Re-recruitment for Inauspicious Beginnings

Old Jan 14 '10, 5:23pm
Great Wyrm

Re-recruitment for Inauspicious Beginnings

Inauspicious Beginnings - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e - Forgotten Realms 3.5e
Ad Closes: Jan 31 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 2

Inauspicious Beginnings has been running for nearly 10 months now (minus a two-month hiatus over the summer while I was out of the country). It's been a lot of fun both for me and, I gather, for the players. However, the 7 players we started with is now down to 4, so I'd like to add a new character or two into the mix.

Here is the original recruitment thread. Most of what I wrote there still goes, except as noted below.

The party is currently within Cormanthor following a lead, and that's where your character will meet them. Although it's up to you what you put in your application, a story about why your character is in the great forest would be a nice addition. Successful applicants from the first round tended to include "snippets" from their character's past, which helped me get a better sense of their personality and of the player's writing and roleplaying strengths.

Your character will start at ECL 5 plus 1,000 XP. Starting funds is 5,000 gp, spent however you wish.

I will be accepting one player, two if exceptional interest and talent is shown. Ultimately, your character application should go in this folder: start a new thread titled with your character's name, and post your application (including all rolls) in that thread. Everything else, particularly questions that everyone might want the answers to, should be posted right here, in the ad thread.

Our current compliment of players and characters is as follows:

freefallin1309: playing Soloriss (an elven ranger with mean archery skills)
Leonidas1789: playing Graian (a half-elven priest of Tymora, party medic and sometime strong-arm)
TobyGon: playing Barradon (a dwarven rogue-type often shafted with the frontliner role)
Viletta Vadim: playing Cathrine (a "halfling" "mage" with a sharp tongue and a propensity to flood the battlefield with felines)

They're welcome to introduce themselves if they wish, and I'll certainly be asking for their input throughout this process. Good luck and I look forward to reading your applications!

Game Description:

Faerūn, the Dalelands. Times are never simply good or bad in this tumultuous region, but always a mixture of the two. Fortunes vary wildly from Dale to Dale, and from year to year. In this, the Year of Wild Magic, 1372 Dalereckoning, times are not good in the Eastern Dales. The cooler winds of the Fading have brought not calmness but savagery: goblin tribes and worse openly raid the smaller settlements, bandits attack without fear of retribution, and even the animals of the countryside and forests have seemed more vicious in recent days.

There can be little doubt that a malicious intent lies behind the string of recent attacks that have been plaguing the simple folk of the Eastern Dalelands for the past three tendays. The motives for the attacks remain unknown (despite vigourous speculation), but it is beyond doubt at this point that there is a purpose to this madness. This is no mere coincidence.

Last edited by Vashunyata; Jan 17 '10 at 1:45am..
Interested. What sources are allowed? Part of me would like to play a Bard, but I'm also interested in finally using my Savage Species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashunyata
Sourcebooks. In theory, I'll allow pretty much anything that comes from a reputable source. In practice, you should keep a couple of general guidelines in mind. To put it bluntly, the weirder your build is the less likely you are to be accepted into the game. Not because I don't like crazy builds, but because your backstory just has to be that much more convincing for me to be happy with your character and their place in the story. If you think your choices are a bit on the esoteric side, it doesn't hurt to ask. Basically, I want you to stick close to core unless you really, really have your heart set on something wild.
That's from the original ad. Most of the information there is still good; I only posted relevant changes and new information above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanpaul View Post
Interested. What sources are allowed? Part of me would like to play a Bard, but I'm also interested in finally using my Savage Species.
Hm... that could be interesting, and could probably be drawn back into the story proper; we just got finished beating (barely) some gnolls.

Sounds very interesting. Would there be room for a paladin of St. Cuthbert? I am thinking of making a human witch hunter of some sort. Who is 30 years old and scarred from war. Looking to rid the world of evil and bring retribution to fallen cities and basicaly judge those who is evil and what not.
-Shane

interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Sounds very interesting. Would there be room for a paladin of St. Cuthbert? I am thinking of making a human witch hunter of some sort. Who is 30 years old and scarred from war. Looking to rid the world of evil and bring retribution to fallen cities and basicaly judge those who is evil and what not.
-Shane
That's certainly a possibility! Feel free to flesh out your concept more and I'll be able to provide some more feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashunyata View Post
That's certainly a possibility! Feel free to flesh out your concept more and I'll be able to provide some more feedback.
Er... wouldn't a Paladin of St. Cuthbert be kinda out of place for a lack of St. Cuthbert in FR?