NWoD Survival Horror game

Old Oct 29 '09, 2:27pm
Hatchling

NWoD Survival Horror game

Stepping on Shadows - Forum
World of Darkness
Ad Closes: Nov 9 '09
Estimated Members Requested: 5

An unusual, but hopefully still thrilling, New World of Darkness game.

Game Description:

You hold your breath and cross your fingers as the tiny passenger plane descends toward the dirt runway. A heavy jolt resonates through your body, jarring your teeth and blurring your vision. For what seems like a half hour the plane tries to vibrate itself apart with you and the rest of the passengers strapped to the seats and holding on for dear life. Eventually the shaking subsides and the pilot's voice comes over the speaker. Naturally, it's in Spanish.

You assume he's telling you that the plane is landed safely as you're still in one piece. Looks can be deceiving though, so you pull yourself to your feet. Aching muscles and tendons from the four hour flight feel like metal cables stretched tight beneath your skin. Grabbing your overhead luggage, you step out into the harsh light of Mexican sun.

The heat and humidity fall on you in a wave, so heavy that itís difficult to breathe. The sensation is eerily similar to being plunged into a tub of hot water. The sounds of the Mesoamerican jungle pervade the air with a cacophony of birds, beasts and insects. A pinprick of pain originates from your arm forcing a retaliatory slap. A quick glance at your hand confirms your suspicion; a bloody, black smear that was once a mosquito. Undoubtedly, the first of many such encounters with the disease carrying parasites.

Shambling over the sun baked red clay to the luggage distributor, you take a place in line to retrieve your belongings. You are met with a hail of curses from the other passengers. Apparently your baggage didnít board the plane when you did, leaving you with nothing but what you packed in your overhead bags.

'How could this day possibly get any worse?', You ask yourself quietly.

If only you knew.

Stepping on Shadows is the story of 5 unlikely allies who must band together and support each other with their strengths if they want to get home alive. Set deep within the mysterious jungles of Central America, the characters are all members of an archeological expedition put together by Dr. Jean laSorte to uncover an never before discovered temple from an extinct civilization.

We're going to be using the Storytelling game system from White Wolf, playing as mortal human characters. I'm looking for 5 players to fill the roles (see below) of expedition personnel and employees. As for character creation, you're all relatively new to your jobs. Basic build rules, no experience, no Morality trade-offs. Let's keep things simple and stick to the Core rulebook. If you find something that you absolutely must have, do what every teenager in the history of the world has done and whine about it. Who knows, maybe I'll actually acquiesce. Background is nice, but don't stress too much about it. The only things that are set in stone are the fact that you're on the expedition and that you haven't encountered nasties. You all ended up on the expedition because you were qualified and available. You fill in the rest.

I need each player to choose a predetermined archetype to build their character around. The archetypes fulfill story roles and maintain party diversity, as well as being flexible enough to really make your own. Each also come attached with a primary "trait" that will help define but hopefully not limit character behavior. Here they are...

Security/Jungle Guide (Courage)
Field Medic/Volunteer doctor (Kindness)
Archeologist's assistant (Knowledge)
Photojournalist (Insight)
Worker/Labor supervisor (Endurance)

And I believe Danny_Rand has claimed the Medic position in another thread. Here is a great place to discuss and hash out who's filling whose shoes.

It's good to see some interest. If we can get all of the positions filled, we'll be starting on Monday Nov 2nd.

I'll play the photojournalist

A pure motal game? Hell yeah. I'll definitely make time for this. I want to be all five... I'll narrow it down before too long.

I'd like to play the labourer. Basic character outline:

Nick van der Hoop is from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and is in his mid 20's. From a large family, he moved through school into a trade like the rest of the men in his family. A cabinetmaker by training, Nick also picked up a lot of small engine mechanics and basic electrical skills from helping out with his brothers' small businesses.

As solid as a bull, Nick doesn't say much. He likes practical jokes though, and his sense of humor runs towards slapstick. In his spare time he works on his cars (he has a few, a work truck (Ford F100) and a BMW he races). He also likes to read, mainly pulpy action novels. He doesn't drink all that often, but when he does.... hoo boy.

Rather than follow the van der Hoop model of working insanely hard, getting married young & starting a family, Nick has decided against settling down. Word-of-mouth put him in touch with the Dr, and soon enough he is in Central America.

If only oma could see me now!

I'm curious what source books we can use for equipment and such, specifically Asylum (for medical merits) and Armoury (for merits/equipment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Rand View Post
I'm curious what source books we can use for equipment and such, specifically Asylum (for medical merits) and Armoury (for merits/equipment)
Lets try and keep it core, but if you really must have something, whine to me about it (with full write up of the merit/weapon/whatever) and I'll decide from there. No promises though. Call me a NWoD fundamentalist if you want, but I'm of the mind set that one can create a unique and interesting character using only the core. That was kind of why they called it the core.

Alright folks, I'd really like to start this up on Monday, so the first draft is in session. I'm picking characters based on group functionality and realistic flavor. Feel free to make your character unique, but remember he was picked for this expedition because of his credentials. A jungle guide who only fights with his bare hands, an archeologist who canít decipher ancient languages, a photojournalist without an eye for good stories, a medical professional who is more of a psychologist than doctor, or a laborer who is physically incapable of using a shovel would never be picked by Jean LaSorte, the ruthless businessman and archeologist who funded and leads the expedition, to be a part of his undertaking.

I'll be picking the final roster from the Character Build Discussion thread in the Stepping on Shadows forum so be sure to post your concepts and ideas over there if you truly want a slot.