Every Dream Shall Die, Re-Recruiting (Exalted, First Age)

Old Nov 29 '09, 8:11am
Great Wyrm

Every Dream Shall Die, Re-Recruiting (Exalted, First Age)

Exalted Every Dream Shall Die - Forum
Exalted
Ad Closes: Nov 29 '09
Estimated Members Requested: 4

The sun never sets on the Blessed Isle, and most certainly not on the White City of Meru. For it is here, at the centre of Creation, where the Solars hold their court, and govern all things mortal, as befits the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun.

It is over three and a half millennia since the Primordials fell. In that time, the race of man has flourished, under the wise and fair leadership of the Solar Exalted. The Dragon Blooded Host keeps good order throughout the lands of Creation, even as their masters work tirelessly to make the land greater. Many, many wonders have been made by these Lords of Creation, from the great Pleasure Dome of Xela Cas, to the four mighty Titan fortresses... the Exalted have even created new races to serve them, such as the Minikins, the People of the Sky and the albinos of Xela Cas.

They have even woven something new across Creation. A grand, sentient automata, charged with the education and care of all mortal life. It is known as I AM, and is accessible to all mortals, no matter who they are, or where they may be.

It is a grand and glorious time. All agree on that.

But things are not so simple. They haven't been ever since the War ended. Many Solars, perticularly the older ones, care little for the common man now. They are mortals at their core, but some factor tends to drive them away from those they once called their kin, into the majestic ivory towers of their magnificent host. And sometimes, those towers hold dark secrets. People know not to ask what. Such thoughts are for the Solars. But there is a reason the Solars made accord with the powers of Heaven to ensure that every soul who dies in service of the Deliberative recieves a more favourable re-incarnation

With that in mind, dying for the Solars becomes an eternal honour. And the Solars are thus always permitted to use mortal life more or less as they wish, with this moral justification.

It was not the accord's intention, and in theory, there are laws against some of the activities rumored to take place in the private of some Solars' Manses, but the Deliberative is always fractious, in perpetual, if mild, danger of falling apart. Even the oldest Solar knows better than to ask their peers just what they do behind closed doors.

To be fair, such things tend not to affect the mortal populous of Creation too much, and by no means all of the Solar Host indulge in such activities. But still, there are questions that arise in the minds of some savants. The Sidereals must study the Loom of Fate with ever-increasing care, for the Solars work many wonders that sometimes run the grand artifact harsh... but their advice is not always headed. Even their Lunars can not always sway their masters views and minds. The Solars will advance, and will make things glorious, come what may.

That drive can and does hurt people, even kill them. It can be terrible indeed to behold a Solar's Glory. As those affected by the recent Operation Wyldhand can attest to all too well. It isn't always easy for the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun to remember the little people, when their minds tend to focus on such massive concepts as they do. The Solars were created to fight the masters of Creation, and no task since has truly tested their mettle.

Still, things are not as bad as they have been. This is, undoubtedly, a time of peace and prosperity. The Primordial War is long over, as is the Thousand Struggles Era, that black time when the Deliberative was broken by civil war. This is an Era of Unity, an Era of Dreams, and has been for over three hundred years now. And whilst the Solars always squabble amongst themselves for power... well, that is their lot, isn't it? They are figures of perfection, chosen by the master of the gods as his own. They have so much responsibility... is it any wonder that sometimes, they argue? That things get somewhat heated amongst them as a body? They still rule Creation, the Unconquered Sun has not revoked their mandate to do so in his stead. No great cities have fallen, there has been no serious problem with the Fair Folk, the Yozi, or even those black things below, in the depths known as the Underworld.

It is the Age of Splendour, the Age of Dreams, the Age of Man. The First Age, as it will later be known. What will you do to shape Creation, in this, the time future generations will look back on with wonder?

Greetings. I, Moral Wiz, have decided to get off my ass, and re-start this wonderful Exalted game. Admittedly, we've had some bad luck with players, like most running games, but they all RPd well whilst they were around, and we've still got one! With luck, before too long, we'll have some more.

The game is an Exalted game, set in the First Age, during the Era of Dreams, the final Era of this time. The Solar Deliberative is at the height of it's glory; but with that, comes a host of unsavoury truths. This world is still magnificent, still grand, and still befits the Solars...

It just is... well, hard to define. In fact, defining what is wrong with this time is one of the questions I expect some characters to consider. Let us simply say for now that things will not be as simple as Utopia or Dystopia. Things are more complex than that, always.

The focus of the game will be on the Characters experience of this time. How involved in wider events they are is very much going to be up to them. Sidereals, for instance, could be involved in the events that lead up to Kejak calling the Great Prophecy, and would, of course, be summoned to attend, given time. People will get to meet canon NPCs from the First Age, and will get to see a little of what made them what they are, and what they become, in time.

Perhaps, if people stay around for long enough, we might even get to the Usurpation... It didn't happen immedietly after the Prophecy, however, and thus, it will be hard to tell when it starts... until it does so, of course.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves First, I need you guys to whistle me up some characters.

Information

1; If you want to play a Celestial Exalt, tell me so, and create a Heroic Mortal. You are not obliged to spend your bonus points yet, or background points, although if you wish to, both are possible. Whilst it might seem attractive to blow your bonus points straight off, the staff would like to remind you that mortals don't receive the same background or stats options as Exalts. But, then again, if you don't survive as a mortal...

I have been considering if Exaltation will result in me docking bonus points, to keep Celestials in line with other Exalted, and am still deliberating over the issue. But to return to the matter in hand. Whilst you may not directly choose what Fate has in store for you, you may freely recommend your character for a particular type of Exaltation (or, if you wish, to remain Mortal for a while. ) I will run you through a prologue, and then Exalt you in game. I also will choose the nature of what Exaltation you receive, based on a variety of factors.

2;
Don't worry about other players. This won't be a single coherent party, the actions of others will afect you, but you don't have to design your PCs to fit into any sort of group

3; Terrestrials and Jadeborn are absolutely viable PCs, slightly lower power, but very interesting perspectives. Dragon Kings... you'll have to sell it to me. And that means, 'you'll have to sell poor old Moral on reading the infomation on the species' as well as selling me on their character. Same with Fae....

Scroll of Heroes material could be available, but keep in mind, I will make flaws count for something

3.1; Specifics on why I want people to make a case for the Dragon Kings. Whilst they are more important to the setting, and I know more about them, the same principle holds true for Fae.

Quote:
I've simply never seen the point of the Dragon Kings. Exalted is a massive setting, with many interesting nooks and crannies, but they just seemed... extra. Something not really relevant, that can be pushed to the back of the mind. Thus, I know less about them than any other potential PC type

Now, don't get me wrong. I have Scroll of Fallen Races, and I'm prepared to read up on the Dragon Kings. But that means commitment on my part, and I'd like a player interested in a Dragon King to make a case for it before hand. What the character would add to the game, how they'd interact with the world, ect...
4; Dreams of the First Age, whilst it would be useful, is not required. I can give you what changes there are in character creation rules on a case by case basis. If you want info on the current state of any perticular location, just say.

5; RP and background are absolutely required, and are my primary factor in selecting applications.

6; Feel free to ask questions

7; Mutations are fair game for all characters to take. These don't have to be Wyld Mutations, they can use Exalted technology, but use the same char gen rules as regular mutations (Mutations, IIRC, can be found in MoEP Lunars, CoCD II, the Wyld, MoEP, Infernals, and Scroll of Heroes).

However, these mutations require powerful Solar technology, which requires money for mortals to access. Strictly sppeking, I'm not going to make you pay for them, but I will expect some sort of justification if you go that route.

Game Description:

An Age of Power, Splendour, Majesty...

An Age of Magic...

It is the First Age. The Solar Deliberative rules all Creation, under the mandate of the Unconquered Sun; greatest of the gods. They have brought magic with their rule, creating a golden age, ruled, of course, by the golden Princes of the Earth, the all-great and powerful Solar Exalted. Blessed in His sight, these Chosen of the Sun have powers that put them far beyond mortal man, powers that give them the right to rule, both over mortals, and over such chosen of the gods.

Yet still, things are not, in the end, as they truly should be. Something has gone wrong. Yet, not one Deliberator can see it. Even the eyes of Yu Shan are blind to what is happening below

Mostly.

Last edited by Moral Wiz; Nov 29 '09 at 10:31pm..
Oh, and as a note, once people express interest, I'm going to give you a private thread in the forum for more specific character working. General questions about the world can still be asked here, and if a FAQ style question comes up on a private thread, I'll copy it to here.

And the first is already up A note on mutations

And hmm... It's a bit more specific, but here's a note on my precise reasoning for players interested in a Dragon King

Quote:
I've simply never seen the point of the Dragon Kings. Exalted is a massive setting, with many interesting nooks and crannies, but they just seemed... extra. Something not really relevant, that can be pushed to the back of the mind. Thus, I know less about them than any other potential PC type

Now, don't get me wrong. I have Scroll of Fallen Races, and I'm prepared to read up on the Dragon Kings. But that means commitment on my part, and I'd like a player interested in a Dragon King to make a case for it before hand. What the character would add to the game, how they'd interact with the world, ect...

Hmmmm....
A Gunzosha sounds like it'd be fun to play.
2 questions:
1. Would I have to buy things like aegis implant amulets and the longevity pox if it's part of the character/Gunzosha?
2. Would you consider homebrew MA's?

1; Hmm.... Don't Gunzosha get the opposite of Longevity? That said, yes. If you Celestial Exalt, anything rendered worthless will result in bonus XP, and if you're interested, there's a few ways to work round paying too many background points for artifacts, but beyond those...

2;... I'll consider them, but Reluctantly. I've given you a pretty broad source-base as things stand. I'll look at them, but don't be surprised if I say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
1; Hmm.... Don't Gunzosha get the opposite of Longevity? That said, yes. If you Celestial Exalt, anything rendered worthless will result in bonus XP, and if you're interested, there's a few ways to work round paying too many background points for artifacts, but beyond those...

2;... I'll consider them, but Reluctantly. I've given you a pretty broad source-base as things stand. I'll look at them, but don't be surprised if I say no.
1. Aegis implant amulets don't have any cost associated with mortals, because the fluff implications. However it is heavily implied that Gonzosha get Longevity and various age retarding treatments (though they still don't live very long).
My question is would I have to pay for these things, seeing as how they come with the job?
If my suit of Gonzosha armor costs 4 artifact, but I don't actually own it and I can't requisition any other items, is it part of arsenal, an artifact, or can I just use it at no cost asides from backstory?
I say this not because I want free armor, but because my character concept doesn't use armor at all, making it somewhat pointless to buy a horrendously expensive suit on my own merit.

2. Completely fair. How do you feel about Glorious Dust Dancer Style from Perfect Lotus?

This sounds interesting My tabletop group is playing Exalted right now and I've found myself enjoying it immensely. But my first love when it comes to rping is writing and I've been on the lookout for a tasty Exalted PbP. I have DotFA and have read enough of it to be quite interested in that 'spin' on the setting.

A few questions:

1. Based on your point #5 above and some skimming I've done so far of past game threads, I think I have a good picture of this already, but: is the emphasis more on writing/character development than dice rolling and such? (The former being what I'm hoping for I yearn for some longer posts in my games.)

2. What is the expected posting frequency?

3. Would you be averse to a younger character, say in the 12-14 year range? I'm far from decided, but I've kicked around the idea in the past and it would work better in Exalted than many other systems.

4. Not actually a question, but I just wanted to reiterate I'm pretty new to Exalted and still learning the mechanics.

1; Definitely a focus on writing. I'll let the players twist the rules if they can write well enough

2; As often as possible. I'll work this out on a case by case... but PbP tends to attract a wide variety of people, all with different frequencies of access.

3; Hmm... Not adverse... but I'd be curious as to what you'd go with.

4; More than fair enough. This is my first ever time GMing Exalted, and it's not gone too badly. We'll learn together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
3; Hmm... Not adverse... but I'd be curious as to what you'd go with.
The idea definitely needs fleshing out, as I hadn't given much time to it yet with no prospect for a game. I will do some reading and see what I come up with. Could be a different idea entirely!

But as to the above concept, I suppose you could lay it at the feet of several things. A part of my game group gets together regularly to watch various anime and we've recently had a run of them with several characters that are a mix of innocent/wise/mysterious children/teen types and it got the idea engine steaming. Also, I was interested in the concept in the comic near the beginning of Lords of Creation when I first saw it - a recently Exalted Solar being taken to Meru by their bonded Lunar, the former quite young, the Lunar having been around a while. And I actually sat down and read through the IC Guidebook to Meru at one point as well, which further fueled the musing on thrusting someone young-yet-Exalted into the madness of the late First Age. It'd be an interesting perspective to play.

The idea would be for a
Solar or Lunar really. I'm playing a Solar, so am most familiar with them. I have the Lunar book and have been reading through it for purposes of another character. But I don't have the Sidereal book.
Celestial Exalt to get reincarnation factored into the mix. Not a sorcerer and/or crafting type, as that's what I'm playing in the tabletop game. Other than that, I have a few other notions floating around for it, but unfortunately I need to get some sleep now So I will write them up when I have a chance.

Regardless of character concept, what sort of info would you like for the app? Background and a full sheet (for a Heroic Mortal of course)?

Indeed. Above that, infomation will be requested as needed, to make sure I know the characters as well as I'd like.

Hey Wiz, its lostlittlebear here from GITP! I figured since you wanted to run the game here, it'd be easier to handle communications on this site too.