Notices

Mynd's Eye - Rerecruiting

Old Jun 30 '09, 3:14pm
Great Wyrm

Mynd's Eye - Rerecruiting

Mynd's Eye - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 42

Mynd's Eye is rerecruiting, if you couldn't gleam that from the title.

Right then, down to business. Mynd's Eye, if you didn't see the original game ad, is a homebrew game made of my homebrew, your homebrew, and that shady guy down the street's homebrew. Err....maybe not his. If you show it, I will take it, unless I deem it broken (The old thread, located here, had several such instances)

GM/DM: Me, myself, and (possibly) I
Books Allowed: All. As long as you specify where the things came from. In rare cases, I will disallow things.

Stat Generation: 7m4d6v1 or 36 point buy. If you choose dice, you take the best 6 of the 7 rolls. You may only switch to 36 point if your bonuses are less than +4, or none are higher than 13. I will not accept rolls made in this thread. You will find the rolls thread here.
Level: 1
Hp: Max
Gold: 100
Traits: Up to two
Flaws: Up to one

There are not 42 spots. If you apply, you probably will be accepted, unless your spelling/use of the shift key/etc. is horrendous. I do not want to see posts in chatspeak or 1337speak, S.V.P.

Questions?

Game Description:

A world where anything can happen. This fledgling world is not like those other worlds. It toes the line, steps over it, and does a damn pole vault over it too. Welcome, the land of homebrew awaits.

Last edited by Roi; Jun 30 '09 at 10:48pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheDucks View Post
These stood out to me as overpowered. You can hybridize classes together, but when the hybrid is better with respect to the original it's not a good sign. The AC bonus seems particularly unfair, it allows the class to keep pace with more traditional "tank" classes without sacrificing mobility.
Dropped "any one other", and I don't think that the AC bonus is anything overpowering. A 1st level "tank" would probably have a heavy shield and scale mail (16 AC, max 19 after Dex), and by 3rd could get fullplate for a total of 20 AC (max 21). At 1st level, your kensai needs 2 14s (not hard) to match, but needs 2 18s at 3rd level (assuming no magic. But all magic items that either could get would stack just as easily.).
I could drop a point, though. Would it be balanced then, as it applies almost in full to touch attacks?

Quote:
Ki powers need some sort of level gradient, a full-round tag on Recharge, and Maximize reconsidered. As it is, this class can "smite" nearly as hard as a paladin without being limited by alignment or per day usage.
I was originally going to make Recharge full-round; thanks for noticing.

As for Maximize; would it be better if it applied to only one attack? Then the only difference between it and Damage would be "exchange your critical hit for +1 damage (assuming a greatsword)".

Ki Dodge changed to 5% per point, no limit on points. EDIT: Returned to normal.

EDIT: The level gradient is the amount of ki points in your pool.

Quote:
Is vague about just how you'd go about replacing said signature weapon and outpaces the ability of the actual Kensai PrC.
You don't, it's like Weapon Focus and Specialization. And no, it doesn't outpace the PrC. The PrC allows you to enchant your weapon, +1 per PrC level. The PrC gets ahead at level 8, then quickly advances to +10 at level 16.

Quote:
Feels like a second thought just shoehorned in.
Already removed before your response.

I dropped the ki pool to 1 + 1/3 class level (round down, as usual), but kept it per encounter.

The class feels... empty and frontloaded now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
The class feels... empty and frontloaded now.
That's why I think there ought to be a level gradient on the Ki abilities. You know, not being able to pick up Ki damage until level 8 or something like that. On the other hand, Ki recharge seems so vital to the mechanic that it shouldn't be an ability you choose over others, make it free.

Maximize would be fine if it had a 3/point to attack ratio. You don't have to pick up the ability when there's Ki damage, unless you're some great-axe or other 1d12 weapon wielder in which case it's still overpowered at a 2:1 point/attack ratio.

Quote:
Signature Damage: A kensai of at least 3rd level has bonded with his weapon to the point where he can use it to excellent effect. He gains a +1 bonus to damage with his signature weapon. This bonus to damage increases by 1 at every odd level thereafter.
Should be every third like Signature Weapon. Speaking of which, Signature Weapon makes Signature Strike (magic) redundant. I'd follow the monk class on this and tag on a (lawful) strike at level 10, push back the (adamantine) to 16, and scrap (epic).

Edit: Given the amount of damage increasing abilities this class has I think you're overstating the importance of strength. I'd not be surprised at all by your early mentioned 18-duo Dex/Wis example. The class is straight up Dex/Wis/Con with no significant MAD. The monk's AC bonus applies to touch attacks, so to scale it back I'd knock a point off and keep the flat-footed penalty.

Ki recharges automatically at the beginning of an encounter.

And your 1d12 damage-er? Ki Damage for +4 lets you critical and multiply the damage if you do (as it's a flat bonus).

The AC bonus is also -2 vs. touch attacks.

It's not really Dex/Wis/Con, unless you use Weapon Finesse (which eliminates your Maximize problem). You want to be hitting to use all that damage.

I had a (lawful) strike at level 10 and (adamantine) at 16, but I removed Lawful and pushed Adamantine back.
Maybe Silver or Cold Iron at 6, the other at 10, and Adamantine at 16?

How about the Summoner or Assassin, Lord Dhazriel Variant from D&D Wiki? Just two I saw that weren't bad, but if they are over/underpowered let me know.

Quote:
And your 1d12 damage-er? Ki Damage for +4 lets you critical and multiply the damage if you do (as it's a flat bonus).
Let me elaborate. The Kensai you're proposing is stuck with the same weapon for the rest of his progression, so without keening the most generous crit chance on a 1d12 or equivalent weapon you will get will be 10% off a greatsword.

So a level 12 kensai wants to make the most of some vital attack by pumping all his ki points into it. Assuming he wields that very same greatsword he has since level one as empowered by his class features, he will roll an average of 6.5 (not withstanding his +4 bonus from a Signature damage/every 3 levels progression) and stands to gain +12 on a single attack by dumping all of his points or +6 to both attacks at the same cost minus the chance of critting. Sounds like a fair (or rather, unfair. I may be reading the Ki damage bit wrong, it is a swift action right?) deal for now.

The reason I used a greatsword in this example is because it is particularly beneficial for his 2d6 whacking stick as he only has a 1/36 chance of maximizing his damage. Maximizing gives him far more mileage, enough to outpace the chance of critting. Empowering a strike with Ki damage may yield the highest return, but Maximize ensures an on average greater point to damage ratio.

That being said at a 3 point cost it'd be fair to simply scale back the crit multiplier by 1, making the x3 great-axe a viable candidate for maximizing.

Quote:
It's not really Dex/Wis/Con, unless you use Weapon Finesse (which eliminates your Maximize problem). You want to be hitting to use all that damage.
Given the prevalence of Weapon Finesse it very much so is a Dex/Wis/Con class. Swordsages, rogues, and monks don't get Weapon Finesse for free and they're considered Dex primary classes.

Quote:
I had a (lawful) strike at level 10 and (adamantine) at 16, but I removed Lawful and pushed Adamantine back.
Maybe Silver or Cold Iron at 6, the other at 10, and Adamantine at 16?
Pushed adamantine back? On the table it's at level 13, on the write-up it's 14. That's not back, that's forward.

Which brings up
Quote:
Force Strike: As a swift action, the next attack the kensai makes deals force damage and may strike ethereal or incorporeal creatures as though they were corporeal. This ability costs 1 ki point.
This needs some serious limitations, force damage is not subject to DR and makes redundant all Signature Strikes except for (adamantine), and only because that bypasses hardness as well. Level 14 requirement and a notching up on the ki point cost, at least. More realistically, you could scrap it for a ghost-touch ability available at lower levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheDucks View Post
-stuff about Maximize-
The chance to get maximum damage is not the issue.
The most use you could possibly get out of this is increasing the average damage of your 1d12 weapon from 6.5 to 12, which is +5.5 damage, 1.5 more than you could get out of the same ki points from Damage, at the cost of your chance to get a critical hit.

EDIT: Just realized that I haven't changed it to only apply to one attack yet. Changing now...

Quote:
This needs some serious limitations, force damage is not subject to DR and makes redundant all Signature Strikes except for (adamantine), and only because that bypasses hardness as well. Level 14 requirement and a notching up on the ki point cost, at least. More realistically, you could scrap it for a ghost-touch ability available at lower levels.
Removing the force damage would be okay?

Quote:
Removing the force damage would be okay?
Yeah.

How do you feel about the class as it is? I think the number of class features it gains entails significant cutting back, making it a jack-of-all-trades ninja/swordsage/kensai means it's not going to be particularly great at any of those things.

I'm apprehensive over Ki Attack and Damage though, they smooth over the edges of the sheer bulk of numbers at the Kensai's back with their flexibility. Not happy with your essentially full BAB (Signature Weapon + 3/4 BAB), stance modifier, and very likely high Dex? Just throw Ki points at it when you're practically breaking 25+ on a roll of 10 (by level 7 at least).

Edit: Know what would give the class a whole lot of leeway for tweaking, that 3/4 initiator level proposal of yours. That'd free up a feature or two.

Gone to 3/4 Initiator Level progression (see second post), AC Bonus decreased by 1, and the Signature Damage is now +1 damage every 2.5 levels. Also, moved Adamantine to 16th level.

EDIT: Added the AC, Attack, and Damage bonuses into the table.

Name: Beauregard Nicholas Arrow
Race: Tiefling(lesser)
Class: Rogue
Alignment: Neutral (passive, not active)
Description: Beau stands five feet, seven inches and weighs approximately one-hundred and fifty pounds. He has a mix of blond and red, short hair and has one blue and one red eye. Beau wears a black traveler's outfit, and tucks his black, feathered wings under the cloak when not using them and hides his red horns under the hood of his cloak as often as he can.
Background: Beauregard was found in an alley of a mountainside city. He was only just into adolescence when the pawn shop keeper and his wife, William and Joan Arrow, two humans approaching old age, found him sleeping behind their shop wrapped in a blanket, and wearing nothing but rags. At first William thought it was a little imp or fiend, but Joan pointed out that it was just a child. When they woke him, he was confused as to who and where he was and when he sat up and exposed his wings both gasped. Seeing that the boy was scared and lost, Joan ushered him into the shop. After clothing and feeding him, the couple decided to raise him as their own, naming him after a few of their relatives.
Personality: Beau is a little self conscience about his horns, but hides his wings to avoid any more attention. Common folk often mistake his wings and horns to mean that he is a demon or half-fiend. Being a tiefling, he has an odd demeanor, and most people perceive what he says as sarcasm or as having malicious intent. He is a little slow to trusting, but when thrust into situations where there must be trust he gives it grudgingly and only just enough as needed. He knows what he is and what he is not, but sometimes others views of him affect how he reacts to things.
Homebrew: Lesser Tiefling.