Jump to content

Day 4 - Vogler


emotionaut

Recommended Posts

***

Location:  Vogler

Day:  4

Time:  11:50 A.M.


What should have been a late night of drinking, carousing, and general revelry is instead a long and harried evacuation of a few hundred men, women, and children. An initial panic does set in, with many shouting their questions and concerns at those deputized by the mayor to maintain order. Few are trained to deal with such mob mentality, and the tension threatens to bubble over into a riot. However, Kora expertly works the crowd and offers reassurances to those with fears or doubts. One might assume she's using her arcane gifts to manipulate their minds, but this is not the case. Kora embodies the kind of lesson Mage Nightsong loves to impart, showing that magic need not be a crutch.

In conjunction with Jonas systematizing the evacuation process at the docks, the two young mages manage to load and launch boats much faster than originally estimated. The wharfinger had said they'd likely only get half the town evacuated by the noon deadline, but at their current efficiency, they stand to get more than three quarters of the town off to Kalaman before midday. If their luck holds, there will be only dozens left in town when the army arrives rather than hundreds.

While Jonas, Kora, and Artyver focus on the evacuation, Jaqi, Heather, and Bastion do what they can to ready the village's defenses. Jaqi is able to muscle a fair amount of material over to the River Gate to serve as barricades. There are plenty of kiosks and stalls from the festival, now empty and abandoned. Seeing the tall elf taking this upon herself, many of the militia members join in and help reinforce the barricades by following her example. Collectively, they are able to narrow the access to the village from the main road, likely limiting any invaders to moving no more than three men abreast as they enter. And it will be slow going, regardless.

Heather and Bastion work out beyond the River Gate, placing traps and securing weapon caches along the road. Unfortunately, neither is adapted to the darkness, and their efforts may not prove fruitful by the light of day.

Meanwhile, Mage Nightsong, Captain Viharin, Andir, June-Bug, and Eirik work to make sure the research of Ispin Greenshield is not lost to time or the enemy forces. At the same time, Nightsong readies the tower's magical defenses. She says that it is imperative that the secrets of the Mages of High Sorcery remain secret. She spends most of the night in the tower's basement, weaving a ritual none of her apprentices can hope to understand.

By morning, Vogler is already feeling like a ghost town. Half the village has already departed and boats are returning to ferry away those who remain. Families huddle at the docks in the cool morning air. The long night and the associated weariness have pacified them. All have come to accept this reality without further resistance.

Mayor Taven moves through the crowd with volunteers, passing out blankets, biscuits, and small bowls of warm stew. The militia has taken up positions at the River Gate and the eastern and western shores of the village, at all points where an attack might conceivably be made.

An uneasiness grows as midday approaches...
 

OOC

Rolls were mostly positive. Kora's excellent social roll headed off a potential encounter among the villagers, which would have been messy and morally gray. Her and Jonas together also pushed up the evac rate, so there will be less innocents in the coming battle to worry about. And Jaqi's barricades will limit the reinforcement rate in the coming battle. As for Bastion and Heather, the good news is that the low rolls don't cause a negative. They just don't yield a positive.

All right, post up any final thoughts before we do battle! Mages, prepare your spells. Etc, etc. I've got my map scanned and I just need to annotate it with row and column designations. Thank you again for your patience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 spacer.pngKora Shadowhawk


checked-shield.svgAC: 11 (14) | health-normal.svg HP: 14/14 | awareness.svg PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Sorcery Pts: 2/2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan


The sun was midway toward noon as Kora sat perched on a support beam on one of the docks, watching another group of families boarding the boats to be shuttled off somewhere hopefully safer than Vogler. Kora had just spent several minutes assuring a handful of children from those families that the so-called Dragon Army wasn't as scary as it sounded. Mostly just a pack of well-armed rabble - nothing that the mages, knights, and militia folk couldn't handle. The Mayor was just being cautious, but they would be back home before they knew it. A couple of parents had looked at Kora knowingly, recognizing the lie but grateful for the effect it had.

Kora took a sip from the skin of weak wine one of the Mayor's volunteers had handed her. She was tired. Glancing to her left, she saw that Jonas looked tired as well. They had both been up nearly the whole night aiding with the evacuation, managing to catch short catnaps here and there. Kora hated to admit it, but Jonas Clark had proven very helpful in coordinating the movements of the townsfolk. She had barely acknowledged him during her short time with Mage Nightsong - he was one of those quiet students that stayed in the background and didn't draw attention to himself. Quite different than Kora in fact. She found herself gratified that Nightsong had not turned her initiates into aloof, uncaring pridemongers like Kora perceived the elf.

She handed the wineskin to Jonas, taking the opportunity to roll her shoulders and stretch. She glanced back at the town. She knew Viharin's squires were out there prepping the defenses of the town. She had seen them once or twice throughout the night, though Kora made a point of avoiding Jaqilenna whenever possible. Thinking of Jaqi made Kora think about the preservation of Greenshield's research at his tower. She was starting to suspect that she had lost the opportunity to obtain that information, let alone loot Greenshield's library for arcane secrets and lore. She needed to get word to her partner - but their planned rendezvous was exactly where the Dragon Army had planted themselves. That was troubling - and Kora couldn't decide what aspect was more troubling about it. There was little chance of sneaking off right now, and Kora wouldn't have wanted to abandon the people of Vogler in any case. She would simply have to be patient, as much as that was against her nature, and wait for a better opportunity.

Jonas was handing the wineskin back to her. She offered him a rare smile, subconsciously acknowledging his competence. "You and Valmakos and Honeyberry haven't taken your Tests yet, have you? Think we're ready to what's about to come? Given the size of that force out there, today might end up being a Test all by itself."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Screenshot_20230201-234440.png.db8ce705b7312ec5a47bc51f8fc3dc97.pngHeather Nonameyet 

AC: 14 | HP: 19/19 Hit dice: 2/2d10

LR Abilities:  Taunt: 2/2 | Fearless 1/1 | 1st Level 2/2

Attacks | Saves | Spells Sheet


As the time approaches, Heather finds a high point with good cover of the approaches to town, and good concealment. With a bit of luck, she'll have the first warning of any attack. With a lot of luck, she might be able to send some arrows at them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jonas Clarkspacer.png


checked-shield.svgAC 11 | health-normal.svg HP: 7/7 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic


Jonas blinked owlishly behind his glasses as Kora took back the wineskin. He stammered, "Huh? Er, no, actually, we all passed our Test two nights ago. Mage Nightsong presented us with our Testing rewards." He shyly pulls the Wand of the War Mage from his sleeve. "Quite challenging, it was. There was a puzzle that required ..." He trailed off. "I probably shouldn't say more." He is quiet for a time. His eyes watched the boats as they floated away downstream.

He gave Kora a sideways glance. "So, you, uh, left the Tower. Where have you been? What have you been doing?" He leaves the unasked hanging in the air.

Why did you leave?

Edited by taurelin (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

tZ7ip34.jpgKora Shadowhawk


checked-shield.svgAC: 11 (14) | health-normal.svg HP: 14/14 | awareness.svg PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Sorcery Pts: 2/2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan


Kora suppressed a wince when Jonas revealed that the three initiates had already completed their Tests. She also swallowed the feeling of envy as Jonas presented his wand, a symbol of recognition from Nightsong on his ability. She felt some of the resentment and grief swelling up inside her heart again - but she had also been awake most of the night and her body simply did not have the energy to be angry at the moment.

"Learning what I could," she sighed, "Trying to get better...stronger. There are people out there who need protecting, and I couldn't....I can't just wait around until someone else decides to teach me what I need to know in order to save the people I care about." The sorrow caused a hitch in Kora's voice but her weariness kept it from taking hold. "I need to find my power on my own, free of any one wizard's restrictions and limits."

Kora knew her reply wasn't the answer Jonas probably wanted. But she was too tired to justify her choices - and far too tired to want to dredge up memories of her failing her family. Part of her was almost eager for the conflict to come - it would be a distraction at least. But at the same time, Jonas had not been responsible for her falling out with Nightsong. He deserved at least something resembling an explanation. Maybe if they survived the coming battle, she'd offer more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 15/15 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 1d6 Precise Strike 2/2

Attacks and Scores

 

 

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

  • Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1
 
Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +2
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +3
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

  • Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

  • Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

  • Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Bastion has never been one to socialize, that's not in his nature. What comrades he gains, he gains through his connection to the knights and what situations that puts him in. His time here in Volger is no different: he recites his vows in the privacy of his bed, powering through his relative lack of sleep, and prays to the gods, knowing full well they won't listen. They never do. But... there must be hope, that one day they will.

Maybe it's today, against these foes.

When it comes to the waiting, Bastion is patient enough to know not to torture himself. It's coming, or it won't. He can't help people he doesn't know except with his bow and arrow, and so situating himself not far from Heather, and making clear to her where he is, he prepares by waiting. This will be his first real test of his mettle.

He will not be found wanting.

Out of Character

Situational: 
Move:
Action: 
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jaqi-removebg-preview.png.b3541d0c0510d68f8de0fcef4a59de2b.pngJaqelenna Lanthaloren

Silvanesti Elf Fighter (2)


 

checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 | awareness.svg PP: 13 | 2nd Wind: 1/1 |Action Surge: 1/1| Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish


The towering elf raises a hand and brushes back the orange bangs that matted themselves to her brow, wet with the sweat of her effort. She exhaled a sigh and looked over the bounty of her work. It wouldn't be enough, but it would do. As one of the members of the militia passes her by, she claps a hand on his shoulder and gives him a nod of respect. "It is good work." She allows a slight smile to curl her lips, but it is highlighted in an anxious energy. "Go, rest."

Minutes later, Jaqelenna is sat nestled behind cover, between two barricades nearest to the entrance of the city. She has drawn her greatsword and slowly runs a whetstone over its edge. She sings a quiet song in Elvish that sounds akin to an enchanting lullaby. Yet, those who speak the language would quickly recognize the words to be more fitting for a hymn of battle. Its words are a taunt to her enemies, but is directed at her weapon. It promises that the blade will get its chance to show its glory; it promises that the blade will taste flesh and bone soon, instead of mere stone. The anxious spirit that dwells within all just before a dangerous melee is felt by their weapon. It causes the blade to tremble with anticipation, making the one who wields it give glancing blows instead of fatal ones. It causes the blade to sweat from its hilt, making it easy to drop so that its wielder is unprotected. The song quiets that spirit -- soothes it.

Her singing does not stop but her eyes move to the perches where she knows her allies to be. The strength of their bond as squires would be truly tested this day. Perhaps they would die here, but they would die with glory. They would bring a hundred of the Dragon Armies' soldiers with them before they dared to fall. In this moment, Jaqi is calm. She has to be. She will find her vengeance today, that much was certain. It would not complete her goal, but it would be the first step on its bloodied path. All she had to do was keep her eyes forward and keep walking. "Adan síla erin lû e-govaned vîn, ar agorel na-erui vi eryn echui."

 

OoC

Elvish Translation - "Death invites us with her welcoming hand, but we will not greet her until our task is done."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

***

Location:  Vogler

Day:  4

Time:  12:30 P.M.


As the sun climbs higher in the sky, the mood in Vogler turns more frantic. Despite Kora’s calming words and Jonas’s eye for efficiency, the long night has frayed the nerves of many. And those who are left for the latter half of the evacuation are growing both weary and worried for what may come. To make matters even worse, the oarsmen ferrying the villagers to Kalaman are dead tired, causing delays. Some captains choose to stay in Kalaman as the hour nears midday, not wanting to get caught in the conflict.

When noon arrives, Heather spots a lone figure on horseback crest the ridgeline overlooking the road into Vogler. The rider observes for a few moments, well out of range of longbows, and can no doubt deduce that the town will not comply with their army’s demands. The dark figure then recedes from the overlook, and some ten minutes later the first warhorns blow in the distance.

The village militia snaps to attention. They take hold of their spears, axes, and pitchforks with shaking hands. Their ex-mercenary captain sighs and steps to the fore, but even his hands can be seen to tremble by a well-trained eye. On the front line, only Jaqi holds steady, and this gives those around her some small boost of confidence. Enough so that they don’t turn and run, at least.

Heather and Bastion take up strategic positions for ranged coverage of the River Gate. The butte on which Thornwall sits offers the best elevation and sightlines. They each find their own spot in the shadow of the tower. Behind them, Thornwall sits quiet, though they know great magicks are underway within. Mage Nightsong has been up all night conducting a ritual to safeguard its secrets, while Andir and June-Bug catalogue and collect Greenshield’s life’s work.

Sir Viharin and Eirik have been in and out of the tower all night, with the old knight checking on the progress of the fortifications and evacuation, and the young squire assisting him at every turn. At present, they are both stationed back inside the tower, ready to protect Magesong until her spell can be completed.

At the wharf, Jonas, Kora, and Artyver hear the blast of the distant horns, as do all the villagers waiting at the water’s edge. The people begin to press toward the few boats at dock, though all are already at full capacity. The people are assured more boats will be coming, though none are currently visible on the river. As the loaded craft push off, some desperate fools try to leap into them, only to land in the muddy water. Seeing them fished back onto the dock, sopping wet and shivering, quells some of the herd mentality driving them to panic. But the people are still abuzz with fear.

A frenzied chorus of battle cries heralds the first wave of attackers at the River Gate. The vanguard consists of goblins, common conscripts in the Dragon Armies, as Jaqi well knows. Towering over the toadying masses, she lets her greatsword swing with abandon. She cuts a swath through their numbers, and it serves to rally the inexperienced militia. Together, they are successful in driving back the first assault, and Heather and Bastion are able to pick off the retreating members to further clog the road with their corpses.

However, this is just the beginning of a very long day. The enemy sends additional waves, sometimes consisting of more goblins, sometimes humans. Mercenaries and barbarians gathered from the savage lands of Taman Busuk. They make feints, trying to draw the defenders out. They probe the eastern and western edges of the village. They rain arrows from extreme range from the tops of the canyon walls.

And while the defenses hold for a time, a strategic retreat is inevitable. Seeing Jaqi and the militia drawing back into the village, Heather and Bastion must move quickly or risk being cut off. They decide to scramble down the steep hillside from the tower, though this proves ill-advised. Bastion takes a tumble and rolls half the distance down, coming to his feet with numerous cuts and bruises. Heather manages to stay on her feet, but as she picks up speed, she attempts to leap down the remaining few feet. Unfortunately, she tweaks her ankle when she lands and favors the leg as they hurry to catch up.

Kora and Jonas have yet to see any action, but they can hear the sounds of conflict growing closer. They do what they can to keep the villagers calm, and they find an unexpected ally in a minstrel who does his best to maintain a jaunty tune on his lyre in the face of their destruction. He even starts to sing a song, composed on the spot, about a mystery woman who saves a town with her wits and good words. Kora can’t help but smile, even with disaster pressing down upon them.

For his part, Jonas tries to get people to queue up for the boats he promises will be coming. But they are too focused on the screams and clashes of steel in the distance to hear or obey. So instead, his keen eyes spot a couple of damaged rowboats drawn up onto the dock for repairs. Using some simple cantrips, he sets to repairing these so that they might get just a few more people away on the river. When the villagers see what he’s doing, they are in awe. They then quickly come to his aid and help him get the repaired boats into the water. During their haste, a rather oafish man clumsily steps on Jonas’s foot, possibly breaking a toe. But the young mage grits his teeth and bears it. If this is the worst injury he suffers today, he will count himself lucky.

Jaqi and the militia fight on their heels as they retreat ever closer to the wharf. Heather and Bastion round a corner and see them just a block away. The docks are close. They just need to buy the people there a little more time.

And that’s when they hear the cry go up. Someone screams “Dragon!”
 

OOC

Ooof, that was way longer than I intended. Sorry. But hey, here's a map!

Jonas and Kora should place themselves somewhere near the docks on the right. Jaqi, Heather, and Bastion can come in from the north or the south. Decide on Discord and then give me your starting squares. The two green tokens X and Y are groups of villagers trying to reach the docks.

Please roll for initiative.
 

image.png.49b6be0712b6a4f6ce870b1cde178edb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jaqi-removebg-preview.png.b3541d0c0510d68f8de0fcef4a59de2b.pngJaqelenna Lanthaloren

Silvanesti Elf Fighter (2)


 

checked-shield.svgAC: 16 | health-normal.svg HP: 20/20 | awareness.svg PP: 13 | 2nd Wind: 1/1 |Action Surge: 1/1| Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish


Jaqelenna struggles to maintain a steady breathing pattern. The technique was learned from her instructors amongst the Solamnian Knights and it was effective. But even the best of techniques had their limits, and as she runs, chainmail armor rattling with each movement, she can feel the exhaustion taking its toll on her. Dirt and blood covers her face, except in long, clear streaks of sun-kissed skin where the sweat from her brow had washed away its grime.

She stalls for a moment, if only to check behind her that Bastion and Heather are keeping up, especially since the latter of two had sustained an injury that is slowing her pace. "We are almost arrived, keep moving!" She tries to speak the words in a way that is both commanding and inspiring, but her voice cracks, hoarse from shouting orders to the untrained militia that fought at her side. While stopping to wait for Heather had slowed them, in truth, she welcomed the chance to stop moving and allow her body even a moment's respite. Her strength is waning, and its becoming increasingly difficult to keep her blade from dragging the ground as she moves.Even as Heather catches up, Jaqi does not advance. She needs to break more than she is willing to admit. Through heavy breaths, she speaks in a lower voice as Bastion and Heather approach. "We have...done well." The Elf switches her breathing from her mouth to her nostrils causing the sides of her nose to flare widely. "But we are not done yet. Keep your focus. Though the body aches for rest, we must power through." She isn't sure if she is talking to them or herself -- perhaps both.

 

OoC

Movement - (I imagine I would start at like, X13 maybe? If I'm ahead of the other two?) I'd like to Dash if I can, to try and get into the structure around L8, if there's an opening there. I'm not sure if it would take a full action to try and taunt the dragon. If so, I'm find with moving my max speed to R13 and just tell me to roll it in Discord or something, and I will.

Action - Hopefully dashing, but I will sacrifice the dash in favor of drawing the Dragon's attention.

 

Edited by Spektor (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
9
1d20+1 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

tZ7ip34.jpgKora Shadowhawk


checked-shield.svgAC: 11 (14) | health-normal.svg HP: 14/14 | awareness.svg PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Sorcery Pts: 2/2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan


The cry of "dragon" swept away both Kora's weariness and what passed for satisfaction in the night's efforts. She felt the panic in the town like a physical force and found herself imaging what the Riverwrights must have experienced at the hands of the bandit force. She hardened herself and touched her brow with an extended finger. Whispering arcane words that would be similar but not precisely the same to Jonas' ears, Kora conjured a semi-visible aura of protective magic around her body. She then glanced toward where the cries were coming from and up in the direction of a fleeing group of Vogler's townsfolk. She hastened across the open docks to sequester under what cover she could find. She motioned at Jonas, directing his attention back to the civilians.

"Keep them moving to safety. If the enemy comes this way, I'll see what I can do to distract it."


Tabletop

Kora uses her action to cast mage armor on herself (usable once per day for free). She moves to I-11 and tries to use some of the rubble for cover, watching for whatever is coming around the corner.

 

Edited by Lonewalker (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

***

Location:  Vogler

Day:  4

Round:  1


Kora scampers across the open expanse between the shore and the wharfinger's office building, head low and nerves atingle. She catches sight of a large shape looming through the smoke of nearby fires and the mist off the river. If it sees her, it makes no obvious reaction to her movement, and she's able to slip into cover without incident. To the north of her, she sees a cluster of villagers. Two women and an elderly man. They are frozen in fear and clearly don't know where to go or what to do.

As the others arrive on the scene and gather their wits, the great shape within the haze begins to move. It makes a slow, ponderous turn to the south. Then there is a great hissing of air followed by a resounding boom. In an instant, the buildings just south of the wharfinger's office are obliterated in an explosion of flame.

Burning chunks of wood and brick rain down on Jaqi, Bastion, Heather, and the villagers nearby. Looking over, the heroes see that it is a family, composed of two men and their two young daughters. They look unhurt by the beast's attack, but they are dazed, unable to do anything but clutch each other for dear life.
 

OOC

Okay, the Dragon blew up the buildings on the south side of the map (which basically makes the map look correct now). None of you or the villagers took any damage, but there is less cover than before (though more avenues of attack).

Mechanically, the villagers cannot move unless one of you guys is within 10 ft of them (or they are directly threatened by an enemy).
 

It's the players' turn again, so you're all up in any order (including Kora). Map updated:

image.png.5897a9eeb2f6a05317cc94efc6003bc3.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jonas Clarkspacer.png


checked-shield.svgAC 11 | health-normal.svg HP: 7/7 | awareness.svg PP: 17 | Spell Slots: 1st: 2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic


Jonas gasps as he hears the cry "Dragon!" in the distance. A dragon? Impossible! A roar and a boom cut through the haze and Jonas can make out the sounds of crashing brick and crackling timbers. The scent of sulfur and wood smoke pervades the air.

Kora moves like lightning, before Jonas can even begin to process what was happening. She points to the villagers. "Keep them moving to safety. If the enemy comes this way, I'll see what I can do to distract it." she says.

But, but... Dragon! Jonas looks back and forth from the terrified civilians to the vague massive shadow moving in the dust and haze. With a last longing glance at the mystery shape and a muttered oath, he turns and dashes toward the two women and their elderly charge.

"My name is Jonas. Follow me and do what I say." He hoped they would listen. His eyes slid to where Kora was hiding. You better be good at what you're doing. Because I'm not that good at this.


OOC

Jonas runs to E12

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Screenshot_20230201-234440.png.db8ce705b7312ec5a47bc51f8fc3dc97.pngHeather Nonameyet 

AC: 14 | HP: 19/19 Hit dice: 2/2d10

LR Abilities:  Taunt: 1/2 | Fearless 1/1 | 1st Level 2/2

Attacks | Saves | Spells Sheet


Amidst all the confusion and smoke, the sight of a dragon is clarifying for Heather; the image of this beast turning this way and that through the smoke seeking victims is beyond anything she has ever encountered, yet oddly familiar. Just another wild animal intent on slaughter and feast.

And yet. Dragons were supposed to be cunning. Thinking beasts. And proud.

Heather stands atop some of the rubble, trying to make her small stature and voice as clear as possible across the battlefield. She affects a disgusted tone.

"Urgh. Did you ever see such an ugly monster? It looks like a snake and a pig had a baby, and that baby swallow an extremely fat and lazy elephant. I swear, it's the stupidest-looking thing in this wide world."

She readies herself for any attack

(Move 25 feet North, BA Taunt, Action: Dodge)

 

 

 

Edited by Knave (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Bastion

Bastion Wrencrest TokenBastion Wrencrest, Squire of Solamnia Banner

My words | My thoughts | My Actions
AC 14 HP 11/15 Speed 40 ft., PP 13
Sneak Attack 1d6 Precise Strike 2/2

Attacks and Scores

 

 

Scores Skills
Strength 8 (-1)
Save -1
  • Athletics +1

Dexterity 16 (+3)
Save +5

  • Acrobatics +5
  • Sleight of Hand +7
  • Stealth +7
Constitution 13 (+1)
Save +1
 
Intelligence  15 (+2)
Save +4
  • Arcana +2
  • History +2
  • Investigation +4
  • Nature +2
  • Religion +2
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Save +1
  • Animal Handling +1
  • Insight +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Perception +3
  • Survival +3
Charisma 10 (+0)
Save +0
  • Deception +0
  • Intimidation +0
  • Performance +0
  • Persuasion +0

Dagger Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+3 piercing damage, Simple, Finesse, Light, Thrown, 2 total

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage, Simple, Two-Handed, Ammunition

Unarmed Strike. Melee: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0 bludgeoning damage.

Class and Race Abilities

Mobile
Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Squire of Solamnia
Your training in the ways of the Knights of Solamnia grants you these benefits:

  • Mount Up. Mounting or dismounting costs you only 5 ft. of movement.

  • Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack’s damage roll. You can use this benefit 2 times per long rest, but a use is expended only if the attack hits.

Expertise
Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make for two chosen proficiencies. Choose two additional proficiencies.

  • Stealth
  • Sleight of Hand

Sneak Attack
1 per turn
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack with a finesse or ranged weapon if you have advantage on the attack roll. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 ft. of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Cunning Action
You can take a bonus action on each of your turns to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Never in his wildest dreams did he think this day would come.

His first sight of combat? Yes, he knew that would come. A full-on battle? He thought it possible, likely, even. But a full-on mythical beast, made real right before him?

He was not giddy. He was terrified. And that is what thrilled him most.

Fighting beside Heather has proven fruitful, and he is worse for wear, but he dished out far, far more than he gave. Armed with a fresh set of arrows and ready to take the plunge into whatever retreat they are aiming for, when the cry rings out and gets his attention, he is ready for it. Heather's comment puts him at little more at ease, and notching an arrow, he moves forward, grinning.

"You folks: keep moving, the wharf's right there. We'll cover you." He looks over, spying Jaqi. If the dragon decides to attack her, then the people have no chance of getting to the docks safely. Bastion ponders the best course of action. "Hide behind this set of walls, and wait for my signal."

Out of Character

Situational: Yell at the villagers to get a move on, preferably to move to W10 depending on what their movement speed is and dependent on what the dragon does
Move: Move to W7
Action: Dodge, for now
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Ongoing Effects/Conditions:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tZ7ip34.jpgKora Shadowhawk


checked-shield.svgAC: 11 (14) | health-normal.svg HP: 14/14 | awareness.svg PP: 11 | Spell Slots: 1st 3/3 | Sorcery Pts: 2/2 | Insp | Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan


A cascade of potential tactics and spells flipped through Kora's thoughts like a fluttering stack of parchment. The explosion made her wince, but she cursed that she still couldn't make out a target of any sort. She needed a better view, a better position.

She glanced over her shoulder at Jonas and the villagers. The trio still looked terrified - and rightly so. But they also hadn't moved yet, and the fire-belching beast was still lumbering closer. Kora focused on one of the women, her eyes turning pitch black for a moment. She reached out with her thoughts and brushed gently and coolly against the woman's mind. >>I know you are scared - we all are - but do not delay. Go with the Mage Jonas Clark. He will get you to safety. Quickly now, before the creature gets too close! We will guard you against the enemy.<<

Turning back, Kora scurried forward to just before the corner of the building. She heard the kender Heather's voice ringing out over the din, calling out insults to the dragon. Had she seen the beast? Trying to stay under at least a modicum of cover, Kora peered around the corner to see if she could make out either the dragon or the forces allied with it.

Tabletop

Kora uses her bonus action to telepathically prod the villagers (X) to go with Jonas.

She moves to L-10 and uses her action for a good look around the corner.

 

Name
Perception
6
1d20+1 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...