Barrow of the Ogre King - 4e LFR Adventure

Old Jul 20 '09, 9:58pm
raman

Barrow of the Ogre King - 4e LFR Adventure

Living Forgotten Realms - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 4e - Forgotten Realms 4e
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Adventure Background
The town of Loudwater sits at the confluence of the Delimbiyr and Grayflow rivers. The forested shoulders of the Star Mounts rise above the town in the northwestern sky. These cloud-veiled peaks remind the townspeople that beyond the town’s walls stretch wild lands, where deadly monsters threaten the unwary.

Merchants, caravan guards, local craftsfolk, hunters, farmers, and retired adventurers treat the Green Tankard Tavern in Loudwater as a second home. In the tavern’s common room, talk turns to tales of hostile tribes and barrows glimpsed through mists; folk speak warily of goblins in the Southwood, of the serpent folk of Najara, and of ancient, ruined kingdoms.

The tavern attracts young and old with its warm company and tall tales. But before buying an ale for one of the inn’s regulars, a visitor should think carefully. Many adventures have started from stories exchanged over cheap ale and greasy food, but not all have ended with the glorious exploits of which bards sing. An old story or a wrinkled map could be the doorway to adventure—or the path to a quick death.

For many years, goblins have laired in a nearby dungeon hidden in the boughs of the Southwood. This dungeon is known to some as the Barrow of the Ogre King. The barrow is a remnant of the vanished dwarven kingdom of Ammarindar.

You are in Loudwater's Southern Square, minding your own business, when the southern wall suddenly explodes, sending rubble and dust everywhere. Townspeople begin to scream and flee as goblins race forward through the hole in the wall.

Applications will be open for almost a full week, closing on Sunday, July 26, at midnight EDT.
I will never close an application early, so take your time and think about a character that will be fun for you to play and the players around you to play with.
This should also give you time to obtain a DCI number if you need to do so.

Current Applicants/InterestLeader
awesomologist - Arahm Frostfall, Eladrin Battlesmith Artificer
maniki - Sol, Genasi Tactical Warlord
Fodder - Taros Kwame, Human Protecting Shaman

Defender
Phoenyx - Jakob Marakson, Human Earth Warden
Son of Meepo - Lucreza, Shadar-Kai Ensnaring Swordmage

Controller
Lodwilk - Arthur Herringson, Human Staff Wizard
Grisha - Mawgli, Longtooth Shifter Guardian Druid
GrumpyDM - Magda Deepwinter, Dwarf Preserving Invoker (incomplete)
DanteSol - Erevan, Eladrin Control Wizard

Striker (melee)
FreeRange - Merrick Marshal, Human Swashbuckler Rogue
Joseph Blackly - Rassam, Minotaur Rageblood Barbarian
Stiverton Sekhmet AKA "Nifty", Tielfling Trickster Rogue

Striker (ranged)
Thayal - Siana, Elf Archer Ranger
Wyrm - Marwon, Genasi Storm Sorcerer
No One - Dhartin, Drow Sniper Rogue

Undecided/Undeclared

Game Description:

The Campaign
This is part of an RPGA-sanctioned Living Forgotten Realms Campaign, one that I hope will grow into an an adventuring company of several parties running simultaneous adventures, whose members may even decide to join other groups within the setting, true to the feel of the "living" campaign.

You will create characters that grow and persist through each adventure, and who may be freely used in any other RPGA event, retaining the experience and rewards your PC receives for those other adventures (but not, of course, in the middle of an ongoing adventure), which is what having a "living" character is all about. Conversely, if you already have a Living Forgotten Realms character from another group or event, feel free to bring them into this campaign, keeping in mind of course that members of a party need to be at the same level.

Of course, you may not have desire or opportunity to take your character from this campaign to any other, which is perfectly fine as well. The campaign will flow from each adventure to the next, taking with it the characters you will be bringing to life.

The Players
I will start with one party of 4-6 characters. You will create a character according to the RPGA/LFR creation rules, which are rather broad but with a few limitations, as noted below. I expect decent activity from players, with one post per weekday (M-F) and one post per weekend at minumum.
In addition to the normal forum membership, in order to play LFR each player will need to have a DCI membership number from WotC. This does not require a DDI subscription or any other purchase; it's free, but does require you to sign up for it. See "No DCI Number?" below for more information if you do not have one.

Applications
I would like applications in the following form:

ApplicationName: Character Name
Race: Character Race
Class: Character class and build
Region: FR background region
DCI#: RPGA/DCI number

I will be paying most attention to character appearance and personality, things that will affect the way your character acts during the campaign. A good background story is nice, but rather than a ten-page biography, focus on the aspects of your background that describe what made your character who they are now.

Attached Images
File Type: png barrow-tn.png (135.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by geekahedron; Jul 27 '09 at 1:35pm..
ApplicationName: Jakob Marakson
Race: Human
Class: Earth Warden
Region: Waterdeep
DCI: 7208336025

ApplicationName: Arthur Herringson
Gender Male
Class: Staff Wizard
RPGA#: 6210159851

Name: Arahm Frostfall
Race: Eladrin
Class: Artificer (Battlesmith)

RPGA Number

Here's Arahm again. Let me know if there's anything I need to do to spruce him up.

Application
Name: Sol
Race: Genasi Windsoul / Firesoul
Class : Warlord
Region: Waterdeep
DCI#: 7214032251

As a hint for anyone having problems with the wizards site, you need to enable 3rd party cookes from hitbox.com and / or doubleclick.net before it will work. Both these sites are known for 'questionable' marketing practices, so I suggest disabling the permissions straight away afterwards ^_^

Thanks for another opportunity to join the Realm Geek.

Name: Merrick Marshal
Class: Rogue (Brutal Scoundrel but I like to think of him more as a swashbuckler)
Region: Dragon Coast
DCI #

Didn't make it the first time, so let's see how round 2 goes:

Name: Rassam
Race: Minotaur
Class: Rageblood Barbarian
Region: Impiltur

Will definately be entering this one, just trying to decide I want to use the same character or something different.

ApplicationName: Lucreza
Race: Shadar-Kai
Class: Ensnaring Swordmage
Region: Netheril
DCI: 7100472684