Jump to content

Chapter 3 - journey to Glass Creek


Blaeringr

Recommended Posts

As Chalia and Kek pause by the small house, using its wall and open door to give them some cover against potential ranged attacks, they make as though they are checking out the house, while actually surveying the barn out of the corner of their eyes. Unfortunately, as far as they can tell, the barn appears to be completely abandoned. Did Sean lead them astray? He seemed to be leading them to the barn before being talked out of this foolish plan...

But then they spot Khaine, and he's giving them a signal for danger. The bandits have hidden to make themselves difficult to see from the approach to the barn, but the back door is also open, and Maybell's keen eyes have not only spotted all four of them, but also a little extra danger which the three hidden adventurers can convey loudly once the encounter begins, or quietly if one of them has a way of doing so (such as the message cantrip)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Continued from: Chapter 3 - Combat

As the adventurers catch their breath, the final bandit/archer slumped like a sack of potatoes and breathing heavily at Kek's feet, Chalia does a quick search of the bandits.

Aside from their weapons and armor and clothing, the bearded one with the scimitars was carrying a small leather folder detailing correspondence with Rex, and the archers are each carrying an empty vial that appear to have each held doses of poison, presumably the poison applied to the arrows now making Flick and Khaine drowsy.

The correspondence is mostly what one would expect of this operation - requests for various specimens: more elves one week, dwarves the next, do you think you can find any red headed halflings another week, something more exotic? But a few pages detail reports of agents spotting a specific group of "troublesome cross species travelers" and speculation they'll be going to or through Newvale soon.

The vials are labeled: "Coleburn Apothecary, Hansfield LaneA country lane, to Maybell's knowledge somewhere north or northwest of Newvale. There are a few big family farms out that way. Some of those families have made good money in recent years.."

Edited by Blaeringr (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chalia Gremaris Elven Fighter 3

HP: 30/42 | AC: 20 (21 with shield) | speed: 25 (30) | hero: 3/3

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +8 (+10) | Will: +8

conditions: none

 

Chalia gave one of the vials to Kek, so he could figure out what it was and how to treat it and the other to Maybell for the address.

"He knew we would be traveling," she said as she went through the papers, "so he must have allies in Carisport. And he's doing a lot more than just harassing people on the road. This looks like a big problem, but we have our mission and those people also count on us. As soon as that guy comes around, we best ask some pointed questions, but then what?"

She also bound the unconscious guy so he wouldn't be able to get away or try funny business.

 

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 3


HP: 43/47 | AC: 21 | Speed: 35ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +6 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +11 | Will: +8 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions : Posioned


Khaine was still groggy, but he could tell it was wearing off. He remained sitting.

"We have to stick to our mission for now, but we need to bring this to the attention of the authorities. Perhaps we can nip it in the bud before it gets any worse. But as you said, there are already people relying on us, and we cannot let them down."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Kek tends to the arrow wounds of his companions, the poison continues its work

@Eagleheart and @omegoku please roll your 3rd fort saves against the poison. You're aiming for DC 18. Failure for either of you results in immediately losing consciousness, followed immediately by your 4th fort save, please.

Good news is that even if you fail all your saves, this poison will eventually clear out of your system without doing any damage or death. You have the cart. Your friends can put you in the cart to sleep it off while they travel.

The outriders in Newvale might want to have a look at some of this evidence.

Craftv alchemy (trained) to identify the poison specifically, DC 18.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.png Flick

HP: 30/30
AC: 17

Perception +7
Fort +7
Ref +7
Will +7

Flick can feel the poison sapping his strength, and just barely manages to stay on his feet. "What the heck did they put on their arrows...?"
Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Fort save
18
1d20+7 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chalia Gremaris Elven Fighter 3

HP: 30/42 | AC: 20 (21 with shield) | speed: 25 (30) | hero: 3/3

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +8 (+10) | Will: +8

conditions: none

 

"No idea," Chelia said, looking up from the documents , "but if I read these documents correctly, it will be something to make you unconscious, not kill you, as they probably use it for their snatching missions as well. I'm sure the sheriff in Newvale, or whatever they're called, will be very interested in these documents. Maybell, do you know anybody in law enforcement in your hometown we can trust with this?"

 

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 3[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 33/33 [b]AC:[/b] 19 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 2/2 L2 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 2/2 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 19 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 6 Rex 9 Wil 8 Per 8 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 19 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 3
HP: 33/33
AC: 19
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1 2/2 L2
Focus Points: 2/2
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 19
Status: Normal and Healthy
 

Statblock

 

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 6 Rex 9 Wil 8 Per 8
Speed: 25
AC: 19
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

 

"If we're not going to handle it... I at least know someone who may be able to get the right people to give it a try. Outriders in Newvale may be able to organize something" says Maybell as an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 3


HP: 43/47 | AC: 21 | Speed: 35ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +6 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +11 | Will: +8 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions : Posioned


Khaine does his best to fight off the poison. Though still a little shakey, he gets to his feet and takes a deep breath.

"It will take more than that to stop Flick and myself! Wonder how long it will take for our trussed up friend here to wake."

Edited by omegoku (see edit history)
Name
Fort
29
1d20+9 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg.a7481a41d1d5d3c341abb56a5a4796ed.jpeg

Chalia Gremaris Elven Fighter 3

HP: 30/42 | AC: 20 (21 with shield) | speed: 25 (30) | hero: 3/3

Perception: +8 | Fort: +8 | Ref: +8 (+10) | Will: +8

conditions: none

 

"Kek gave him quite a punch," Chelia said, "might be a while. Maybe we can load them onto the cart and move on and see when he comes around?"

 

OOC

exploration activity: scouting (gives a +2 to initiative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

kek-tok-sm
 

 

Hakaja Kek

HP: 42/42 ~ AC: 20 ~ Speed: 25
Fort: +7 ~ Ref: +9 ~ Will: +8 ~ Per: +8

Sheet link

 
 
Kek examines the vials and the correspondence, his mouth set in a grim line beneath the mask. "Sleeping poison ... and a request for living subjects? They came prepared," he says. "Something unspeakable is occurring. We must stop it."
He takes a moment to examine the handwriting on the vials and in the correspondence to see if it matches.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.5608fb58dc41e0a2a069cca4bb5ee382.png

Khaine - Human Monk 3


HP: 43/47 | AC: 21 | Speed: 35ft | Hero: 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 

Perception: +6 | Fort: +9 | Ref: +11 | Will: +8 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions : Posioned


Khaine nods.

"Good idea, lets take him with us for now. Something bad is happening, but we can't stop it just yet. If we pause here, we may never find those we were hired to look for. We will return once they are secured."

Khaine takes the tied up man and bundles him onto the cart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

spacer.png Flick

HP: 30/30
AC: 17

Perception +7
Fort +7
Ref +7
Will +7

"At least they aren't killing people, I guess..." Flick frowns a bit, but then nods in agreement with Khaine. "We have people to find, let's get back to it."
Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14th of Renewal, year 20


Evening, outskirts of Newvale/Riverhall


The Outriders of Newvale spend a good deal of time checking in on the surrounding villages and farms, and junior members, like Vannic can spend a month on the road at a time. Maybell's second cousin is on such a treck, having left this morning. But just outside of town, the adventurers spot a large log building with a flag out front bearing a white emblem of a horse on a shield on a forest green background - the Outriders' humble little main office. Stables and corrals sit nearby, a little further from the road, off in a wooded area.

The adventurers arrive there in the early evening, some on horseback, and some on their horse pulled wagon. Dennis - that's the name of the bandit archer they managed to capture - lies tied up in the back. Dennis regained consciousness a couple hours ago, and has been a bit chatty, despite the fact only hours earlier he was trying to drug and capture our brave band of adventurers to hand them over to a mad alchemist for live, and undoubtedly painful experiments.

Two humans, a dwarf, and a halfling stand outside the main doors smoking and chatting as the adventurers come along the road to Newvale as it passes by.


Have the adventurers questioned Dennis at all? Do they head for the Outriders' headquarters, or head into town?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[fieldset=Maybell Springfield][table=2,1] [r=1,1][img2=150]https://i.imgur.com/F9acM1T.png[/img2] [r=2,1][center][b][url=https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749][font=palatino linotype][size=4][color=Sienna]Maybell Springfield[/color][/size][/font][/url][/b] [I]Gutsy Halfling Bard 3[/I] [b]HP:[/b] 33/33 [b]AC:[/b] 19 [b]Spell Slots:[/b] 3/3 L1 2/2 L2 [b]Focus Points:[/b] 2/2 [b]Halfling Luck:[/b] 1/1 [b]Class DC:[/b] 19 [b]Status:[/b] Normal and Healthy [/center][/table] [spoiler=Statblock] [CENTER][table=3,1][r=1,1][URL="https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2839749"][size="4"][b]Maybell Springfield[/b][/size][/URL] [r=2,1] [B]Female Halfling Bard 2[/B] [r=3,1] [B]Neutral Good Entertainer[/B] [/table] [/CENTER] [table=2,1][r=1,1][B]STR:[/B] 8/-1 [B]DEX:[/B] 14/+2 [B]CON:[/B] 12/+1 [B]INT:[/B] 14/+2 [B]WIS:[/B] 12/+1 [B]CHA:[/B] 18/+4 [r=2,1][B]Saves:[/B] For 6 Rex 9 Wil 8 Per 8 [B]Speed:[/B] 25 [B]AC:[/B] 19 [B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling [/table][/spoiler] [/fieldset]
Maybell Springfield
F9acM1T.png
Maybell Springfield
Gutsy Halfling Bard 3
HP: 33/33
AC: 19
Spell Slots: 3/3 L1 2/2 L2
Focus Points: 2/2
Halfling Luck: 1/1
Class DC: 19
Status: Normal and Healthy
 

Statblock

 

Maybell Springfield Female Halfling Bard 2 Neutral Good Entertainer
STR: 8/-1
DEX: 14/+2
CON: 12/+1
INT: 14/+2
WIS: 12/+1
CHA: 18/+4
Saves: For 6 Rex 9 Wil 8 Per 8
Speed: 25
AC: 19
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Halfling

 

"Lets head for the Outriders office... they can help take care of this. If it is in our way we should definitely assist their efforts to stop the ringleader... if not, I'm sure they can handle it" offers May as they approach the headquarters... waving at the sitting men as they approach and taking the lead to chat.

 

"Good afternoon! My good men, we have urgent business here" she says, giving the men outside the gist of it... and depending on where and how it is better to discuss this, she'd reserve the time to give the whole account of their previous encounters with the Highwolves and this latest fight... including the letter and possibility that a crazy experimenter is working with them "We have a member prisoner... we should probably try to learn from him how many others are there and if they believe their headquarters is the address on the envelope"

 

Having said that, Maybell tries to remember whenever the place is on their way...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...