Resistance Stacking - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Resistance Stacking

Resistance Stacking

I know the rules for bonuses and penalties, but do resistances stack?

For example, does a Goliath's Stone's Endurance (resist 5 to all dmg until end of next turn) stack with the feat Earthstrength Resilience (when you use your second wind, gain resist 2 to all dmg)?

I know sources don't stack, for example resits 5/fire and resist 5/all would still just be resist 5.

I would rule it as yes- 1's a racial power 1's a feat, different types of bonuses. Then again, I haven't had to deal with resistance, yet.

depends on the source of the resistance. Racial, Class, Feat, or Item.

One resistance from each would stack, multiples from the same source do not.

So from your example, yes they would stack as one is racial and one is feat.

Doh! Deleted due to my inability to read... heh...

What, you've never made mistakes Sithobil?

Ryfte: Wrong system again.

Please remember to check the tags. This, for example, is a 4e thread.

Resistances don't stack. You take the highest resistance that applies to all damage types dealt(so a power that dealt fire and cold would take the lower of the two), but if you have two resistances to the same damage type, you just use the higher one.

Unless, of course, one of the sources specifies otherwise.

Note that using the lower of the two should only apply to damage types. If you have something that confers resistance 5 to ranged damage, and something else that grants fire resistance 10, you shouldn't take more damage from ranged fire attacks than melee ones. Which may not be strictly speaking RAW, but just makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
You take the highest resistance that applies to all damage types dealt(so a power that dealt fire and cold would take the lower of the two)
I don't think I understand this. Would you mind explaining?

Let's say someone uses the Icey Fire power. It launches a blast at opponents that deals 2d6 Fire and Cold damage.

I, the target, have Fire resistance 10 and Cold resistance 5. Since this deals damage that is considered both, the lower of my two resistances, Cold, applice, so I have resist 5 cold.