Races of Arkadia
Races of Arkadia
This campaign world, set in a world of harsh, unyielding frost, is a place of icy beauty and deadly peril. The races native to this world are well-adapted to the cold; most if not all of them have the arctic subtrait (+4 to Fortitude rolls against the adverse effects of cold and exposure.
The biata are a beautiful, aloof race that prefers to stay away from the White Courts of men. They can be found in small, sylvan communities on the edge of taiga. Despite their rustic lifestyle, the scholastic tradition among the biata runs deep, and it is not uncommon to find a community led by a geomancer, astrologer, or sage. Biata tend to be markedly shorter than humans, with their menfolk generally no taller than 5'9" and their women at 5'5". They are light for their size, often no more than 100-130 lbs. In attitude and demeanor biata most resemble the elves, although the two races bear no relation.
The most distinguishing feature of the biata is their hair - to be precise, their absence of it. Instead of human hair, they grow long, slender, brightly colored pinfeathers from their scalp and eyebrows. Such plumage can be jet black, snow white, or fire red. Woman can grow their plumage as long as any human woman's hair, which can be quite striking.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity: Biata are incredibly lithe and agile, but their hollow bones do not permit them to exert as much strength as men.
- Medium Creatures
- Land speed is 30 ft.
- Arctic subtype
- Snowrunning: Biata ignore movement penalties for snow and heavy snow, as their light tread permits them to walk across the surface of such terrain rather than sinking into it.
- Biatia receive a +2 racial bonus to their Balance and Jump checks.
- Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
- Low-Light Vision: A biata can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Weapon Proficiency: Biata may treat any exotic weapon specifically named as a biata weapon as a martial weapon.
- Favored class: Scout. A multiclass biata's scout class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
The domovoi are an ubiquitous partner with men in Arkadia; nearly every human village has at least one domovoi in residence as a sage or wise man, and they have long held a respected position as the primary servants in the White Court. Domovoi are well known for their knowledge, humility, and wisdom in every human land. Despite their symbiotic relationship with mankind, the domovoi firmly maintain their own culture and heritage. The race meets every summer at gathering circles or groves to maintain their ties to one another, and religiously practice their own traditions and superstitions in the heart of human culture.
In appearance, the domovoi seem to be nothing more than small, wizened old men and women. The men are well known for being incredibly hairy, with beards reaching down to their bellies if not their toes. The women are even more ferociously wrinkled then the men, and always seem to have piercing blue eyes. No one has ever seen a "young" domovoi; their aged appearance seems to have more to do with their race than their actual age.
- +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
- Small size. As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Land speed of 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A domovoi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Domovoi gain a +2 racial bonus to their Knowledge(arcana) checks and a +2 racial bonus to one Craft skill check (specific craft chosen at character creation).
- A domovoi can speak with any Small animal of any species. This ability is innate to domovoi. See the speak with animals spell description.
- Sagacious: All Knowledge skills are class skills for a domovoi, no matter what class he chooses.
- Spell-Like Abilities: A domovoi with an Intelligence score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—guidance, resistance, bless. Caster level equals the character level x 1/2.
- Numerology: At the beginning of every day, if the domovoi spends 10 minutes in study she can divine her lucky number for the day. Roll 1d20 and record the result. If at any point during the day the domovoi rolls that number when performing an attack roll, saving throw, or skill check, he gains an immediate free use of one of his spell-like abilities. This free use may be cast as an immediate action, and must be used within 1 round.
- Favored class: Wizard. A multiclass domovoi's wizard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
The hearty, ferocious ursa have cheerfully served as mercenaries to various noble houses of Arkadia since time immemorial. While ferocious in combat, they are not barbarians; they simply prefer to fight hard and play hard, and their hearty constitutions permit them to do so to a degree that startles the lesser races.
The ursa resemble nothing so much as humanoid polar bears - A bear-like head, snow white fur from head to toe, thick, stubby-fingered hands, and massive, powerful builds. Female usra grow long, thick manes of white hair that start at the back of their necks and descend down their backs, but aside from this the sexes look very similar to an outsider (although another ursa can most certainly tell the difference). They are just barely Medium creatures, standing as tall as seven feet and weighing in at nearly 300 lbs.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom: Ursa are some of the heartiest races on the tundra, but rarely look before they leap.
- Medium creatures (barely).
- Land speed of 30 feet. Ursa can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- +2 to all opposed grappling checks: Wrestling is a way of life among the ursa, and most disputes are settled in the wrestling pit.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of ursae lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an ursa is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the ursa is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. An ursa is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole can affect him. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Fury: Once per day, the ursa may call on their wild heritage and discard all semblance of civilization. They gain a +2 bonus to Strength, but take a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma, for 4 rounds.
- Weapon familiarity: Any exotic weapon described as being specific to the ursa race is treated as a martial weapon by an ursa.
- Low-Light Vision: An ursa can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Favored Class: Warblade. A multiclass ursa's warblade class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.