it, here's a great video for Trophy.

...and here's Russia's old, old version from over 30 years ago. Drozd!

Drozd's not as clever as the modern ones. Forward arc only, expensive, needed a fair size radar system and was not widely deployed. But it was a first attempt, and gives an indication how long this stuff's been going on. It's showed on a T55 (i think) in that pic.

PS: I love helicopters & planes too, combined arms is a powerful thing. But if you want aircraft pics start an aircraft pics thread! This thread is not to present tanks as all-conquoring monsters, it's just to admire the coolest (or funniest) examples we can dredge out of the interwebs.

That was one thing that I always had problems with being attached to an armed unit. They did not seem to know how to use infantry properly.

Hammer's Slammers.

Oh, you want real tanks? Hrm. How about a tank with lasers. Real tanks have lasers, right?

Oh, hey. Turns out they do.

EDIT: Also, I find something incredibly ironic about holding up the missile as the weapon of the future, that makes tanks obsolete...and then proceeding to claim that helicopters (ie, much more vulnerable to things like missiles) are the way of the future.

Cool pic Acatalepsy, what is it (really)? Strobe emitter?
(Strobes on tanks may sound bizarre, but there's history to it. I might link that (with pics!) later.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadford01
That was one thing that I always had problems with being attached to an armed unit. They did not seem to know how to use infantry properly.
Yeah, it is a problem. But so is the Abrams gas turbine engine - due to it's extremely hot exhaust, even compared with other AFVs. Regardless, i bet troops will keep riding them over walking. At least until the shooting starts.

^Centurion tank covered in Australians. Common practice on road marches. The tank gets better awareness and the troops get a free ride.

Birdscage

^Leopard in a birdscage; a cheap modern option against ATGMs (though not top attackers)

^M1A1 Abrams of the marine corps, fresh from the factory, test-firing their new cannons - in many cases by lanyard. According to the website, first shot from a new cannon is lanyard (pull-string) triggered. Notice the dust disturbed around it? Recoil & wind impulse from the 120mm will do that. I really like this pic.

Merkava Mk4, dusk or dawn.