Dark Heresy: The Ataraxis Sector

Old Feb 25 '10, 6:41am
Prof. of Badassitude

Dark Heresy: The Ataraxis Sector

Dark Heresy: the Ataraxis Sector - Forum
Dark Heresy
Ad Closes: Mar 13 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 4

IntroIt is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power form the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battle fleets cross the Daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the Tech-Priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name but a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants—and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billons. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of the thirsting gods.

SettingIt is the year 999.M41. Abaddon’s 13th Black Crusade has just begun, leaving destruction in its wake as forces of the Ruinous Powers spew forth from the Eye of Terror, threatening to bring down all that the Emperor and mankind have worked to build.

The Ataraxis Sector falls in the center of Segmentum Obscurus, close enough to the Eye of Terror to feel the impact of the great war. More so than most, this sector is very much on the brink of annihilation at the hands of the Imperium’s countless enemies from within and without. The sector capital of Ballator lies in ruin at the hands of bloodthirsty Orks, many other worlds have fallen to subtle Chaos influences or outright invasion by roving heretic fleets, and a massive swath of space has been quarantined by the Inquisition. Infighting and politics boils up from below, threatening to splinter this already periled sector.

Yet, the human race is nothing if not a race of hope and heroes. A single man with faith can triumph over a legion of the faithless, and that one man can start a landslide with the casting of a single pebble. In this most desperate hour, at the turning of the millennia, the Ataraxis Sector needs saints, heroes, and martyrs like never before.

You are members of the shadowy, monolithic organization known as the Inquisition. Your job is to protect humanity from the terrors of the alien, the heretic, the demon, and the witch. You start out as mere acolytes, the bottom of the Inquisitorial food chain. You must prove your worth to your often-aloof Inquisitor, Kristof Knighton of the Ordo Hereticus.

Your master has answered the call of Governor Alduous Ryan, arriving on the planet of Algidus Prime with his entire staff and many of his agents and disciples. The once prosperous hive world is in dire straights - Murder Cults devoted to the dark powers run roughshod over the underhive, and the nobles in the spire are too concerned with their own petty feuds to notice the world rotting beneath their feet. Only the Inquisition, with skill, might, and, most importantly, unshakable faith in the Emperor of Mankind, can turn back the tides of darkness.

OOC:

I will be accepting a total of 4-5 players for this campaign. For stats, roll
Drop one set, obviously
10m2d10 and arrange them however you like on your stat sheet. For the rest of character creation, follow the rules detailed in the core book. Any of the career paths and home world types from the rulebooks will be allowed (anything else is at my discretion).

Applications require the following:
Name:
Career Path:
Appearance:
Personality:
History: (You do NOT have to pick from the planets I listed above - you can make up your own. )

Optional parts include a character sheet and a picture, but I won't be using either of these for consideration. It's much more important for you to have a strong description than a strong sheet. Applications are open through the 12th of March!

Acceptable Sourcebooks: Core, Inquisitor's Handbook, Disciples of the Dark Gods, Radical's Handbook

Please put all character applications HERE. Applications that are posted elsewhere will not be considered. Do all your dice rolling HERE, as Myth Weavers does not allow dice to be rolled in game ads.

As far as activity goes, I'm expecting my players to post several times a week to keep the game's momentum going; if we can post every day, that'd be fantastic, but I'm more concerned with quality than quantity.

There will be an even balance of character and story driven plot. Expect a lot of suspense, horror, action, mystery, and drama, with plenty of comedy thrown in to boot. Who knows, there might even be romance!

For those that opt to create a full character sheet, here's a template you can use:

If you have any questions, comments, or death threats, feel free to post them in this topic and I'll answer them as quickly as I can.

Game Description:

It is the year 999.M41. Abaddon’s 13th Black Crusade has just begun, leaving destruction in its wake as forces of the Ruinous Powers spew forth from the Eye of Terror, threatening to bring down all that the Emperor and mankind have worked to build.

The Ataraxis Sector falls in the center of Segmentum Obscurus, close enough to the Eye of Terror to feel the impact of the great war. More so than most, this sector is very much on the brink of annihilation at the hands of the Imperium’s countless enemies from within and without. The sector capital of Ballator lies in ruin at the hands of bloodthirsty Orks, many other worlds have fallen to subtle Chaos influences or outright invasion by roving heretic fleets, and a massive swath of space has been quarantined by the Inquisition. Infighting and politics boils up from below, threatening to splinter this already periled sector.

Yet, the human race is nothing if not a race of hope and heroes. A single man with faith can triumph over a legion of the faithless, and that one man can start a landslide with the casting of a single pebble. In this most desperate hour, at the turning of the millennia, the Ataraxis Sector needs saints, heroes, and martyrs like never before.

Last edited by Hammered_for_Life; Mar 8 '10 at 6:41am..
I remember this Sector! If memory serves, I got pushed out of a Valkyrie a mile up while fighting Orks. I really wish I had saved that character sheet, it had a really well written background.

Alas, I am already involved in two other DH games and an RT one, but what the hell, I might as well go for broke.

Dark Heresy, good background, good GM, and good rolls... You can expect a submission from me for this one!

I really shouldn't...But what the hell. I probably won't be accepted for all the games I've applied to anyway. Posting interest.

Posting interest, will allow characters from RT? Or is it solely DH?

It's Rank One DH (As I understand it, no one having said anything to the contrary). RT characters are significantly more powerful than that....

Yeah. Rank 1 DH characters start with 400xp. Rank 1 RT character get 5000xp to start with.

Also, do we have to roll homeworld/career or can we pick?

Oh, I see, I'm pretty new to RT, I thought they were equal with DH just with a different setting.

*shakes heads* They can be, but only with high level DH characters alongside newbie Trader guys. RT's PCs are exceptional people, whilst DH's merry band start off as canon fodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
*shakes heads* They can be, but only with high level DH characters alongside newbie Trader guys. RT's PCs are exceptional people, whilst DH's merry band start off as canon fodder.
I'd consider us more... cannon fodder for the cannon fodder.

Regardless, I will most likely put forth an application here. However, I was planning on jump-starting a game of my own so I'd have to read up more on this fluff before I make up my mind.

Quick question, would you be open to accepting an Astartes neophyte from the Tyranus Conclave rules listed on Dark Reign? An Astartes player-character may sound like a pain for the GM, but they have tips and tricks on how to incorporate an Astartes into a game and make it work. The most recommended is to have the Astartes start with only 200xp, as they have to start with higher stats in order to become Astartes in the first place.

So, God-Emperor willing that I roll high enough, would that be acceptable? On a side-note, I'd most likely by playing a Blood Angel.