Notices

Social Experiment- leave your sanity at the door

Old Sep 13 '09, 8:02pm
Ready to kick some tail

Social Experiment- leave your sanity at the door

Social Experiment - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 6

Greetings and welcome! I hope you all got some nice rest and thank you for volunteering! The experiment begins now.

DM: Myself, of course

Premise: You were leading your own lives until last night. Now when you wake up, you're in a place where nothing is familiar and are told you volunteered for a "Social Experiment". Perhaps you are in the Outer Realms or perhaps you are even some place else. Regardless, it doesn't take long to figure out that things change here. Frequently. In most cases, you will be told what rules have been changed. In others, it will be easy enough to figure out. The game will primarily be adventuring through this odd place, trying to return home. From time to time, your assumed kidnapper will appear and "take notes". In case you're wondering, yes, the guy is completely insane.

You have been warned. This is not a game for those who need consistency (although there will be a kind of consistency present). It is a game for those who like to think on their feet, and for creative players.

Each character may choose one trait. Other than this, Gestalt, paragon classes, the Paladin variants mentioned in houserules, and alternate class features, NOTHING from Unearthed Arcana is allowed. Do not even ask.

Character creationThis is going to be a very high-powered game. Gestalt level 20 with an additional 2,000 xp. Racial HD and LA only apply to one side of the gestalt. However, with regards to feats such as Swift Hunter, each level that has both classes represented counts as one level for the feat. For example, a Scout20//Ranger 20 with Swift Hunter would count as level 20 for the advanced features (thus, very little benefit). A Scout 14/X6//Y12/Ranger 8 would have an effective level of 20 as well, despite having a 2-level overlap. Likewise, you cannot advance the same casting on both sides of the gestalt (so no Wizard 20//(noncaster)10/Incantrix 10 for 30th level casting).

Determining abilities is done either by rolling 7m5d6v2 and dropping the lowest set or by 42 point buy. You may roll before deciding, but there are no re-rolls. Hit points are rolled (maxxing first hit die) Please do all rolls in this thread.

Gold is 760,000, standard for 20th level.

If you wish to play a race/template that doesn't have a listed LA or LA:-, you must talk to me to see if we can come to an agreeable LA for the race or you may not play as that race. Do not assume it has LA +0.

Applications: Each application requires the following:
Name:
Alignment:
Race:
Class/role

Physical Description or picture (either works):

Personality:

Background:

Each application may also include the following as extras:
Character sheet (linked through name)
Picture or physical description, whichever isn't there already

All applications must be posted in this thread or they will not be considered.

What I wantI am looking for up to 6 players with quality applications. I am quite familiar with optimization, so I will know if you are trying something rediculous (doesn't mean I'll disallow it, though). I will choose players on September 26.

Please have pre-game discussion in this thread. This thread is for posting intrest and asking questions only.

Game Description:

PremiseYou sit up, rubbing your head. It doesn't take you long to notice that you aren't where you last remember being, and nothing looks familiar. Looking around, you see several others that seem to share your confusion.

"You're all awake! That is such wonderful news!" The speaker looks human, but too many things just don't fit on him. Maybe it's the rounded skull or the one pointed ear, but he doesn't really look like any race you've seen before. "Social experiments work so much better when the volunteers are concious!"

This is the MMO that will be copied next.

Last edited by snakeman830; Sep 16 '09 at 5:59pm..
Can you write a little more on what the game will be like?
From the above it seems like the main thing is character construction

The game will primarily be adventuring through this odd place, trying to return home. From time to time, your assumed kidnapper will appear and "take notes". In case you're wondering, yes, the guy is completely insane.

It doesn't seem like much, but I promise you that it will end up being rather complex. As you go, you will learn plenty about the plane you are in and why you are there.

Oh, and interplanar travel is impossible in this game. Summoning/calling still works, but not spells like Plane Shift or the travel function of Gate

hey - Looks awesome - and would you allow a 1)Factotum/warblade 2)factotum/warblade/chamelon (from races of destiny) 3)the font of inspiration feat 4)divine metamagic (persistent)

Sounds interesting, but having no experience playing such high level games, I wouldn't even venture a try. I may read it, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
The game will primarily be adventuring through this odd place, trying to return home. From time to time, your assumed kidnapper will appear and "take notes". In case you're wondering, yes, the guy is completely insane.

It doesn't seem like much, but I promise you that it will end up being rather complex. As you go, you will learn plenty about the plane you are in and why you are there.

Oh, and interplanar travel is impossible in this game. Summoning/calling still works, but not spells like Plane Shift or the travel function of Gate
Does this imply a kind of dungeon crawl, going from one weird place to another? Or more of a mystery story, adding up the pieces of the puzzzle so as to escape?
Would it be possible to go through it with no combat? Or would combat be a big part of the game?
Will here be many NPCs, and an emphasis on interactions with them?
What kind of creatures are the likely antagonists? I realize you don't want to reveal too much, but on the other hand, one wouldn't want to build, say, a caster focused on enchantment and illusion and then find oneself mostly among undeads and golems... Happend to me once

And as for the builds - are you keen on clever builds with a lot of gestalt synergy, or do you prefer simple straightforward builds?

Can we stack same-score-to-same-function? Hexblade/Paladin for Cha to saves twice kinda thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblue View Post
Does this imply a kind of dungeon crawl, going from one weird place to another? Or more of a mystery story, adding up the pieces of the puzzzle so as to escape?
Would it be possible to go through it with no combat? Or would combat be a big part of the game?
Will here be many NPCs, and an emphasis on interactions with them?
What kind of creatures are the likely antagonists? I realize you don't want to reveal too much, but on the other hand, one wouldn't want to build, say, a caster focused on enchantment and illusion and then find oneself mostly among undeads and golems... Happend to me once

And as for the builds - are you keen on clever builds with a lot of gestalt synergy, or do you prefer simple straightforward builds?
Kind of a combination; for the most part it seems like a dungeon crawl, but you are gathering clues that let you leave.
There aren't too many NPC's, but the ones that are there will pop up pretty much randomly. I will give you a way to buy/sell stuff more or less at convinience, though.
Combat will be a part of the game, but not necessarily a majority. I do love roleplaying.
Any critters you are fighting are more or less going to be random and may be no better suited to a sitation than you. However, most of them will be outsiders or aberrations.

As for builds, do what you like. Just be prepared to justify it. I would, for example, wonder what you were thinking if you had levels in Dread Necromancer on one side and Hunter of the Dead on the other.

@Avenger: since they come from different sources, yes. However, Monk and Swordsage AC bonuses would not stack (they specifically say they don't)

@templer10: Those are all good to go,since they only use allowed books. Just remember that DMM doesn't work on arcane spells.

Just remember: Anything you can do, I can do worse.

Looks interesting. But because I am not well acquainted with jestalt, if I make a drow she can be cleric20/sorceress18 (if I understood right)?
or Cleric18/sorceress18 ?

Also no LA buyoff, right?