I'm sharing with the community in hopes of generating some feedback for updates. I've got a similar discussion over on the Paizo forum if you're active there.
I have several goals for this character sheet that drive my development efforts:
- File Size - I don't want a huge file that is a bear to email and/or performs slowly.
- Customization - I use house rules all the time, sometimes changing mid-game if a new concept looks good. I want a Core rules baseline, but also flexibility to change things as needed without too much work.
- Print Friendly - The end result must produce a functional, easy-on-the-eye sheet.
- Electronic Friendly - I want automation that will allow me to apply temporary ability changes, status effects, etc. as I use the sheets live in-game.
- Legal - All material must be covered under the Open Game License as Open Game Content and/or be covered by the Paizo Community Use Policy.
The Class and Feat areas are not very automated--for classes only the BAB, hp, saves, and skill points are covered and there is no Feat automation at this time. These two areas are my primary focus for the next major upgrade (for the curious, Spells and Equipment are my targets after that).
Each tab is Locked, but not password protected. This is so you don't have to worry about accidentally erasing a formula, but can Unlock the tab if you want to change things around. Some fields have formulas but are not locked--these are generally ones where I expect a manual override may be necessary.
The Front and Back tabs are the main sheets, with the Character Info tab thrown in for extra space needs (no automation on it at all). Thanks to GamerGirrl I also have a Spells tab that has some automation.
The Table tab contains the "guts" of the sheet that drive a lot of the automation. You'll see some grey fields on that tab that allow you to add custom races, classes, and skills. You can of course unlock the tab and add all you want, but these fields make it easy to do so without breaking anything.
The Feats tab contains every OGC feat from the Pathfinder RPG and all Pathfinder material. It's got an autofilter that you can use to browse feats, even if you don't want to use the sheet. Note that chunks are missing right now--I need Summary benefits for the non-Core feats and full Benefits for the Core feats, for instance. This tabe will be the source for my Feat automation.
The Traits tab is like Feats...but with traits.
Alternate Class Features is just that--the alternative rules offered up in the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting. No automation as yet, but I'll integrate this into the Class automation.
Community Use Material is the tab for Golarion and Pathfinder IP material that is not actually OGC, but used under the Community Use Policy. Right now, it's just languages. I see future use here for things like nation and deity names, etc. I don't plan on building out a lot beyond that, but wanted a separate section for this type of material. Note that some IP is also found on the Feats and Traits tabs, as they might, for instance, use the name Andoran or refer to the god Irori.
Okay, that's the basics. Questions, comments, and criticism welcome (as is help for anyone interested in data entry, feat summarization, etc.).
Thanks, and most of all, good gaming!