Notices

OOC Thread Archive.

Sweet... been looking forward to this game a lot more than I have for any of the others I've gotten involved in in some time, actually. Probably because it's such a break from what I'm normally playing in, hmm?

A note or two regarding some simple posting conventions that I would like to see.

Pick a color for your text. One that is legible, I'm looking at you Bright Yellow. Your friends Wheat and Pink may not come along either.

"Use the Bold font and your color of choice, to indicate when you are speaking."

"Many NPCs you meet will stick to bolded regular text." They won't get colors... unless they are Kind of a Big Deal or quirky/recurring characters.

Adding the speech color to your thoughts can be useful if you use italics for emphasis in your regular text a lot, like me. Whatever you do, don't Bold anything that's not character speech.

"If I was speaking a different language than I normally did, I might color and/or apply a formatting trick to it appropriately."

Basically, make it bold and clear when you're character is speaking. I know some people are a little bit opposed to the big bright candy-flavors style of character speech, but in my opinion this way makes it very very obvious when you're speaking and when you're not. I like clarity.

Dice rolls and OOC text. Let us speak of them.

First rule, use this OOC thread for things that belong here. If you have a rules question, use the OOC thread for it. Second rule, separate your "Tabletop" actions from your RP in a clear manner. I'll try not to be too picky, but here are a few good methods that might work for you.

Method 1: the spoiler block
Unit 080 leveled out the aim of it's Masgun and fired a volley of microwave beams at it's monstrous assailant.

Method 2: simply separate non-RP elements at the bottom of the post and use formatting for clarity
Kusanagi lowered her eyebrows, leaned in on the surprised transfer student, and adopted her 'cute voice,' which in reality was everything else but. "Say, wanna go sneaking around the NERV base after school tonight? I can show you where they keep the giant robots!"

OOC: My dice roll to seduce the transfer student. Hopefully this will let me bum lunch money off of the fool, seeing as how I forgot that this morning.
Dice Roll: 1d100z
d100 Results: 3
Charm (Fellowship 28, +10 with Sexy Voice for a target difficulty of 38) (3)

I like being able to see the results of dice rolls without having to mouse over them. So either use Roll with the 'z' option after your dice, or stick to Dice tags.

So.. roll tags with zed... and I'll take This color, DarkOrange. Since it goes with my Eva. x.x

Dark red for me then, because that's the color of Angus Young's Gibson SG, and that would be important to Jack I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark080matter View Post
Expect the IC thread sometime tonight!
Which of course, should be translated to mean "Expect the IC thread sometime tomorrow morning!"

Have at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekman View Post
Dark red for me then, because that's the color of Angus Young's Gibson SG, and that would be important to Jack I think
This is quite possibly the best line of reasoning I've ever heard of, for anything.

In that case, I'll take Xtreme Refreshing Arctic Blast, better known as Royal Blue, if its legible enough.

Chloe used SeaGreen for her introductory passages, I see no reason why it cannot continue.

I made an impromptu command decision that the stewardess is attractive. All of my understanding of the airline business is based off of the attractiveness of flight stewardesses so don't shatter my realities so soon in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekman View Post
I made an impromptu command decision that the stewardess is attractive. All of my understanding of the airline business is based off of the attractiveness of flight stewardesses so don't shatter my realities so soon in the game.
1d10+5 Insanity points for destroyed expectations.

Actually sure, that's great. My GM narrative style is usually pretty loose; unless a specific detail is explicitly mentioned you can generally claim editorial right by simply being the first person to comment on it. In this case the attractiveness of the stewardess is yours to dictate by being the first person to make it important to their character (I only characterized her in terms of the superficiality of her mannerisms).

Of course, this has it's logical limits. If you're on the run from JSDF commandos (to borrow an event from the series, not sure why this would happen in this campaign) you are unlikely to be able to 'discover' a sidearm or convenient stack of hand grenades simply because I never said there wasn't one lying around. Instead, I'd probably do something like force you to make an Intelligence test to remember the layout of the base and find a weapons store-room... which you'll have to break the lock on somehow.

Going back to the post though, you have a great roll for Fellowship. Unfortunately, you don't have Charm as a trained skill. Charm is a Basic skill which means you can still make the attempt, but your characteristic is halved for it. So yes, that's a close failure. This will be fun.

EDIT:
Unrelated note Lots of people, by which I mean everyone I think, have taken the Dodge skill. It's a good skill, but the choice is one that at least a couple of you might want to reconsider depending on various factors. Things to consider: you can only Dodge one attack at a time, which eats up your Reaction for that turn. The skill roll itself is an Agility test, which depending on how low that Characteristic is for you might be kind of a lot of high stakes gambling for little reward when you just end up getting hit all the time anyway. Compare this to the 'Deflective Field' AT Pattern which you all have (page 163 of the Absolute Territory chapter), and which is very likely going to be among the first actions that anyone takes.

But really what it comes down to is what you figure on your average ATS being over the course of a battle. So, the Dodge skill probably makes sense for the ranged-combat 'traditional warrior' character whose physical training is good but has a low Synch Ratio, and commensurately less so for party members who are going to have a Spread AT field which gives them a higher deflection rate then that skill ever will anyway. Of course there are other things to consider, like are you planning on burning off all of your AT Points on Powers every turn, will the Angels neutralize your fields, will their attacks just ignore AT fields anyway, similar things. Being paranoid about everything is your problem, not mine.

I only bring this up because a party with nothing but the 'mandatory' combat skills can get kind of boring out of combat by not being able to do much that's really relevant in 50% or more of the campaign.