Character Connections

10 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

I see this a great connection possibility between Orville and Yengim. Yengim didn't generate any Contacts or Allies during the career path so there's no game mechanic connection to Juni Volsang but I am sure they are aware of each other by reputation at least. This would be middle of Yengim's career I went 5 terms paying the reroll so this would coincide with his 3rd term and his good fortune event. Perhaps this ruin site contained an item of true significance that Yengim was able to deduce. He would know that Orville discovered the site and probably formed a bond over shared riches and glory.

The TAS membership connection would work for Jimmy if either character needs a 2nd connection. I see some benefits for having your connections be to two different players though so I wouldn't want Orville's connection 1 to be Yengim and connection 2 to be Jimmy unless we both needed that second connection. It sounds like your primary has two strong possibilities for connection.

OK. Let's do that then. Orville and Yengim crossed paths at the archaeological site. He was reassigned to another planet after the site was found and secured, but they would definitely remember each other.

Also I'm working on something that when complete I will share but it is a single Google document trying to capture the web of discussed connections.

Here is a link to a google document that I believe captures all discussed connections in grey and confirmed connections in black. Remember TK said your primary and secondary characters shared a connection. Not shown is very one's connection to Uncle Vlen

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1nzahW1iHjj_nksmkspUX5J41eRE7NyPzJQFxfDBzgaA/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by LarsWester (see edit history)

3 hours ago, LarsWester said:

I see this a great connection possibility between Orville and Yengim. Yengim didn't generate any Contacts or Allies during the career path so there's no game mechanic connection to Juni Volsang but I am sure they are aware of each other by reputation at least. This would be middle of Yengim's career I went 5 terms paying the reroll so this would coincide with his 3rd term and his good fortune event. Perhaps this ruin site contained an item of true significance that Yengim was able to deduce. He would know that Orville discovered the site and probably formed a bond over shared riches and glory.

The TAS membership connection would work for Jimmy if either character needs a 2nd connection. I see some benefits for having your connections be to two different players though so I wouldn't want Orville's connection 1 to be Yengim and connection 2 to be Jimmy unless we both needed that second connection. It sounds like your primary has two strong possibilities for connection.

PSA:
Contact, Allies, Rivals and Enemies are NPC contacts, Which is confusing, as Traveller has Connections, which you can have 2 of to other Player Characters.
the NPCs don't give you anything besides people you know. Whereas the Connections, give you two skills at level 1

Connections can be linked to events in your past, but don't have to, but it's fun if they do.

1 hour ago, 8w_gremlin said:

PSA:
Contact, Allies, Rivals and Enemies are NPC contacts, Which is confusing, as Traveller has Connections, which you can have 2 of to other Player Characters.
the NPCs don't give you anything besides people you know. Whereas the Connections, give you two skills at level 1

Connections can be linked to events in your past, but don't have to, but it's fun if they do.

I have the 2020 Rulebook so this might have been updated in more recent releases.

"If two players agree, then any event rolled for one Traveller can involve another. Only one Traveller needs to have rolled the specific event, though you will find it
more exciting if Travellers can link events together (this is why it is best to create Travellers as a group activity, going through terms one by one together).
If an event can be linked between two Travellers in this way, then you both get one extra skill of your choice. You may gain a maximum of two free skills from the
connections rule, and each connection must be with a different Traveller. For each connection you make, you may gain any skill, but cannot bring a skill above Level 3 using this rule nor may you take the Jack-of-all-Trades skill."

If the above is still the Connections Rule as RAW then:

1. The connection should be tied to an event in at least one of two Travellers' career paths.

2. The bonus is a +1 to a skill not a skill at level 1. This is confusing as written "gain any skill" but the follow up text about it not bringing a skill above level 3 allows for increasing a 1 to 2 or a 2 to a 3.

3. Can't apply the bonus to a skill at level 3 or Jack-of-all-Trades.

4. Limited to two bonuses but not two connections. This is often overlooked but there is no mechanics reason for any player to have only one connections even if all other Travellers have two connections.

Does the link to the connection web work for others? Everyone should be able to edit the color of a confirmed connection or add a line between two travellers.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1nzahW1iHjj_nksmkspUX5J41eRE7NyPzJQFxfDBzgaA/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by LarsWester (see edit history)

On 7/9/2024 at 2:15 AM, 8w_gremlin said:

Alana Voss:
Seeking reliable contacts for high-end courier services. With a background in discreet and efficient deliveries, Alana brings unmatched professionalism despite past challenges, (including a prison stint for drug possession). Currently making ends meet as an exceptional barista, her Travellers' Aid Society membership allows her to travel frequently for work. If you need a dedicated courier who values discretion and quality, look no further than Alana Voss. (totally not a Zhodani Intelligence agent)

Nuekka:
Seeking expert conflict resolution and legal advisement? Meet Nuekka, a retired Vargr Arbitrator with unparalleled experience in mediating disputes and navigating complex political landscapes. Now offering her services as a private mediator and consultant, Nuekka specializes in conflict resolution for interstellar packs and factions. With her dignified presence and a history of overcoming adversity, she brings resilience, authority, and a deep understanding of Vargr society to every case. Connect with Nuekka for expert guidance and an unyielding dedication to justice and untangle your legal worries.

Connections

@Shadowstarr: OmegaRed: Zhodani are the most advanced with robotics, and Alana was caught with illegal drugs and sent to prison. might be an interesting run-in, might be something with Ven Yasha (I have npc's I need to set)

@solyrflair: same with Ariah, Alana has often taken passage on haulers, and getting illegal drugs, so perhaps a connection there?

Something associated with Yasha makes a lot of sense. half of it's terms were either being undercover within Yasha's orgination or trying to ruin his rep by beating him to a big score.

On 7/9/2024 at 1:55 PM, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Well, of the two characters I've rolled up, only one so far has much of a backstory, and that's Ahilauhas Tloea (Ahi to his friends) - a retired Captain from the Marines. Ahi's backstory can be found here, but in summary, he spent two terms in the Marines (specifically in Planetary Assault - i.e.: getting thrown out of starships at high speed towards the nearest planetary body.

Given the lack of major intergalactic conflicts during this period most of his time was spent in black-ops and peacekeeping duties, which is how he came to be familiar with Uncle Vlen, and also how he managed to make an enemy of Ven Yasha.

So, there's a possibility that he'll be acquainted with any other ex-marines, or possibly with some local law-enforcement types from Regina (or thereabouts). He's Aslan, so any other Aslan's from the Marches could also be connections given that they're generally a minority race in this neck of the woods.

For the other character - Chientkiepr, he's a Zhodani. Incredibly strong Psion, but never really amounted to much of anything. Naturally unlucky, weak and clumsy, he's sort of bumbled his way through life thus far. He spent eight years in Psionic training, but never really boosted his talents too much, then spent a term as an Agent (I'm imagining as a spy for either the Zhodani Government, or a megacorp. This didn't really work out as he discovered something he shouldn't have, and so had to do a runner ... So, he wound up getting drafted into the Navy (I'm thinking here in Imperial space), but got popsicled incorrectly in Cryo (I did say he was unlucky) and so junked out from there. For connections here, I'm guessing either another Zhodani - another agent perhaps? - or someone from Imperial Law Enforcement who might have been keeping tabs on him? - or, if we agree on him being an agent for one of the Megacorps, then possibly some suit/exec from that corp?

This second one is probably the most flexible as there's currently no real backstory for him so feel free to goChientkiepr to town with suggestions...

Connections?

@RagallachMC  There seems to be some possibilities for connections between Ahi and both of your characters - for Cayne, the connection could be the operation Ahi was on to try to eliminate Yasha. With Orville, then it's probably more a tentative connection because of their shared Marine service.

Looks like there's also the possibility for a Cayne to share a connection with Chientkiepr - he could be the spy you were referring to, and finding him out could be the reason he had to leave his Agency ways behind ...

@Shadowstarr Same goes with your robot character ... I can see Ahi being involved with local law enforcement whilst on some of his black-ops excursions (if only making certain that local law-enforcement don't get underfoot) ... in a similar (but dimetrically opposite vein) then there could be a connection to the clumsy Zhodani agent falling foul of the law whilst in Imperial space...

the Ahi connection sounds good to me, lets do it.

50 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

Does the link to the connection web work for others? Everyone should be able to edit the color of a confirmed connection or add a line between two travellers.

OOH, nice!

3 hours ago, LarsWester said:

liking that. Makes it all so much clearer

@Suzuki Stumpy Chhientkiepr sounds like the luck blighted sort that Jimmy Guezal would find a kinship. Perhaps Jimmy processed some paperwork for the Zhodani at one point in the past. If you went with the Corporate Agent path than Jimmy "rubber stamp" Guezal could be a possible connection.

@solyrflair Wondering if Nien Ten and Yengim knew each other as scientists early in their careers. Maybe there was a collaboration on a archeo-gentics paper before Yengim went all in on his Ancients origin theory-crafting.

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, LarsWester said:

@solyrflair Wondering if Nien Ten and Yengim knew each other as scientists early in their careers. Maybe there was a collaboration on a archeo-gentics paper before Yengim went all in on his Ancients origin theory-crafting.

Thoughts?

Yes. I really hadn't gotten to Ten yet, since it is a secondary character. But that was what I was thinking. The archeological establishment mixed with genetics and cybernetics science would be a definite collaboration, and the reason Ten picked up the Enemy with Val Yasha

On 7/9/2024 at 1:55 PM, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Connections?

@RagallachMC  There seems to be some possibilities for connections between Ahi and both of your characters - for Cayne, the connection could be the operation Ahi was on to try to eliminate Yasha. With Orville, then it's probably more a tentative connection because of their shared Marine service.

Looks like there's also the possibility for a Cayne to share a connection with Chientkiepr - he could be the spy you were referring to, and finding him out could be the reason he had to leave his Agency ways behind ...

Cayne & Ahi: His run-in with Yasha was in Term 2 if that timing works for you, we can go with it.

Cayne & Chientkiepr: The Spy event was in Term 3. Again, if that timing works we can flesh out the story a bit and go with it. The only hiccup, is that Cayne gained an enemy as part of the event. If not Chientkiepr, then who? His handlers? Maybe there was another spy working with Chientkiepr?

Edited by RagallachMC (see edit history)