Notices

The Arena! (PvP)

Old Dec 27 '09, 7:48pm
Proud player of D&D PBP chess

The Arena! (PvP)

The Arena - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e
Estimated Members Requested: 1

The towers rise high above the field, the screaming crowds...scream. Inside the sound of fire, clash of swords, and scream of the wounded echo forth. Welcome...to the Arena.

This is something I've wanted to do for awhile now. I'm going to be "running" (in the loosest sense of the word) a massive PVP arena. Basically, the more people we have, the better.

Also, since I'm going to be competing as well as "DMing" (see the note about DMing), I'd appreciate if another player or two (depending on the scope of this) would step up and help.

So let's start:

Character creation will be 32 point buy, starting at ECL5. All base (read unmagic, unmasterwork, etc) weapons and armor will be free. Characters will also receive stuff required for their class for free (Wizard's spellbooks, etc). Magic arms and armor will be taken care of further into the tournament (I'm thinking some sort of "arena point" currency). Application process will be a character sheet & build progression in the respective thread in the forum. Please place everything within private text. Min-max, go. After the PHB1, DMG1, and MM1, you are allowed to have four sources.

EDIT: Applications: Character sheet, build progression.
Things previously posted in this thread are subject to change. For up-to-date rulings, rules, and other information consult this thread.

Multiple applications will be allowed, but you can only use one for a "season"'s play. This is also a chance to test new builds if you feel so inclined.

I understand that some classes will be at a slight disadvantage, so we'll try to balance. (Dread Necromancer, Fighter, and such).

DMing Note: DMing for this game is minimal. Basically we'll manage the bracketing, help with teams (once we get to that stage), approve character builds, and build arena maps. Other than that, it's pretty much player run (we'll verify things that are done right, but really, the DM's part is usually RP, dungeon, and NPC planning; and there's not much of that) and we'll be part of the players.

Game Description:

A fight to the death!

Last edited by Venia; Dec 30 '09 at 1:17am..
The question may seem irrelevant, but how many people are watching the fighting?

Sources? Not really. If you use an obscure sources, that me and my co-DM's don't have, we may ask you to quote it, but other than that, feel free.

As for houserules, off the bat, not yet (except a fighter fix, I'll keep the main advert updated with all those). We may tweak things here and there to make it work, but no major houserules yet.

People watching? RP-wise, it's a public event, similiar to gladiators, so several thousand. (though I'm not expecting an extrodinary amount of RP, anything you do is your choice).
As for other players watching, I havn't decide how I'm going to do this. I've been thinking about doing private threads with each fight, then when the fight is over, placing them in a public forum where everyone can view.

Got it. I'll have a mighty warrior ready for battle soon. Also, when you say "All sources", does that include Dragon Magazine?

Hm, yes. Very interesting. xD

I'd love to get in on this. Are we sending you the character ideas and all that privately? o___o

lol

All WoTC sources are eligible, including the Dragon magazine. Just quote the magazine number. Speaking of it, I need to see if I still have that DM archive book thingy.

Nah, look in the game forum here.

Just put it in private text. I'm basically trying to keep some element of surprise in the duels, so you won't know exactly /what/ you're up against, just vague basics.

Also, I changed the application stuff slightly.

I'm back, and I have a character all ready and planed out thirty levels in advance.

Question: Is homebrew allowed? I'll PM you the link.

Depends on the homebrew and what it's design to do and how powerful. But yeah, PM me and I'll take a look at it. I will tell you up front, that I'll be posting link to homebrewed classes up front so everyone will know what it does, if not neccessarily who uses it.