Starfarers: The Next Age Recruitment

Old May 5 '10, 4:12am
Wyrm

Starfarers: The Next Age Recruitment

Star Farers: The Next Age - Forum
Homebrew
Ad Closes: May 19 '10
Estimated Members Requested: 4

Captain Jorz Nilko stood at the edge of the viewing platform, a steaming cup of caff cupped in his hands. In front of him the stars winked and danced, and he smiled as he watched the endless depths of space run out before him. "It is a good day for traveling!" he announced to the crew around him.

"It is always a good day on board the
Starbright," his second in command joked.

"Aye so it is," Nilko agreed raising the cup to his lips. It had gotten no father than his lips when the ship's alarm began to scream. Three thousand kilometers away a ship popped into existence. Blue lightening danced and cracked around its hull as the smaller ship turned to close on the lumbering freighter.

"Its the Ulatarim!" his sensor tech screamed. The smaller craft began to open fire, emerald bolts of energy flashing past their target. Nilko lurched as at least one shot landed true, rattling the freighter and crew.

"Return fire!" he bellowed. Even freighters went armed in these parts, and a small hatch popped open on the freighter's side. Ruby red lights blinked as half a dozen warheads acquired their target and launched from their tubes in a burst of smoke and flame. The fighter tried to dodge, and even managed to evade a pair, but was caught directly between the rest as they closed within range of their proximity fuses. There was a burst of fire, and the fighter shattered as shrapnel tore it apart.

"Yes!" Nilko cheered. "We got 'em!" He turned back to watch the main screen, only for his jaw to fall slack. There in front of them was another flash of blue lightening. Then another, and another, and another...

Game Masters:
Foe9x9
Story and Mechanics

Rogue Dragon
Mechanics

Description
Starfarers is a unique, real time strategy game cross with roleplaying elements. Players get to control not just a lone individual, but the destiny of an entire fledgling race as they try to make their mark out amongst the stars. Whether it be as conquering hordes or tight fingered economists, all and any is a viable strategy. But be careful, because more than just your fellow players may be waiting for you...

Applications

Applications should be submitted here or to the appropriate thread in the game forum. Character creation rules can also be found within, and are not in the least difficult to understand while at the same time allowing for thousands of possibilities. The only limitation is that players CANNOT base their race on any race from a pre-established setting. Originality counts.

Game Description:

Space...the final frontier. Where no man has gone before. We have, however, had our fair share of evil robots, genocidal dog-warriors, intergalactic ghosts, and even a few giant space squid. The first age has passed, and not everyone has survived. By time marches on, and space cares not for the fate of her children. Who knows which grand Empire will rise next?

Game Masters:
Foe9x9
Story and Mechanics

Rogue Dragon
Mechanics

Last edited by Foe9x9; May 6 '10 at 12:27am..
I saw the original add, and was very interested. I'd like to re-use my application, if I may, because I really liked the race I built. Do the STs have any advice on things it would be useful to know ahead of time? (Application is in application thread)

Re-using applications is fine. We are, admittedly, trying to fine tune the game, so not everything is quite the same as the First Age.

I did reuse my application as well.

I remember the original ad for this game, but I never finished my application for it. Lol. Hopefully, I'll finish it this time!

This looks so interesting but I don't know if I have time to finish an app. I'll get working on it and if not then I'll just be a reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
I did reuse my application as well.
It's interesting that the name of your race has a Hawaiian name. Guessing you found it in a baby name book or something. It was the first thing I noticed on your app. Really easy to spot a Hawaiian name, maybe my race will have a Hawaiian name too. Although nothing that fancy, probably something that we say more often here. Well, I guess it isn't that fancy considering how long some Hawaiian names are.

And just a note, Lani doesn't mean ocean but does mean sky or heaven. Sorry, I'm Hawaiian and get very nit-picky when I see people using Hawaiian words and get the meaning wrong.

Hmm... If I find the inspiration, I might put up an application for this. Shouldn't be too hard as I've been playing to many RTS and Turn-based games in space.

Might get an inspiration from playing Galaxy Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Kitty View Post
It's interesting that the name of your race has a Hawaiian name. Guessing you found it in a baby name book or something. It was the first thing I noticed on your app. Really easy to spot a Hawaiian name, maybe my race will have a Hawaiian name too. Although nothing that fancy, probably something that we say more often here. Well, I guess it isn't that fancy considering how long some Hawaiian names are.

And just a note, Lani doesn't mean ocean but does mean sky or heaven. Sorry, I'm Hawaiian and get very nit-picky when I see people using Hawaiian words and get the meaning wrong.
That's exactly how I got it. And thanks for the info, sky/heaven is perfect

Yup. Inspirations and Reused apps are fine. Just as long as I don't recognize it from somewhere.

Example: A race of space bugs is fine. They can be a bunch of merciless eaters out to consume everything. Just so long as they aren't named the Zorgs or Turanids and their principle hive is named Corrigan or something equally blatant. Probably one of my failings as a DM. I absolutely loathe clones of popmedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys View Post
That's exactly how I got it. And thanks for the info, sky/heaven is perfect
No problem. If you ever need another Hawaiian word, you can just ask me instead of trusting the vast internet. While it sometimes provides correct info, most of the time it doesn't.