The Lost Academy of Khazarum

Old Oct 4 '09, 11:51pm
Telekinetic Brain-in-a-jar

The Lost Academy of Khazarum - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Introduction and a note on tone and styleWelcome everyone, and thank you for coming. The Lost Academy of Khazarum is a campaign I've been putting together for a while, and I believe the time has come to put it into action. I've been playing DnD for about five years now, and have DMed my fair share in that time. I've played a fair bit of PbP, and while it's no replacement for the real thing, it has its own strengths and appeals. Being a lover of language and literature, the opportunities for expressing character and story that PbP offers are absolutely fantastic.

The Lost Academy is heavily narrative based, as befits the medium of PbP. This means that there is a definite plot to the campaign, but does not mean that the players will have no freedom. The beginning will set the character's primary goals, and as the story progresses, the ways of pursuing those goals will expand, and players will have plenty of opportunity to shape the campaign to suit their characters, be it through side quests and exploration, or creative solutions to the problems they face. I will do my best to avoid railroading anyone. Character applications should fit the tone of the adventure, that is, they should be someone who would naturally take part in this adventure.

The game should have a slightly cinematic feel, and I will do my best give rich descriptions, and in some instances, provide visual aids. The game will take place in a series of chapters, beginning with a prologue that will consist of (gasp) almost no dice rolls. Instead, it will lay the foundation of the characters, the plot, and the party dynamic. The action will pick up soon thereafter, don't you worry!

The game will feature significant travel and exploration. The ultimate goal is an ancient place of power and higher learning; a place of legend, or perhaps only fairy-tale. A place as filled with gold as it is with ancient secrets. A place of books and magic and forbidden science. Does such a place even exist?

I'm looking for a party of 4 MAAAAAYBE 5... maybe. I'll probably take maybe 2 alternates.

EDIT: No advance knowledge is necessary, all will be made clear in the Prologue. In fact, very little is known about the Academy at all. The only somewhat commonly-known reference to the Academy is in that of a lesser-known fairy tale, Little Sharee and the Ghosts of Khazarum. It's commonly regarded as mere fantasy, a child's tale. It is about equivalent to a folk tale such as that of Rose Red, The Seven Swans/Three Ravens, Weyland Smith, The Three Little Men in the Wood, or the like. Second-tier stories, known to those with an interest in tales, but not nearly so common as say, Goldilocks, Cinderella, or Snow White. Characters should start with little or no knowledge of the Academy.

A character who fits the campaign might be one who is motivated by archaeology or ruins exploration, vast treasure hoards or ancient lost knowledge, massive otherworldly libraries or the secret truths of old folk tales. These don't need to feature at all as motivations, but characters motivated by such things would fit well in this adventure. There will be things that try and hook different motivations and characters, but exploration, riddles, puzzles, dungeon-crawling, and the like will feature largely, and should thus be fields in which characters have strengths. There will be urban interactions as well, but significantly less social interaction gameplay. Characters that are basically face-only characters will probably get less out of the campaign than dungeon delvers, wilderness types, fighters, arcanists, scholars, or treasure hunters.

These are simply meant to be guidelines to consider when designing a character, not necessities or requirements. Most characters would fit into this campaign well, and as it's not fully worked out to the detail, it can be made to fit most any character concept you might want to play.

If I see something that's way off the mark, I'll let that applicant know, and they can make changes if they like. Other than that, you should go with your instincts. Play what you'd enjoy playing, as that's the point of the game, after all.

Character Creation GuidelinesStarting level: Characters will start at 3rd level, no bonus XP. Expect to see 4th level fairly quickly. I tend to hand out experience fairly generously, but, well, we'll see, won't we?

Stat Generation: Roll 5d6v2 7 times, and take the best 6. Make your rolls HERE. You characters are heroes, or at least, skilled and hardy professionals, and yours stats reflect that. Re-rolls unlikely; granted on a case-by-case basis.

Acceptable Source Material: I have or have access to pretty much every 3.5 book there is. Incuding, but not limited to: Core/SRD (including UA and XPH), DMGII, PHBII, Races of Destiny, Dragon, Eberron, Stone, and the Wild, Dragon Magic, Dragon Compendium, Stormwrack, Frostburn, Sandstorm, Complete BLANK (including champion, mage, psionic, and scoundrel), Magic of Incarnum, Lords of Madness, Heroes of Horror, Heroes of Battle, and Libris Mortis. I also have/access to ToB, ToM, though I've never really used either, and am not totally sold on them. Same goes for BoVD/BoED. Additionally, pretty much anything on Crystal Keep is ok, homebrew is a maybe, but must be pre-approved. I reserve ultimate veto rights on any thing or combination of things from any book(s).

Starting Gold: 2,700 + starting gold per character class.

Hit Points: Max at first level, thereafter rolled, re-roll any ones (ones that come up on the re-roll stay ones, however)

Houserules and Additional info: I don't really have many things to put here, at least none that come to mind. One thing, however, is the addition of "Fluff Points". These are 6 bonus skill points your character will have at creation. They are to be used for flavor skills. Craft, especially more obscure ones like Craft(painting) or Craft(cooking) are good options, as are Perform(Weapon Drill) or Perform(Comedy) and the like. Profession(whatever), or even fun but less-used skills like Appraise, Forgery, or Decipher Script all fit the bill. I leave it up to you. However, I want to see it noted what you've spent them on and why. Putting the points in Bluff because your character "used to lie a lot" is stretching it miiiighty thin, and not really in the spirit of having the points in the first place.

Alternately, fluff points can be spent on additional starting languages. 3 points = 1 language.

Weapon enchantments and +x equivalent abilities: The RAW state that weapons must be +1 before they can have abilities. I don't enforce this. However, the rules about +x weapons and sundering still apply, so if some barbarian sunders your Flaming, Frost, Keen, Thundering, Shocking Burst Greatsword with his +1 longsword, well, that's your own fault, isn't it? (note: this situation probably won't come up much, but it bears mentioning)

Applications
For characters, I'd like the following:

A [fieldset] with the following elements inside it
Name: Full name, formatted as a link to your sheet, and nicknames, if any.
Race: Race goes here. Duh!
Class(es): Do as the bolded text directs you.
Alignment: Non-evil, please. Sorry, evil-doers, this campaign is not your style.

A bit about the world
The world this game takes place in is a homebrew world that is as-yet unnamed. Its major features and powers are fairly well-defined, but it was built with a macro -> micro approach, so there is still some of opportunity for player world-building. I've placed the map and descriptions in a spoiler tag because the following bits of fluff are really quite long.

The Deities of the realm or standard DnD deities, plus a few forgotten realms ones I particularly like, such as Oghma, Deneir and Gond. If your character worships a certain deity that's not one of the basic ones, let me know and I'll almost certaintly incorporate that religion into the world.

Feel free to invent cities, villages, guilds, organizations, and NPCs to flesh out the world as you need for your character.

Post rate and update schedulePost rate should average about 1/day. I'm not too strict about this, because I, personally, am not perfect about this, but I'd like to keep the momentum going. I have a lot of the material pre-prepared, so there should, in general, not be too many big lags in gameplay. However, I am currently a student at art school, and my availability fluctuates wildly from day to day and week to week. This game may be characterized by patterns of alternate high-rate updating and low-rate updating. I apologize in advance. Give this, however, I must add the following. While there may be occasional periods of down-time, I have long-term dedication to this, and am always willing to pick up a game that has "died".

So that's the long and short of it. I will try to keep everything moving, but cannot promise a campaign without hitches. However, I will always attempt to re-ignite the fire when it has died down to coals.

Application is CLOSED.

Game Description:

The Lost Academy of Khazarum is a highly narrative, exploration and world-discovery based campaign. Scorching deserts and lush jungles, fridgid wastelands and tropical islands, tall mountains and deep caves, mysterious sunken reefs and gentle rolling farmland. All of these and more await the intrepid adventurers brave enough to step beyond the borders of their homeland.

Last edited by sruskin; Oct 18 '09 at 9:50pm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sruskin
Character applications should fit the tone of the adventure, that is, they should be someone who would naturally take part in this adventure.
What sort of characters are you looking for then? Are they characters who have already heard about this Lost Academy and are searching for it, or what? Also, where will the game be set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
What sort of characters are you looking for then? Are they characters who have already heard about this Lost Academy and are searching for it, or what? Also, where will the game be set?
Excellent question. I intended to add that, but it slipped through the cracks somehow.

No advance knowledge is necessary, all will be made clear in the Prologue. In fact, very little is known at all. The only commonly-known reference to the Academy is in that of a lesser-known fairy tale, Little Sharee and the Ghosts of Khazarum. It's commonly regarded as mere fantasy, a child's tale. It is about equivalent to a folk tale such as that of Rose Red, The Seven Swans/Three Ravens, Weyland Smith, The Three Little Men in the Wood, or the like. Second-tier stories, known to those with an interest in tales, but not nearly so common as say, Goldilocks, Cinderella, or Snow White.

Showing interest, when I have the time soon, you can count on an application from me.

Hmm... tough to say, really. In all likelihood, and if the attention of the players lasts that far, I could see this campaign going up to the 15-20 mark. Big bad evil guys need big tough heroes to take them down

This is kind of an odd question, but is there any deity that's kind of a crossover between Pelor and Lathander?

Hmmm, looks pretty cool, I think I'll apply with just a core character, just got back into 3.5 and don't feel like digging through all my source books just yet.

Sounds like a fun campaign--count me in! I'll take some time to let the ideas ferment and then post a character.