World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with D&D 4th Edition.

another spell idea

Another spell idea

So I am tossing around this idea for a spell: a spell that steals all of the "buffing" bonuses as well as blur or the like from an opponent and applies them to you. I was thinking the caster would have to make a caster level check against each spell and the ones he beats he steals their bonus. It would have to be fairly high level it seems. What do you think? What would I call it?

I would call it Reaving Dispel and ask you to refer to Complete Arcane Pg 119.

Sorry, Farland...

I would call it Reaving Dispel and ask you to refer to Complete Arcane Pg 119.

Sorry, Farland...

Really????!!!!! Are you serious? A spell like this already exists? I don't have complete arcana and have never looked at it. Damn! I hate it when this happens. It has happened to me twice now, where I independently come up with the idea for a spell that WOTC has already created.

Really????!!!!! Are you serious? A spell like this already exists? I don't have complete arcana and have never looked at it. Damn! I hate it when this happens. It has happened to me twice now, where I independently come up with the idea for a spell that WOTC has already created.

The Spell Reaving Dispel acts like a Dispel magic except that you can get a maximum of +25 caster level check instead of the usual +10 (or +20 for a Greater Dispel).
If you want, on a targetted dispel or counterspell, you can opt to steal any spell you sucessfully roll a dispel check on instead of dispelling it.

If you want to identify the spell before stealing it, you need to make a Spellcraft check of 25+Spell level, else you automatically identify it after you steal it. (But if it happens to be a Geas or a Dominate person... and you didn't identify it and stole it anyway... too bad for you...).

After stealing the spell you have full control of the spell (dismissal, concentration, etc), you take it as though you were the original caster of the spell.

Spells dispelled in an area dispel, cannot be stolen.

The Spell Reaving Dispel acts like a Dispel magic except that you can get a maximum of +25 caster level check instead of the usual +10 (or +20 for a Greater Dispel).
If you want, on a targetted dispel or counterspell, you can opt to steal any spell you sucessfully roll a dispel check on instead of dispelling it.

If you want to identify the spell before stealing it, you need to make a Spellcraft check of 25+Spell level, else you automatically identify it after you steal it. (But if it happens to be a Geas or a Dominate person... and you didn't identify it and stole it anyway... too bad for you...).

After stealing the spell you have full control of the spell (dismissal, concentration, etc), you take it as though you were the original caster of the spell.

Spells dispelled in an area dispel, cannot be stolen.

Reaving Dispel

So what level is Reaving Dispel? It sounds pretty cool. I'd say it better be ninth level or close though. Doesn't dispel magic or greater dispel only target one spelll at a time? If I'm right about dispel magic then this spell is like having a potentially infinite number of dispel magic spells if I'm understanding it plus the stealing potential. The DC 25 isn't very high for a high level character. So I'm voting for ninth level. If you're thinking of implementing this spell, Farland master, let Valanduil know. It sounds great.

Reaving Dispel

So what level is Reaving Dispel? It sounds pretty cool. I'd say it better be ninth level or close though. Doesn't dispel magic or greater dispel only target one spelll at a time? If I'm right about dispel magic then this spell is like having a potentially infinite number of dispel magic spells if I'm understanding it plus the stealing potential. The DC 25 isn't very high for a high level character. So I'm voting for ninth level. If you're thinking of implementing this spell, Farland master, let Valanduil know. It sounds great.

It's level 9....

Dispel Magic/Greater Dispel have 3 options

Targeted Dispel: You target one person and dispels ALL spells on a single person or object
Counterspell: You counter a spell as it is being cast
Area Dispel: You dispel the most powerful one spell active on each person in 20' radius area