Notices


The Village of Hillsdale

 
 
Old May 11 '10, 4:56am
EpiclevelRic's Avatar
EpiclevelRic EpiclevelRic is offline
Elder Dragon
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 953
The Village of Hillsdale

The Village of Hillsdale - Forum
Freeform
Estimated Members Requested: 1

I am looking for a maximum of five players and will probably cap at four unless I get some truly outstanding concepts. Edit: I will be holding applications open until Next Wednesday.

Also because the setting information is going to be updated continuously the best thing to do is check this link every so often.

Here is the character template

CHARACTER TEMPLATE

Name
Race
Concept(Warriror, rouge, healer, etc.)
Weapon Skills(What weapons does your character know how to use well)
Other skills(What kind of things does your character know how to do? Feel free to choose quite a few but don't get silly)

Description

Personality

Background

Ambitions/Dreams

Game Description:

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y.../KYuripole.jpg
The village of Hillsdale was settled some twenty years ago by a group of retiring adventurers who had grown tired of risking their lives and wanted to settle down. In choosing to settle down each of the brave group dreamed of having families, and living out the rest of their years as peacefully as possible. At first the adventurers found anything but peace as they had to fight off several bands of monsters, ruin the plot of an insane power mad lich and of course, help a nearby dragon relocate. However after these adventures were concluded they embarked on the grandest adventure of all, raising children. While many times each of these brave and powerful adventurers felt that their strength had reached its limit, they somehow managed to help their children reach the age of adulthood (well teenagers anyway, close enough right?) and now look forward to the upcoming summer festival where they will bid their offspring a good journey as they release them upon the unsuspecting world....

The village of Hillsdale is a freeform rpg where the players will take on the role of the children of the adventurers. This game will focus heavily on character development, character to character interaction, character to NPC interaction, and of course some good deal of adventure as well. If you are into hack and slash games, this is NOT, and I repeat NOT the game for you. However, if you like taking part and helping develop a wonderful story, then this game is for you.

The Basic Rules:

You don't have to be the worlds greatest writer. All I am looking for is decent (not perfect) grammar and spelling and an ability to get your point across with the written word. This is a game, not a writing class but I do want to see some effort put into posting.

This is a freeform game and thus will not have many rules. However, I will absolutely not accept over powered character concepts. Remember your character is a teenager and while they may eventually grow to be very powerful, they do not start this way.

Because this is a freeform game you will occasionally help develop the world. Please be willing to give me suggestions on ideas you have. If I like them I may ask you to flesh them out a bit. For instance if you have an unusual magic ability that you think would be fun, let me know. The worst that will happen is I will simply say "not right now".

Keep in mind that this is a collaborative story effort. If you are the kind of player that likes to throw monkey wrenches into a game you probably won't last long.

You will be playing the part of a teenager who is from the village of Hillsdale or its surrounding area. It is a peaceful place that has not seen any real trouble in the last couple of decades. The main reason for this peace is the fact that the retired adventurers moved anything dangerous out of the area when they first arrived and since that time have managed to keep everything else pretty quiet. Try to keep this in mind whiling considering your character concept.

If you would like to be considered for acceptance please do the following:


Provide me with a character concept that gives me a detailed background of not only the character but some information about their parents. Please be willing to adjust the concept as needed in order to fit into the game. Please do not be afraid to ask me any questions either in the game invite thread or through PM. I want to make sure that everyone has a character they like while still remaining true to the feel of the story.

things you need to consider about character background.

Most likely you will be a human or another common fantasy race such as Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, etc. I am willing to consider unusual racial concepts but they will have to be well justified to make the cut. Please do not let this stop you from submitting a character but be warned I may ask for changes, but I could also incorporate your idea into the game world.

Please try and avoid overly crude concepts. While I don't see this happening I figure I should make a warning about it all the same.

Your character will be between the ages of 16-19. If you really want to play a younger character, approach me with the reason and concept. The same goes for a character who is older, however, I will be honest anything over 19 is most likely going to not work our for me.

Who am I?

I am the game master and I played on these boards forever ago but have been through a lot of email account changes sense then so had to start a new handle. I have a lot of experience running table top games as well as play by post and play by email. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.


Last edited by EpiclevelRic; May 12 '10 at 6:48pm..
Interested, will send PM about my concept in a few


Name Kale Heimdal
Race Human
ConceptRanger/scout ish
Weapon SkillsDagger some bow and arrow skills and knows the basics of swordplay
Other skills Trains rats. Likes climbing and swimming. Knows the area around Hillsdale very well as well as the local flora and fauna. He's got keen ears, an unfortunate liability at times...
Description Kale is a bright young boy, his skin is light brown and his hair is a deep dark black though his eyes are an odd green color, similar to his father's. Kale is slim and lean though well muscled, looking as though he was stretched to reach the height that he is. He tends to favor loose fitting clothing of earthy tones, which usually bears its fair share of cuts and scrapes. His hands and feet are heavily calloused and well worn. He tends to be quite jittery, his hands always moving.

Personality Kale is a hyperactive youth. If he is not moving he is not happy. As a result of this he has a bit of claustrophobia whenever he feels unable to move. Kale has a temper but at the same time is equally quick to smile and laugh. He also tends to be chronically curious of tales and legends of the outside, willing to stay still if for a moment to listen. Kale also tends to be a bit of a show off, displaying his physical gifts in bids to get attention, or perhaps to amuse himself.

Kale however is rather suspicious of adults. His parents fight quite frequently and he stays away from home to avoid it. To him gossip about it is just as bad and as a result views it with the same disdain. Kale tends to approach problems with a 'fight or flight' philosophy. If something cannot be overcome head on, then retreat is the next best option. Kale is very fond of his parents, just.. not when they are together. He will spend much time with both his father and mother when they are separate, but together they tend to fight a lot. Kale has a general strong dislike of loud noises.

Background: To tell Kale's tale we must go back to his parents first.

Eric is from an area of the world simply called the Northland. Ana hails from an Island Kingdom known as Tal'haran and was the daughter of a women who ruled one of the smaller islands. One day a terrible storm blew the ship Eric was serving on way off course and they wound up finding their way to Thranaga, where Ana resided. Eric's crew's first idea was to raid the settlement but the Tal'harian defense was strong enough to make them think twice about such an action. The Northmen being consummate explorers, decided to land anyway to examine this new land with such large women.
They different groups respected one another as fellow warriors but there was a fair amount of problems because of the disparate gender roles between the two. Throughout this Eric and Ana became enamored with eachother and decided to sail off together.

Ana was kept hidden because of a strong superstitious belief that women were bad luck on a voyage, as well as she being royalty and therefore a potential liability or even act of war. Upon finding Ana, Eric and she were dumped off at the nearest piece of land, the shore of an Empire named Rayond where they eventually fell in with the group of adventurers that settled Hillsdale....

Several years later Kale was born, a strong young boy. The couple were happy then at the first born child and tried to raise him as their own cultures dictated, and so began the strife. Kale grew up in a household with alot of yelling and at an early age wandered away to avoid it. This slowly became the norm with Kale spending much of his youth around Hillsdale instead of in it. In a bid to try to have bit of company on his treks he began to train rats as companions. After several tries he finally managed to have a tame rat who he named Pinky. The little creature follows many of Kale's orders and is often found on Kale's person, whether he's aware or no.

As he's gotten older Kale has become more interested in the outside world, the cultures his parents hail from and just what his family history is (as Eric and Ana are remarkably mum on the subject). Regardless, Kale's wandering days seem to have only begun, and his sights are set now on places farther away from hillsdale
Ambitions/Dreams[/QUOTE]

Question-question-questions!

Gods and Religions
What are the gods of the setting? Are they active or abstract? What are other divine powers in the cosmos? What are the official/structured religions of the land, if any?

Culture and Society
What are the different cultural aspects of the genders in the setting? As in, is there female or male dominance? Are they equals? How is sexuality/marriage/romance treated by society at large? As in, are marriages arranged deals, created from love, etc? How are relationships that are not marriages seen by society?

Currency and Trade
How is commerce in the lands? What coins are the standard, if coins are used at all? Are there guilds of labourers/merchants in the land?

Plot/Setting
Are you planning to have the game centred around Hillsdale, or are we going to venture forth into other lands as well, within and outside Tenaria?

Characters
Do we absolutely need to be the offspring of the heroes, or are there other possibilities (thinking dead parents or children of someone less legendary from the village, but who grew up in the shadow of the heroes nevertheless)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
Question-question-questions!

Gods and Religions
What are the gods of the setting? Are they active or abstract? What are other divine powers in the cosmos? What are the official/structured religions of the land, if any?
I actually am glad you asked this question as normally I make the gods fairly important to my games. I will make sure to provide more in depth information in the actual game forum as soon as possible, but for now assume that the gods are active and if you want to create one for your character story feel free. The worst I will do is tell you what god already exists in my setting matches your god. At best I include your god in the setting information with all due credit of course.

There are structured religions in the world, again this is something I need to get hammered out in the setting information and will again work on today. Again feel free if you need to create one to do so, I am always willing to adjust to make things work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss
Culture and Society
What are the different cultural aspects of the genders in the setting? As in, is there female or male dominance? Are they equals? How is sexuality/marriage/romance treated by society at large? As in, are marriages arranged deals, created from love, etc? How are relationships that are not marriages seen by society?
I view the Tenarian kingdom as giving equal status to women and men. A woman is considered an equal to a man in most regards and have an equal say (if not greater one) in most households. As far as Marriage goes this happens because of love in Tenaria and honestly most people don't care if two people are married or not as long as they are responsible parents to any offspring.

Outside of Tenaria there are many different places with many different views on the above. If you have a particular concept that is different culturly feel free to PM me and we can explore it a bit. I love seeing other peoples ideas and often will bend over backward to find a way to make them work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss
Currency and Trade
How is commerce in the lands? What coins are the standard, if coins are used at all? Are there guilds of labourers/merchants in the land?
Commerce in Hillsdale works with a combination of coin and trade. In the wider Kingdom both are always accepted. Yes their are guilds but Hillsdale is so small that you are looking at a handful of guild members at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss
Plot/Setting
Are you planning to have the game centred around Hillsdale, or are we going to venture forth into other lands as well, within and outside Tenaria?
The beginning of the game will naturally be centered around Hillsdale, however I do intend to push the group away from Hillsdale out into the wider world fairly quickly. I have a lot of cultural ideas I want to try out and the best way to explore them is to have the characters bump into them. I want to create a living vibrant world where nothing is in stasis and hopefully you all woudn't mind giving it a nudge here and there yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss
Characters
Do we absolutely need to be the offspring of the heroes, or are there other possibilities (thinking dead parents or children of someone less legendary from the village, but who grew up in the shadow of the heroes nevertheless)?
No you do not need to be the offspring of the heroes. Dead parents, regular everyday parents, abusive parents are all acceptable as long as the character grew up in or around the village. In fact your character does not have to be born in the village, just raised in the village for a while prior to the start of the game.

I hope that answered your questions well enough. If not feel free to continue to ask for clarification. Also I want everyone to know that I love potential plot twists in character backgrounds and am always happy to discuss unusual concepts provided you are willing to work with me a bit as well.

Great, great, great. The concept takes shape.

Technology
How advanced is technology in the world, in and around Tenaria? For example, does clockwork technology already exists? Is technology supplemented by magic?

Magic
Is magic and mages your everyday thing (in big cities, at least), or is magic something mystical and mysterious? Is magic simple (ie. I throw a fireball in your face) or complicated (ie. extensive rituals with rare and exotic components for a relatively small effect)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
Great, great, great. The concept takes shape.

Technology
How advanced is technology in the world, in and around Tenaria? For example, does clockwork technology already exists? Is technology supplemented by magic?

Magic
Is magic and mages your everyday thing (in big cities, at least), or is magic something mystical and mysterious? Is magic simple (ie. I throw a fireball in your face) or complicated (ie. extensive rituals with rare and exotic components for a relatively small effect)?
Thank you for the question, spurred a story idea....

About a thousand years ago the god of secret pacts and evil magic murdered the god of technology. Since that happened technology has been at a bit of a standstill (imagine high middle ages with rudimentary factory systems such as big wooden clogs powering saw mills). However, recently a new god has arrived on the scene and is claiming technology as his sphere and is quickly gaining more and more followers...

As far as how magic works....

There are those who are born with a magical affinity. This does not automatically guarantee magical ability but means they can learn it. For this reason powerful wizards are actually quite rare. However, those with the affinity often develop some rudimentary capability and often wind up becoming local shamans/hedgewizards etc. How this relates to character development is chances are that one of the retired adventurers is a very powerful wizard who may or may not have taught your character a thing or two. Magic does not pass along by bloodline. Yes certain races such as elves have a higher rate of affinity than humans, while other races, such as orcs have a lower rate.

Private question is private!



Edit: Answer in private, if possible, would be appreciated. (:

I really hate private messages... =P

Anyway, general questions so I thought it was best to put them here:

Gods
I know you said you're still updating as you go. However: is there a god of Beauty? and Love? Sun/Moon? Elements?

Spirits
Are there spirits in the setting? As in, beings that abstract nature and exist in the natural world, like fae? And if they do exist, do they hold any meaningful power?

Magic, Again
Can magic be unique? What I mean is, must all magic be "learnable", or there is the possibility of existing a few unique gifts that only those that were born with them may use, even if they must learn how to use them first?

Languages
What languages are there throughout the land? The basics (Common, Elven, Dwarven, etc)? Each country has it's languages?

Count me as intrested.

I've been looking for a solid game with a steady GM and I also wanted to give freeform another try.

I'll try to come up with a character concept before the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkiss View Post
I really hate private messages... =P
and I really hate private thread messages but I think we can learn to work with each other the same. Maybe you will use the threads, I will use PM to answer you LOL.
Quote:
Anyway, general questions so I thought it was best to put them here:

Gods
I know you said you're still updating as you go. However: is there a god of Beauty? and Love? Sun/Moon? Elements?
Yes there is a god/goddess of beauty and of love. DOn't think there is one of the sun and moon, will have to think about that. There is a primal elemental force named Gthull but have never really developed it at all...
Quote:
Spirits
Are there spirits in the setting? As in, beings that abstract nature and exist in the natural world, like fae? And if they do exist, do they hold any meaningful power?
I would say yes there are fae but they don't really hold any meaningful power in the world except in their natrual places (the dryad in the forest for example) There probably is a fea world type of place though.....
Quote:
Magic, Again
Can magic be unique? What I mean is, must all magic be "learnable", or there is the possibility of existing a few unique gifts that only those that were born with them may use, even if they must learn how to use them first?
Sure magic can be unique, if you want a unique ability pitch it to me just provide a solid story based rational as well.
Quote:
Languages
What languages are there throughout the land? The basics (Common, Elven, Dwarven, etc)? Each country has it's languages?
Actually, while I normally don't like to get fussy with languages for the most part each reigon has its own language or dialect of a larger language group. Tenarians for example speak a form of Ishan which is the language of the Ishanian Empire. This is something I will explore more down the line but if it is pertinent to character concepts feel free to suggest ideas.




 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Myth-Weavers Status       Advertise with us