Critique my Custom Class: The Harrier (Martial Controller) - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Critique my Custom Class: The Harrier (Martial Controller)

Critique my D&D 4e Custom Class: The Harrier (Martial Controller)

Class TraitsClass: Harrier
Role: Controller
Power Source: Martial
Key Abilities: Strength, Constitution, Dexterity

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military Melee, Whip
Bonus to Defense: + Fortitude, + Reflex

Hit Points at 1st level: 13 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 7+ Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance, Healing, Intimidate, Perception

Class Feature: Combat Technique

Harrier FeatsAdept Jouster: +2 damage when charging with polearm and shift 1 square after charge.

Strike the Sluggish: +1 Attack against slowed enemies

Work in progress so please feel free to give me some constructive criticism. I've got to say that this experiment has given me a whole new appreciation for the art of class creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post
Work in progress so please feel free to give me some constructive criticism. I've got to say that this experiment has given me a whole new appreciation for the art of class creation.
It does, doesn't it?

Just helping brainstorm - If you need ideas on further powers, consider heading back to 3.xe roots and using the 'setting against a charge' concept. It fits the controller role and works with the class in general (Stop & impale a charging opponent within reach.)

You already don't have to charge to an adjacent square, just the first square from which you can make the attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
You already don't have to charge to an adjacent square, just the first square from which you can make the attack
Well look at that, I could've sworn you had to. Changed to:

Adept Jouster: +2 damage when charging with polearm and shift 1 square after charge.

On a quick overview, the two builds seem almost like completely different classes, with almost zero overlap and no ability to switch between them. The dual flail build also feels extremely specific. I like the concept of the class overall, I just think it needs to broaden out a bit, a wider selection of weapons and fewer weapon specific powers. I strongly prefer powers with a bonus for a given build or weapon type to restricted powers, they encourage creative builds instead of straitjacketing players into a certain set of powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
On a quick overview, the two builds seem almost like completely different classes, with almost zero overlap and no ability to switch between them. The dual flail build also feels extremely specific. I like the concept of the class overall, I just think it needs to broaden out a bit, a wider selection of weapons and fewer weapon specific powers. I strongly prefer powers with a bonus for a given build or weapon type to restricted powers, they encourage creative builds instead of straitjacketing players into a certain set of powers.
Thanks for taking a look leons.

Your points are all good ones. The builds are very distinctive, and I probably could have very easily just stuck with one Technique or the other for the full class. Though you could say the same thing about the different fighting styles of the ranger as well.

I probably should reduce the weapon specific powers to allow more interchange, but that specificity was by design as I wanted to bring some love to weapons that I feel are regularly overshadowed. This is particularly true of the flail group. To start I was going to make this an all fail class but that was even more restrictive and so I expanded it to the reach weapons.

The two weapons that could take advantage of all the powers would be the spiked chain and the whip. This is one reason I made the whip a weapon that the class started with.