Weapon range - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Weapon range

Weapon range

If I have a swordmage attack power that is at melee range weapon. And I have my weapon embedded in an opponent.
Can I use said power on the target even if I am more than one square away?

I don't know if I understand what you're asking, but let me try to see if this helps:

- Melee touch refers to your character's reach, what he can personally touch, no matter the weapon he's using.
- Melee 1 only works on adjacent targets, no matter your reach.
- Melee reach can hit what you could normally hit with a melee basic attack: if you have a reach weapon, you can hit x squares away where x is the weapon's reach.

Having said that, what do you mean by embedded? What's the power?

Yeah, that's somewhat hard to understand. Usually, if the weapon is not in your hand, you can't use it to attack - unless it's an special case, provided by a magic weapon or a power, that specifically states that you can do so. A little more information would do well to help us help you. (;

Sorry, but even with Swordbond, you have to actually hold your weapon to wield it.

Well, I got the idea when playing Crono Trigger of all games, where a combo attack involves Frog sticking his sword in a target, and some one uses it like a lighting rod to char it up.

I was thinking that since there are several instances where a Swordmage has the sword actually leave their hands as part of the effect, in addition to being able to recall it.
Some powers actually cause your sword to change state as part of the attack, such as Greenfire blade that ignites your sword. So I was wondering that since the Sword as implement and the range is effected by what your weapon can hit (as per raw), coupled with Farbond blade where you can turn a heavy blade into a thrown weapon. if you could at range cause your sword to essentially trigger a Greenfire blade effect from a distance.

Short answer: you can't trigger greenfire blade at a distance.

Long answer:
Nice idea (I got enjoyable flashbacks, thanks ^^), but as I see it, when you make your melee weapon thrown, it stops being melee. You could do several things to increase its reach, but it does have to be in your hands. There ARE powers that make you throw the sword, but that's fluff to explain it being a weapon and not implement power.

You could make your own homebrewed power, ranged 5, weapon keyword, Int vs AC. You teleport (or just jump) on top of the creature, stab it with your weapon, teleport back and cast a lightning bolt on the sword. It disappears and reappears on your hand.

Thanks for the going over. Was just a novel idea i had that I was not sure if it was capable of being implemented or not.

Well... if you add in levels of Bloodstorm Blade it might work since all "ranged" attacks are now considered melee for anything that adds to or can be used with your normal melee attack.