Old Feb 27 '10, 10:16am
Great Wyrm

Iron Heros - Clacier Keep

Clacier Keep - Forum
Iron Heroes
Estimated Members Requested: 5

Game Description:

Premise

In the West a prophet has come. Isightar was an unremarkable man. A farmer with a young family. He belonged to the church of the chosen but was not particularly pious. Then one day he just left without so much as saying goodbye to his wife and child. He wondered alone into the Bloodwood for many moons and the people of Chosen Bay presumed him dead.

But he returned, enlightened.

And in the East goblins are coming out of the mountains. Goblins have always raided the farms that border the Icewood mountains but now raids are a daily occurrence. The farming communities to the East have sent out a call for help.

The game starts in a small farming community called Ramshorn not far from the Eastern mountains which I have called Icewood, for want of a better name. Your character can either hail from this area or another. The adventure is adapted from a written module. It's likely to have about five or six encounters and take you up to 3rd level. If people are still enthusiastic I'll continue into a more detailed home brewed campaign.

The World

This will indeed be set in the Swordlands but, more specifically, The Bloodwood setting published by Fiery Dragon. It can be down loaded free from here. The setting is small and simple with a pioneer feel, please read it.

Character Creation

Please make your character believable for the setting and fleshed out in personality. There is a whole chapter on character development in the Iron Heroes book. Use it! Backgrounds about how you became the best shot in the village bore me to death though. I would prefer to see a RP sample, perhaps describing what your character does best or, maybe, worst. I would like to know what drives him, what he's afraid of, what makes him angry, what makes him happy. Is he generous? Rude? Where do his loyalties lie? How does he earn a living?

If `adventuring' is the answer to that last question, I doubt you'll be playing in this game.

Note what you come up with in your application is not the finished product. The character needs to be flexible and have the potential to develop. He might be a noble with disdain for peasants but, after living among them for a while, his views could change. Everything that happens in the game is a chance for your character to develop and you need to portray that with your writing. Just because you described your character in the application six months ago does not mean your fellow players remember he had a squint or a lazy eye, you have to keep reminding them.

You should also take into consideration that negative things might happen to your character. He might not be able to pull back his bow string because his hands are shaking from cold. He might lose his grip on his sword or slip over in the blood of his enemy. I need you to be able to laugh at your character's misfortunes not feel that I'm picking on you or trying to spoil your enjoyment of the game.

Only material in the Revised Iron Heroes and the Player's Companions books is available. This is not a game where I want to see you try out the latest build in the most recent WotC money spinner.

No part of the character creation process is decided by dice. All characters are Human.

Characters start at level 1. Abilities are decided via the

You start with a core of 10 in all six ability scores. You have a pool of additional points that you may spend to improve your scores. Each point you spend increases a single ability by 1 point until that score reaches 15. For each point above 15, it costs 2 points to improve an ability. For each point above 17, it costs 4 points to improve an ability by 1. You get 24 points to spend
method detailed in the Iron Heroes rules. HPs are maximum at first level. Starting gold is 150gp. Each character gains two traits. There is no such thing as alignment.

Last edited by tacet pressim; Feb 27 '10 at 10:19am..
I probably shouldn't, as I've got 2 games starting on Monday that should (in theory) go the distance, but what the heck...

I had the chance to play an IH game on MW a few weeks back, stepped out, and have regretted it since. It's a game I have had for a while, but apart from a brief guest slot in an ongoing campaign, never had the chance to play for any length of time.

I like your forthright set-up. No b*llshit, everybody knows where they stand. I also like your thoughts on PCs, and wholeheartedly subscribe to the design philosophy. This the character for one of the games I am about to start:

http://paizo.com/people/EarnestCarbrook

I do have the adventure in question, but haven't had anything more than a cursory scan through it. If prior knowledge is a complete no-no then I withdraw gracefully. If accepted, I will endeavour not to use any OOC knowledge if I recognise something.

Being first to reply, I will also be first to risk the ire of the all-powerful GM: is the IH Player's Companion also an acceptable source of material for character creation?

Well I like Iron Heroes and have the book and even have a character ready from a game that didnt happen that I would like to play. However I am a little put off by some of the demands. I am willing to try and comply but writing entirely in 3rd person past is a little hard when you have no idea if your action is going to succeed.

'Caessa sneaked over to the door, flung it open and dashed through, hurling herself to the floor and rolling behind an upturned wooden table' is only possible if you know that she will make it to the door, be able to open it and that there is indeed an upturned table. Otherwise your only option really is 'Caessa will attempt to open the door and enter quickly finding what cover she can' unless you have a better idea.

I appreciate that some consider RPG's on mythweavers to be more an exercise in storytelling and writing style than playing a game and I do respect that and consider that I am able to write reasonably well, but it is nonethless a game and one should not get too uptight about style as long as people make an effort.

This is the sheet - non house rule modified for perception yet. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=102360

I will write a background once I have read the material, but I aleady know what kind of personality she has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore
'Caessa sneaked over to the door, flung it open and dashed through, hurling herself to the floor and rolling behind an upturned wooden table' is only possible if you know that she will make it to the door, be able to open it and that there is indeed an upturned table. Otherwise your only option really is 'Caessa will attempt to open the door and enter quickly finding what cover she can' unless you have a better idea.
ExampleCrouched low, Caessa crept towards the door. She could feel her heart beating in her chest. The percussion preluding the battle to come. Once the fighting started her instincts would take over but now it was all she could do to keep her hands from shaking. She reached the door and glanced back towards her companions. There was Helk, grinning as usual, Mosely looking as frightened as she felt and Gort, watching their backs as calm as could be. She hoped they remembered the plan or this was going to be one helll of a short fight. She took a deep breath, here goes nothing, she thought, and flung open the door.

Note how I can only post as far as I can see. Caessa must now wait for the GM to post and, if she succeeded in taking whoever is in the room by surprise, gets a standard action in the surprise round to hide behind whatever cover the room might provide. Or perhaps the door is locked and Caessa just ends up rattling the door knob and making a noise. Perhaps it's trapped and she gets a crossbow bolt through the neck.

You might have included a stealth roll in a spoiler and, depending on the result, role-played her being angry with herself for making a noise or congratulating herself on being quiet. These are not things the other characters see or hear but the players will be able to read them and gain an understanding of who your character is.

If you just write `Caessa will attempt to open the door,' the reader has no idea about who Caessa is or what she's like. There is no contribution to the story and the readers, whether their your fellow players or the GM, are going to be disappointed they had to wait twelve hours for seven words and will soon grow bored of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grufflehead
I do have the adventure in question, but haven't had anything more than a cursory scan through it. If prior knowledge is a complete no-no then I withdraw gracefully. If accepted, I will endeavour not to use any OOC knowledge if I recognise something.
No worries. I imagine a lot of people who have the IH books probably also have the adventure. I have only used it as a guideline and have changed some of the important parts so that you won't gain any advantage from reading it, although I'd advise against refreshing your memory for the sake of your own enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by grufflehead
Being first to reply, I will also be first to risk the ire of the all-powerful GM: is the IH Player's Companion also an acceptable source of material for character creation?
I don't have this supplement, not for want of looking. If there are feats and or traits that are essential to your character, I have no problem as long as you make the mechanics available. I hesitate to accept the character classes though.

I purchased the Iron Heroes book some time ago and haven't had the chance to play in a game. That being said, it will take me a while to relearn the rules. If I have the time to do so to the point of feeling comfortable making a character and joining a game I'll certainly submit an application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacet pressim View Post
I don't have this supplement, not for want of looking. If there are feats and or traits that are essential to your character, I have no problem as long as you make the mechanics available. I hesitate to accept the character classes though.
Funnily enough, it's the only one I actually have a physical copy of (already had it on pdf, along with the core books, then saw it in a games shop last November).

I have the makings of an idea which might draw on some of the new material, but probably not the classes. It needs quite a bit of back and forward between us, so you'd need to be happy with the concept. I can PM you an outline if you like.

As far as the Companion material in general, I can only comment based on my reading and what I have seen on other boards/sites/games, but the Myrmidon and Dedicate seem to fill distinct niches, and appear to be balanced and have no more mechanical issues than any of the basic classes. I've seen several people write up Myrmidon submissions for games (including both the IH games that have started on MW this year) but not come across a Dedicate yet. Despite having the book I've never read up the Spiritualist as I never saw the point of playing an 'action fantasy' game and then going for a spellcaster, so I can't tell you anything about that one.

The new traits and feat chains add more options, particularly where it comes to filling out some of the masteries which were a bit light on choices first time round - 2 new Armour, Tactics, Lore and Social masteries as well as additions for the commoner feat chains like Power and Projectile. They certainly make classes like the Hunter more attractive (to me at least).

DriveThruRPG has it for 9 USD on pdf. If the game looks like more than just a one off and other people also want to use the material I suggest we all chip in a couple of $ and buy you a copy (as DriveThru lets you buy on behalf of someone else now).

By all means PM me the concept. To be honest the more I read, and I've been reading a lot lately, the more I think I'm going to buy it. $9 isn't very much and, although I'd rather have it as a hard copy, I'd rather have it than not.

I love IH! If you are still accepting apps (which I gather you are), I would LOVE to get in on this. It has been some time since I've read through the Bloodwood setting, so I will do that before I submit a character. I'd read through it again now, but it's really late and I have to get some sleep tonight

EDIT: Here's an executioner I created for a game on another site a while back....perhaps he can be adapted to the Bloodwood setting.

Skortraan of the Korstraag tribe
“Watch your enemy, my son, watch his step and his eye; watch his hands and his waist. Do not listen to his words for those words may carry within them lies and deception. Man is defined by his actions, not his words. Remember this lesson and you may well live another season.”
Rhymdaal the Scarred bidding his son farewell

Quote from a soldier that witnessed the events in northern Barrogaile: "Fastest blade I've seen, that's for sure. Smells like a dog though..."

Skortraan is a tall, lithe male with a toned physique and darkly tanned skin. His shoulder-length, black hair is usually worn back in a loose pony tail secured with a leather thong. A hawkish nose is perched above a thin-lipped, rarely smiling mouth, while dark and deep-set eyes rest to either side. Skortraan’s eyes are constantly scanning his environment, and rarely rest on one subject for longer than a few moments. He has sharp, angular features with high cheekbones and a clean-shaven chin, in the tradition of his people.

As is befitting one of his tribe, the Korstraag dresses in a patchwork of leather armor and interwoven red and black fabrics with primitive jewelry fashioned from tooth and claw dangling from his neck and arms. Skortraan often paints his face and other exposed skin with ruddy dyes made from wild berries and soot, giving the tribesman a somewhat feral appearance; a somewhat common misconception of the Korstraag tribe, for many have met their fates on the blade of a Korstraag after underestimating their opponents cunning and intelligence on the field of battle.

A few facts about the Korstraag Tribe of the Northern Ironcrags

Skortraan's Bio:

Nice character. Did you come up with the culture yourself? It could quite easily be adapted to work into the Bloodwood setting. I like the foreignness of the tribe. There is no reason that we cannot call the mountains to the North `The Ironcrag Mountains' and have a small community called the Korstraag tribe come from there. There would likely be a fair bit of racism and conflict in the reactions of the lowlanders towards Skortraan but I think the cultural misunderstandings could really add to the RP.

The communities of Lakeshore do not have a great military strength and there is no king so you would have to find another excuse for Skortraan to have left his home. Perhaps there is another reason he has joined the military and, being short of resources has been the only person sent to investigate the plea for help.