Fording the Dreiset [Gauss, Merlana, mzipser, MzNurse, The Bushranger]

 
Tobie said nothing about the change in course, trusting Astaban to keep them away from the dangerous spots and out of trouble. She kept on
listen:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2
d20 Results: 7 (Total = 9)
search:
Dice Roll:
1d20-1
d20 Results: 1 (Total = 0)
spot:
Dice Roll:
1d20+2
d20 Results: 5 (Total = 7)
alert because, sometimes, no matter how careful you were, trouble found you anyway.

The group works its way around to the river, meeting noone at all on the journey. It's eerie to pass all of the buildings knowing that either noone is inside, or the occupants are too frightened to come out about their normal business. The scent of woodsmoke lingers only faintly in the autumn air.

The town abuts the river, and several large water mills have been built on the west bank to harness the power of the Dreiset's flow to grind grain. There are no wagons full of wheat or corn lingering outside the buildings, however, despite the proximity of harvest time. The wheels spin idly, making a music of creaks and splashes that is loud amid the war-torn quiet of Broadvale.

As for the water itself, it seems to be only a few feet deep near the bank but deepens considerably towards the center of the hundred-yard-wide expanse. To the south near the horizon, near a gradual bend in the snakelike river, Layna spots a few sandbars that might be shallows.

Water would want to flow in a straight line, but the lay of the land usually dictated otherwise. There were usually shallows where the rivers bent back on themselves, where silt, sand, and other debris got caught up in the sudden change of course. Trouble for boats, but good fortune for their group. The next to last thing Layna wanted was to be wet and cold and not able to set a fire for fear of attracting the attention of the Astan army. The last thing she wanted was to hear Talia complaining about being wet and cold and deciding to light a fire anyway.

"Down there, where the river bends," Layna says pointing towards the south. "See those still spots in the middle of the river? Those looks to be shallower spots, maybe some sand bars. We should try and cross there."

Karn looks and says, "Looks like a river to me. But you know more about this stuff than I do, Layna."

He reaches back and grabs his jug and takes a long pull, "Just in case."

Then he gives the cork and extra hit to make sure it is seated good and tight and puts the jug back.

"Let's give it a go.", he says.

Astaban nods, and gently prods his horse forward. As he leads the group across the river, he makes sure to travel across the shallower spots that Layna has pointed out.

Tobie held back and brought up the rear. She knew the dangers of rivers and river crossings, and respected the power of the water. She had pulled her rope out and had it ready in case anyone (Talia) was caught unawares and ended up in the river, something she'd learned to do from experience. Most loggers relied on the river to transport the limbless trees to the nearest mill.

She'd gotten a good horse in Logger--sure footed and steadfast--and that would make her crossing much easier. Other than Layna, however, and possibly Astaban, the others didn't seem to have much experience with horses and rivers, and Tobie suddenly wondered if any of them knew how to swim. She knew the basics, but had always relied on her older, stronger brothers to be there to rescue her. She gripped the rope a little tighter and prayed for a safe crossing.

After getting across the
I'm presuming that it is an uneventful passage
river, Astaban
spot:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 18 (Total = 24)
looks and
listen:
Dice Roll:
1d20+7
d20 Results: 16 (Total = 23)
listens for any sign of life outside of the party.

He then turns to Layna, and points in a direction heading away from town, and says, "That way?"

Talia

The last few miles on Night seem to be the most torturous to Talia as they near the city, so close to something she wants but everyone seems to scared to go in and get it. The river on the other hand was something she was hesitant to cross especially with the fact that they may not get to spend the night in an inn, She was already miserable from so many nights out on the cold ground, adding wet to it would just make it that much more of a nightmare.

Getting to the river Talia does look around at it not sure what to make of it she does think about how many times she has heard of people being lost to this one. Sure they loose a loved one, but crying about it in a bar does get on her nerves, she hatted it when people complain about how bad their lives are. The thought does cross her mind about how she can make someone's life worse but the sound of the old water wheel brings her back. The thing had been there for ages far as she can remember, still just turning away like nothing had changed when she first left the area.

Looking over to the River as they pass the mill she does pause, either the thought of cold and wet or just the fact that she had a funny feeling she does stop and head over to the mill. As she dismounts she she does hide her gestures behind night whispering to herself she draws on her powers focusing her sense as she starts a
Cast Detect secret doors on herself, radius 60 feet
different search. Talia starts searching around not sure if it will work but hopping some rumor are true, she ties off night and walks into the mill
Search check:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 12 (Total = 18)
searching for something she hopes is there.

Karn
spot:
Dice Roll:
1d20+9
d20 Results: 11 (Total = 20)
These dice were omitted, altered, or moved: 1d20+8
Original Dice: 1d20+8
looks around after they cross the river,taking another swallow from his jug.


Talia

Getting to the front of the structure Talia stops looking it over a bit of hesitation as she shivers about what else might live in the old mill but still she was curious, she had never had a chance to go in but now well no one was home so would care. She opens the door carefully trying not to get her hands too dirty as she enters the old building looking around as the gears turn monotonously from the river nearby.

Talia starts by heading for the lowest point in the mill, trying to avoid the cob webs and dust as best she can. She cringes a bit at sight of it but still
Search check:
Dice Roll:
1d20+6
d20 Results: 16 (Total = 22)
she will try and focus on finding any secret entrances, active spell: detect secret doors 60 foot radius
continues to look around the old structure not sure what she will find.




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Blog   Myth-Weavers Status