Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with D&D 4th Edition.

your advice

It is a little wierd with regards to the Mastery of Shaping type of effect embedded in the spell. If not for that I would say it would be a 4 or 5th level spell. The spell makes sense in a way and I don't think it is overpowered as long as you keep the "The caster can choose which creatures in the area are affected and which are not, although he must be able to see the creatures." requirement

Yeah, it seems pretty cool, although I agree with JJeff in saying that it could be lowered by a spell level. It's dealing about the same damage as a fireball, but it's more targetted, which would raise it by a level, and it has the knocking over effect, which raises it another level. So make it lvl5.

Yeah, it seems pretty cool, although I agree with JJeff in saying that it could be lowered by a spell level. It's dealing about the same damage as a fireball, but it's more targetted, which would raise it by a level, and it has the knocking over effect, which raises it another level. So make it lvl5.

Good advice both. For some reason i want to keep it a 6th level spell. What if I raised the damage cap to 20d6 to bring it inline with chain lightning, would that make it a more appropriate 6th level spell?

Good advice both. For some reason i want to keep it a 6th level spell. What if I raised the damage cap to 20d6 to bring it inline with chain lightning, would that make it a more appropriate 6th level spell?

I personally think 20d6 would be a bit much, myself. I rather like the spell the way it is. It seems a useful, but not overpowered, offensive spell.

I personally think 20d6 would be a bit much, myself. I rather like the spell the way it is. It seems a useful, but not overpowered, offensive spell.

I like it, but I think that a reflex save wouldn't be the best thing to avoid being knocked. Perhaps a balance check to avoid being knocked prone, but I am thinking of it as a sphere of force, which would be quite difficult to "dodge", if it were just a spherical wave emanating from the caster.

Strength check perhaps?

Also, I think the push should be 1 foot/level, up to a maximum of the 30 foot range. This would essentially translate to 5 feet/5 levels. At 12th level, when access to this spell is gained, you would push them back 10 feet, at 15th you would push them 15, and at 20th you would push them 20 feet. This would bring it a little closer to a 6th level spell.

I like it, but I think that a reflex save wouldn't be the best thing to avoid being knocked. Perhaps a balance check to avoid being knocked prone, but I am thinking of it as a sphere of force, which would be quite difficult to "dodge", if it were just a spherical wave emanating from the caster.

Strength check perhaps?

Also, I think the push should be 1 foot/level, up to a maximum of the 30 foot range. This would essentially translate to 5 feet/5 levels. At 12th level, when access to this spell is gained, you would push them back 10 feet, at 15th you would push them 15, and at 20th you would push them 20 feet. This would bring it a little closer to a 6th level spell.

Ah, isnt this alot like Mind Blast from a Mindflayer, just more damage? Why not make a spell called mind blast and make it do damage according to the casters level? otherwise, cool spell.