Single-Handed Heavy blades? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Single-Handed Heavy blades?

Single-Handed Heavy blades?

Is there any single-handed, non-versatile Heavy Blade but the Scimitar? Something a small character could use single handed that would give him a +3 profficiency bonus?

It's for DnD 4e, not 7th seas. I can't seem to figure out how to change it.

There is the Talenta Tangat, out of Eberron Player's Guide. However, it's just a scimitar with small and versatile (statistically).

You could take a short sword, though it's a light blade, not heavy.

What kind of build are you making?

Nope. You'll find that the options for gnomes and halflings are limited when it comes to one handed weapons.

Of course, they make up for it in other areas (second chance is a life saver, DEX/CHA is a great striker combo, INT/CHA + invisibility allows you to set up a hit, etc) but that's the topic for another day.

If you want to use a 1d8 weapon one handed as a small creature, you've basically got the scimitar and the scourge (flail weapon from Adv. Vault). Spent a feat for the rapier, and you have a 1d8 light blade with a +3 prof bonus. It's worth it if you want to make certain characters (gnome swordmage, any rogue, halfling paladin).

Otherwise, you're going the two handed route. Note that this isn't entirely a bad thing if you're a non warden defender or a barbarian. You can also spend a feat on the waraxe to get a 1d12 2 handed weapon for a small character, or use the bastard sword for the +3 bonus. 2 handed swordmages will do this (though most I've seen go 1 handed to get the higher warding bonus).

Think of it this way: yes, the proficiency bonus stinks, but small characters get really good bonuses to some powers that other classes WISH they could have. A halfling can negate a critical hit! That's huge. A gnome is basically guaranteed combat advantage with the fade away power...what a great way of making sure your daily connects.

I think the long knife is a light blade.

But yeah, Hammerfist got it. I'm actually apping a Halfling paladin in another thread, and while I'm happy with the build (mostly), I was curious if I could get a bit better to-hit numbers. Since the Paladin's main attacks are Strength and Charisma based, going Light Blade isn't exactly optimal--they're dex weapons and require me pumping dex to get the good feats with (and everyone wants to eventually have a mastery of some sort), handicapping my to-hit ability with my paladin attacks.

Overall, it's not a terribly big deal, just a +1 to hit, and there are plenty of paladin weapon powers that target non-AC defenses, so a +1 isn't a terribly big deal. But you never know if you missed some heavy blade somewhere that has a +3 prof bonus and is also one-handed. Thanks for the help!

The Drow Long Knife is a Heavy Blade, Off-Hand, Heavy Thrown with a +3 proficiency bonus. It's also a Superior Weapon, so you have to spend a feat to take it. It's the ONLY heavy thrown weapon with a +3 proficiency, meaning that it's a pretty good deal if you're a Resourceful Build Warlord, or if you're a Two-Weapon Fighter with Weapon Focus/Expertise Heavy Blades, and you want to have an effective ranged attack.

But for a Halfling Paladin, you're almost certainly better off to stay with the Short Sword, which is also a +3 proficiency weapon, but you can use it for free.

Most of the heavy blade feats require dex as well, though perhaps not quite as much as light blade.