Ally: Leader powers - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Ally: Leader powers

Ally: Leader powers

When using Leader class characters (and on a couple of other classes' powers), the Ally only option often crops up. While this does seem Leader-ish, I kind of feel that a Leader-class become a hassle to play (and roleplay) when adventuring alone (whether separated from party or truly solo).

Is it too unbalancing to include self as Ally?

usually? probably not

but on occassion, it will cause some rather strange circumstances, such as interposing yourself to prevent yourself from being attacked

It's a very intentional design decision to not count yourself as an Ally. Powers that allow either target explicitly say "you or one ally", or "you and all allies". So apparently, The Powers That Be do think it would be unbalancing in the powers that don't include such terminology.

some controller builds can solo well enough

Solo-ing without using additional house-rules (or making the game too bland - encounters of only 1 or 2 creatures are not terribly fun) is impractical anyway, so including yourself in these powers effect is hardly unbalanced. After all, the game wasn't designed for solo play, but for a group of at least 4 people.

Actually, leaders make fairly good solo characters, as they can heal themselves. Pick up a big weapon and your damage can be pretty respectable, too. Paladins work well for the same reason.

My personal suggestion goes for str-clerics using fullblades. I use one in a normal game, and while he isn't nowhere near a striker, he can fend for himself quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
Solo-ing without using additional house-rules (or making the game too bland - encounters of only 1 or 2 creatures are not terribly fun) is impractical anyway, so including yourself in these powers effect is hardly unbalanced. After all, the game wasn't designed for solo play, but for a group of at least 4 people.
I agree with this line of thought.

The game is unbalanced with a part of 1 to begin with. So, including self as ally i nthat situation isn't game breaking unbalanced.

The DMG2 has rules for Companion characters. Providing one for a solo Leader party would allow the use of ally powers. Plus it would double the encounter XP, which means more monsters.

I'm currently working on an artifact (Deck of Companions) that would allow a player some choices when it comes to using a Companion during play. There is a thread in this forum and also a page for it in the Homebrew wiki.