GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Miscellaneous resource/prop exchange and requests

Miscellaneous resource/prop exchange and requests

The intention of this thread is to provide a space for DMs to echange stuff to use in-game as props and such. Images, maps, music, and so on.

---

First, a link to some of my stuff. I regularly trawl Deviant Art for images I think could be useful for a DnD game, and I've gathered up a pretty sizable collection of stuff. (I can't draw a straight line to save my life, so to make it absolutely clear, none of this is actually mine. I'm just a collector, and any credit should go to the actual artists.) Characters, Monster, Scenery, and Misc. Props.

---

Next, a request. My players are currently climbing a rather tall tower. At the top, there will be a boss who is, among other things, a Dirgesinger (Libris Mortis: Book of Bad Latin). If possible, I would like to have an actual recording to go with the description of music. Thus far, I haven't had much luck. So, if anyone could direct me to something, I'd be much obliged. Here's what I need:

Absolutely required:
Focus on a male singer
A song that evokes grief, sadness, and loss

Preferred:
A deep (bass or baritone) voice
A projective quality, something that one would hear from a distance
A single voice, or at least no female vocals
Non-English lyrics
Minimal or zero instrumental parts. (Bard magic could conceivably be used to to fill this in, so that's a lesser issue)

So far, I'm leaning back and forth between two options. Most likely right now is a link to this humble video. His voice (though very nice) is not quite as deep as I want, and the chant doesn't really evoke grief. I've also considered using Red Water (Christmas Mourning) by Type O Negative. (I would provide a link, but I think that would violate forum rules. It shouldn't be hard to find looking for oneself.) It evokes all the right emotions, but the vocals are more whispered or muttered than projected, and it has a heavy instrumental focus. Plus, I suspect at least one of the players might recognize it.

Hmm, I don't really know many songs that might fit the bill. All I can think of at the moment is A View of Burning Empires by Trivium (linky). That has the emotion in it (at least, I've always associated it with grief/sadness), but the problem is it doesn't have any vocals at all. Perhaps he could just be playing the music rather than singing it?

As for contributing my own resources, my usual response upon finding a picture I like is to download it rather than bookmark it. Still, I think I have some albums bookmarked, I'll see if I can find them in them tangled mess that is my bookmark folder sometime this evening.

It's important for the image that it's this guy singing rather than something instrumental.

With Deviant Art, my instinct is to bookmark rather than download in order to simplify giving proper credit to the artist when I use it in game.

So, this might fit the bill, at least for bass, male, no instrumental, limited backup. I'm not sure if it's 'sad' enough, but check it out. If nothing else, the related videos might have something useful.

[edit]This is the full piece, I believe.

Type O's Profit of Doom is pretty heavy sounding.. Deep bass voice and riffy is Type O territory in my opinion, as I've only rarely heard a voice deeper than Steele's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuine View Post
So, this might fit the bill, at least for bass, male, no instrumental, limited backup. I'm not sure if it's 'sad' enough, but check it out. If nothing else, the related videos might have something useful.

[edit]This is the full piece, I believe.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's too deep. That's more singing deep for the sake of singing deep alone; I don't like the way it sounds at all. Doesn't really evoke sadness to me either. I like my first link better for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atewi View Post
Type O's Profit of Doom is pretty heavy sounding.. Deep bass voice and riffy is Type O territory in my opinion, as I've only rarely heard a voice deeper than Steele's.
All right, that's a step in the right direction. Type O Negative has gotten mixed results for me so I'm not familiar with all of their stuff, but that's pretty good. The second movement (2:10 in the recording I'm listening to; where the sitar starts) has been the most suitable music thus far.

Steele's voice is just right for this, I agree. In my perfect world, I'd use a recording of him singing some kind of Latin requiem.

Hmmmm.... May not have the vocal aspect you need, but check on Danzig's Black Aria (NOT like any other danzig album) - I haven't listened to it in a few years, so its hard to recall.

Also, for mulitple male voices in a capella latin music: Thomas Tallis' Lamentations of Jeremiah - 5 part male harmony, so also doesn't focus on the bass/baritone, but does have a lot of sadness and grief in the music.

Tallis might have some other latin and/or a capella stuff, but that's all I know of off the top of my head.

PD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Hmmmm.... May not have the vocal aspect you need, but check on Danzig's Black Aria (NOT like any other danzig album) - I haven't listened to it in a few years, so its hard to recall.
I might look more at that, but the track that came up first when searching that on Youtube had only female vocals. Very pretty, but not what I'm looking for. At the moment that's all I've listened to; perhaps another track will work.

Quote:
Also, for mulitple male voices in a capella latin music: Thomas Tallis' Lamentations of Jeremiah - 5 part male harmony, so also doesn't focus on the bass/baritone, but does have a lot of sadness and grief in the music.
Here we go. This is perfect. Especially movement three ("De lamentatione" according to the video info, 3:22). Thanks for suggesting this; exactly what I was looking for.

Unsure if this is the proper place to post this but it seemed best suited. I'm trying to get a RL game together where I'm the DM and I need something for my table top. After some research I've found that vinyl grid mats sound to be the best but are a little expensive for me at this time. Can anyone suggest a site or store in Ontario, Canada or at least ships to Ontario, Canada vinyl grid mats for a good price, or another form of table top grid system, map, or mat?